Softball 2024 season

Shelby Lowe and Annabelle Widra combined for a no hitter yesterday in a 5 inning 8-0 win. 

ABW was also the star at the plate going yard twice. 

Anyone know why Longwood dropped out of the tournament?  Sounds like they canceled 1 day to start then the full weekend.  This was after their first game.  Unforeseen circumstances. 

Good win. Widra is a very good athlete. For whatever reason she's seldom mentioned as an everyday player. I understand she was in a big slump last year.  Our offense could use another power lefty bat. I sure hope she gets more swings. WDE!!

Virginia Tech beat Georgia last night. Wichita State also beat Arkansas last night. Should be good for our RPI. 

• Like 1

And Northern Iowa beat us today.  Bad 4th inning.  Peralta uses poor technique and allows a run in, Wohlers throws one away, Lech misjudges a pop fly at first.  6 hits for Auburn and 2 for UNI, but they win 4-2.  They looked better than us the whole game.

• Like 1

If their are any Dean supporters out there, I will fight you. 

John Cohen or Allen Greene doesn’t give a s*** about softball because if Butch had been as mediocre as Dean for this long, he’d been gone. 

Infuriating. Always the women that have to suffer. Shame on this administration. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Although I've seen enough of Lech to know I'm a big fan.  Leads the SEC in homers with 5 (at least she did... BriBombs are flying in Bogle lately). But she's filled the power void from 1st Base that left with Ellis. 

• Like 2

Auburn leads UNI 1-0 going to bot 4 in the Sunday game.  Heyer pitching for UNI, Penta for us.  Each has 6 Ks.  In the 2d, Packer singled, stole second, took 3d on a PB, and scored on a bunt from Peralta. 

Had runners on 2d and 3d  with one out in bot 4, but Peralta struck out, and Penta popped out.

Edited by OlderWhiskey
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Auburn leads UNI 1-0 going to bot 4 in the Sunday game.  Heyer pitching for UNI, Penta for us.  Each has 6 Ks.  In the 2d, Packer singled, stole second, took 3d on a PB, and scored on a bunt from Peralta. 

Had runners on 2d and 3d  with one out in bot 4, but Peralta struck out, and Penta popped out.

How are you following the game?  I clicked on the icon to listen to the game and get nothing.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Following through Sidearm Stats.  Click on the bar graph.

Going to top 6, still 1-0.  Tresvik, Wohlers, and Lech will be due up in our half.

McDermott came in to pitch for UNI.  She walked two, but struck out Packer and Peralta.  Going to top 7.  Smith playing left as of top 6.  3 outs needed.

Edited by OlderWhiskey
  • Thanks 1

Penta had a no-no, but faced 23 batters.  Earlier baserunner got on via a Peralta error.  11Ks for Penta, 10 for the UNI pitchers.  The pitcher who started today (Heyer) is not the pitcher from yesterday (Wishnowski).  Damn, they have some good pitching.  Auburn had two hits on the day (Tresvik and Packer).

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Softball 2024 season
36 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Auburn had two hits on the day (Tresvik and Packer).

smh....I hope we can improve on this before conference play

On 2/25/2024 at 3:40 PM, Golden Eagle said:

Sure would like to see more offense from Auburn...

Understatement of the year

I know I’m usually negative Nancy on here, and I know it was Georgia State who we beat tonight, but I thought we played well. 

For those who don’t know, Auburn beat Georgia State, 8-0 in 6 innings.

i’ve been saying all year Auburn is not a HR/hard hitting team. Tonight, Dean played situational softball and was able to manufacture runs. This is what we need to do this year. Saw several sac bunts and sac flies tonight and thats something i have not seen much of this year.

no strikeouts among the starters tonight. The only two strikeouts were from Stroud (pinch hitter who, by the way, is 0-4 with 4 Ks this year, yikes) and Roberts (has 5 Ks this year).

Still a strong advocate for having Abbey Smith in the lineup, but I don’t see that changing unfortunately. Mariah Penta should be everyday starter as well. 

The main thing is to just play smart softball and realize that we aren’t going to hit XBHs every game (sure would be nice) but that’s not who this team is. 

war eagle. 

With all the rain outs, I'd like to see Mickey give some of the other pitchers some work. No use in pitching Penta against Georgia State. She ran out of gas in the SEC Tournament and Regionals last year. Looks like we are headed that way again. 

• Like 1

I'm glad that Penta pitched a perfect game, but c'mon. Games like this one should be used to get other pitchers ready for big-time play, not have your #1 who is an all-American anyway pitch an extra 6 innings.

• Like 4

In the second game there were good defensive plays by both teams.  The USC Upstate pitcher was good.  What little I have seen this season, I thought the team looked improved.  In first game that was a nice HR by "baby Penta".  The bases loaded shot by Packer was the classic "no doubter".

https://auburntigers.com/news/2024/3/3/softball-no-25-tigers-walk-off-a-pair-of-wins-for-sunday-sweep-at-jane-b-moore-memorial.aspx

• Like 2

7 hours ago, slot canyon said:

The bases loaded shot by Packer was the classic "no doubter".

I don't think she had any home runs last year, so I was glad to see her return to her earlier form with the grand slam. 

Edited by TD1

3 hours ago, TD1 said:

I don't think she had any home runs last year, saw I was glad to see her return to her earlier form with the grand slam. 

She had an injury to her core last year. It's nice to see the power returning.

• Like 1

Anybody have any lineup predictions for Missouri this weekend? With all of the cancellations, I don’t think the coaches have had time to figure out this lineup yet!

Edited by Big Fat Barner

On 3/4/2024 at 9:17 PM, Big Fat Barner said:

Anybody have any lineup predictions for Missouri this weekend? With all of the cancellations, I don’t think the coaches have had time to figure out this lineup yet!

It seems that Mickey has settled with Aubrie as the catcher for Penta. They have a good rapport with each other. 

Wondering if Elkins will DP when Aubrie catches, but Mariah Penta has done pretty well at the plate as well. 

I expect this weekend to tell us a lot about this year’s team and how we will perform in the SEC and postseason.