Softball: Puerto Vallarta Challenge

Auburn’s game against Wichita State (initially scheduled for 6pm Friday), has been moved to Wednesday at 4pm. 

also made this thread for discussion purposes. War eagle. 

• Like 1

We flew out Tuesday. I'm assuming this means the team won't get any practice time on the field other than warm-ups today. 

I'm glad they made the move due to weather in Puerto Vallarta. We've already lost 2 games due to weather, with another being a tie. Hopefully, the girls can get all 4 games in this week. 

Nebraska star, Jordy Bahl (former Oklahoma pitcher), injured her ACL on this field last week. The field doesn't look as immaculate as what we are used to in the SEC. Hopefully no injuries for anyone this week...

Edited by all4AU
  • Like 1

Just now, Big Fat Barner said:

This offense is really really bad. 7 Ks and 3 hits on the day. Fortunate that their pitchers aren’t throwing strikes (9 walks). 

Make that 8 strikeouts. We are in for a long season offensively. 

As it stands right now, going into the 7th:

Auburn has walked 10 times, struck out 8 times. 
Auburn is 3-21 as a team (.142), has zero extra base hits today.

Howell came in for Wichita State and struck out 5 of our batters, gave up no hits. Stephen F. Austin hit for 3 runs off 3 hits against her in just 2 innings.

Little (a lot) worried about this offense. especially since we will likely see Utah’s Mariah Lopez and Clemson’s Valerie Cagle in the matter of days.

For those wondering Auburn is heading into the 7 up 6-1

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

For those wondering Auburn is heading into the 7 up 6-1

It’s now 6-5 after a Wichita State grand slam because Coach Mickey Mouse threw Emmah Rolfe into the game.

• Like 1

Well we won. But Mickey Dean’s awful coaching rears its ugly head again. Got two much bigger games in the next few days.  this offense is atrocious and nobody but Penta looks to be legit in the circle. 

i’m hard on this team, but I was proud of them for responding after giving up the lead, but not too proud because we gave a 5-run lead. 

• Like 1

Auburn beats #13 Utah 1-0 on a walk off walk by Makayla Packer. Great duel between Lopez and Penta. Lopez couldn't find the zone during that last at bat with Packer. 4 straight balls, none close. Huge win for our girls! 

• Like 5

Team beats Utah 1-0. Penta goes the distance (she’s incredible). 

My Takeaways:

- Lopez is a pretty good pitcher, Auburn struck for 0 XBH, but drew 7 walks and inked 8 hits. 
- I thought the offense hit well (over .300 against Lopez), but holy cow it is almost  impossible for them to get a base hit or even put it in play with runners in scoring position (0-8 with RISP and they stranded 10 runners). 
- There were some head scratchers from Dean (as usual). He didn’t sacrifice bunt three times with runners on and nobody out and the aftermath of the next few batters would’ve likely scored a run each time. 

Much bigger fish on Saturday as we will likely see Cagle (and Garcia, may I add) against Clemson. 

44 minutes ago, all4AU said:

Auburn beats #13 Utah 1-0 on a walk off walk by Makayla Packer. Great duel between Lopez and Penta. Lopez couldn't find the zone during that last at bat with Packer. 4 straight balls, none close. Huge win for our girls! 

So Packer walked? The bases must have been loaded? How did Packer get a walk-off out of a walk? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mikey

53 minutes ago, Mikey said:

So Packer walked? The bases must have been loaded? How did Packer get a walk-off out of a walk? Thanks in advance.

Correct. We had 1 hit and 3 walks in the inning. Packer walked on 4 straight pitches to end the game. 

• Thanks 2

We struggled to get a timely hit against Utah, but I’ve liked our approach at the plate in Puerto Vallarta. The team has been more patient, resulting in more walks and a higher OBP%, but they’ll need to more aggressive when there are runners on base in order to score more runs. 

I’d like to see this order for the Clemson game:

1. Peralta (SS)

2. McCrary (LF)

3. Wohlers (3B)

4. Lech (1B)

5. Tresvik (RF)

6. Elkins (C)

7. Roberts / Clemmons / Smith (DP)

8. Packer (CF)

9. Roach (2B)

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Jad0003 said:

We struggled to get a timely hit against Utah, but I’ve liked our approach at the plate in Puerto Vallarta. The team has been more patient, resulting in more walks and a higher OBP%, but they’ll need to more aggressive when there are runners on base in order to score more runs. 

1. Peralta (SS)

2. McCrary (LF)

3. Wohlers (3B)

4. Lech (1B)

5. Tresvik (RF)

6. Elkins (C)

8. Packer (CF)

9. Roach (2B)

I like that lineup. It was nice to have a clean defensive game against Utah. First dry conditions we've had in quite some time. 

19 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yes, bases were loaded.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Big Fat Barner said:

Team beats Utah 1-0. Penta goes the distance (she’s incredible). 

My Takeaways:

- Lopez is a pretty good pitcher, Auburn struck for 0 XBH, but drew 7 walks and inked 8 hits. 
- I thought the offense hit well (over .300 against Lopez), but holy cow it is almost  impossible for them to get a base hit or even put it in play with runners in scoring position (0-8 with RISP and they stranded 10 runners). 
- There were some head scratchers from Dean (as usual). He didn’t sacrifice bunt three times with runners on and nobody out and the aftermath of the next few batters would’ve likely scored a run each time. 

Much bigger fish on Saturday as we will likely see Cagle (and Garcia, may I add) against Clemson. 

FYI on Garcia - her current hitting stats as of now - on base - .203, slugging - .294, batting average - .176.  She's playing right field.  I hope she doesn't start getting in her grove until after we play them!

17 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

1. Peralta (SS)

2. McCrary (LF)

3. Wohlers (3B)

4. Lech (1B)

5. Tresvik (RF)

6. Elkins (C)

8. Packer (CF)

9. Roach (2B)

If Smith and McCrary are both in the lineup, Abbey should play LF and McCrary should DP. She’s a whole lot better defensively. 

• Like 1

I would maybe move Peralta down to see if that helps get her out of her slump.

1. Packer - CF

2. McCrary - LF

3. Peralta - SS

4. Lech - 1B

5. Wohlers - 3B

6. Tresvik - RF

7. Elkins - C

8. Roberts - DP

9. Roach - 2B

I agree on moving Peralta down to 3rd. 

1. Smith - LF 

2. Wohlers - 3B 

3. Peralta - SS

4. Lech - 1B

5. Tresvik - RF 

6. McCrary - DP

7. Elkins - C 

8. Packer - CF

9. Roach - 2B

On 2/17/2024 at 3:15 PM, Big Fat Barner said:

I agree on moving Peralta down to 3rd. 

1. Smith - LF 

2. Wohlers - 3B 

3. Peralta - SS

4. Lech - 1B

5. Tresvik - RF 

6. McCrary - DP

7. Elkins - C 

8. Packer - CF

9. Roach - 2B

I like this lineup the more I look at it. The only changed I’d make is move Peralta 2nd and Wohlers to 3rd to break up the lefty bats in the lineup. I’m not sure if Smith isn’t getting on base at a high enough percentage to be in the lineup or if Dean wants Roberts or Clemmons for power bats, but we need to figure out ways to manufacture more runs. 

• Like 1