Finebaum quoting Sheridan on SEC

quietfan

Assuming Finebaum has accurately quoted Danny Sheridan, he (Sheridan) had some interesting comments:

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/pf...3390.xml&coll=3

"Entering the season, the SEC has six legitimate top 15 teams," Sheridan said, referencing Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Auburn and Alabama. "I don't agree with Tennessee ranked No. 3 in the country. They have a very good football team, are well-coached, but the schedule will do them in (back-to-back road games at Florida and LSU and an October visit to Alabama).

"This year, I foresee the best SEC teams having at least two losses. The only team that could possibly have only one loss is LSU because of a favorable home schedule. On paper, it is difficult to separate Florida, Tennessee and Georgia. But I like Florida to win the East followed by Tennessee and Georgia. South Carolina will come in next because of excellent coaching, but the talent is not there."

Sheridan expressed disbelief over Alabama's failures over the last two years under Mike Shula.

"If you had told me this talented Alabama team, regardless of injuries, would be 10-15 over the last two years, I would have done you a favor and ordered you a straight jacket," Sheridan said.

"Based on a favorable schedule -- seven cream puffs and three of the four toughest games at home -- it's hard to imagine this Alabama team not winning eight or nine games and being in a New Year's Day bowl game."

Sheridan has some concerns about Shula, in particular the adjustments being made during the games.

"Last year, in Alabama's six losses, they were outscored in the second half 74-12," Sheridan said. "What does that tell you? Some say it's injuries. Several coaches I've talked to the last two years who played Alabama told me they didn't make good adjustments at halftime. Even several Northern Illinois players, after upsetting Alabama in 2003, publicly said Alabama did what we expected them to do and made no adjustments at halftime.

"All the coaches I've spoken to said Dennis Franchione left Alabama a lot of talent. Remember, Mike Shula inherited a 10-3 team that was on the rise."

In spite of this, Sheridan said Alabama -- at least on paper -- looks to be on track for a solid year.

How does Alabama compare to Auburn?

"You would think that after losing four of the last five to Auburn, the law of averages might come into play in this series," Sheridan said. "Beginning the season, it's reasonable to assume that Alabama has the better quarterback and running backs, therefore Alabama would rate an overall edge on offense. Defensively, there is no comparison. Ala bama's defense is rated No. 2 in the country and is pretty much intact, if not better. Auburn will field a very solid defense, however Alabama rates an edge here."

So who wins the Alabama-Auburn game?

"At this stage, I'd (still) pick Auburn to make it five of the last six," he said.

Sheridan is going with the favored LSU Tigers in the West, followed by Auburn and Alabama.

Sheridan said Auburn, despite major losses, "could easily be 9-2."

His opinion of the coaching abilities at Bama parallels my own closely. "..no adjustments at halftime"--wasn't that one of the biggest strikes against Nall-Ball at Auburn? I don't think you have to look beyond the Iron bowl last November to realize that Shula is no offensive genius.

I don't see how anyone can say there is "no comparison" between Bama's defense and ours! There's no denying that Bama had a very strong defense last year, but so did we. They may have lead us in yards allowed (the so-called "total defense" catagory), but we led them in points allowed (the only thing that matters on the scoreboard). I can tolerate his giving Bama "an edge" [a slight one!] as being an informed difference in opinion, but to say "there is no comparison?" !! :blink::angry:

By season's end there will be no comparison in the defenses. Even with Bammer's creampuff schedule, their defense will spend a LOT of time on the field due to lack of depth in the OL. Bammer's defense may be talented, but they are not deep, and that lack of depth and time on the field will catch up with them. Then, there is 2006 when most of that defensive talent graduates.......

Referring to Sheridan's first comment, and others I have read this pre-season, I don't understand why people mention a team's future schedule in any way shape or form when they talk about their ranking! What in the world does a future showdown have to do with how good you think a team is??!?! So, let's say USC was going to play the Patriots, and they will lose, does that mean you are going to count them with a loss already in the future and drop them in your poll? If you think a team is #3 in the country today, rank them #3, don't take the line that "well, they are the 3rd best team in the country, but have to play at LSU and will probably suffer a loss, so let's just put them #5. And it should work the other way too, if you think LSU (for example) is better than USC today, but rank USC #1 because you think LSU will suffer a loss in the tougher SEC schedule, then you are not being objective and fair. My point is, that when a pollster sits down to rank the teams, he does it based on everything he knows about the team to that day, not some projected tough game in the future.

i know i'm new to this board and all but i think its about time we stop paying attention to finebaum. nothing that this jerk has ever written or put on his show has been in the interest accurate sports analysis. he constantly makes fun of every school in the sec even when they go undefeated. All he is good for is stirring the pot. I used to listen to his show every now and then but i realized that it is intended for a much less intelligent audience. i mean can we really take someone serious who constantly allows people like phyllis and jim to justify their ignorance and then even agrees with them sometimes. I think its time for a finebaum ban, we're better than this guys.

By season's end there will be no comparison in the defenses.  Even with Bammer's creampuff schedule, their defense will spend a LOT of time on the field due to lack of depth in the OL.  Bammer's defense may be talented, but they are not deep, and that lack of depth and time on the field will catch up with them.  Then, there is 2006 when most of that defensive talent graduates.......

177881[/snapback]

Agree completely. I also think that their secondary is vastly overrated. They got the stats down to "prove" that they will be a tough defense but you need to look closely to see how they got there. Last season, the 3 best passing teams in the SEC were UGA, UF & AU. uat lucked out schedule-wise & ducked playing UGA with Green & UF with Leak. AU with Campbell torched their vaunted secondary in the IB for 200+ yards.

This year they can't hide against good passing teams. They get to go on the road against Spurrier's S. Carolina team and also AU in J-H. Also, they host UF. We shall see if the hype about their secondary is legit or not.

Archived