Spring Game will not be televised

37 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Is this an Auburn decision?

ESPN’s announcement of games released Monday states schools including Auburn, Texas A&M and Vanderbilt “will also produce All-Access shows instead of traditional spring football showcases.” The programming will be produced by the schools themselves instead of ESPN or the SEC Network.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Eagle-2 said:

Why am I not surprised?

ESPN has been a major recruiting service for Alabama for nearly two decades.

Have you seen ESPN's list of spring games?  This has nothing to do with Alabama.    The fact that AL.com tried to gloss over it is hilarious. 

Every SEC team except Auburn, Vandy and aTm will be available in some shape or form.  

Edit:  Texas A&M will be televised on ESPN+/SECN on Sat April 20th at 2:00 pm.

Edited by JerryAU

Just now, JerryAU said:

Have you seen ESPN's list of spring games?  This has nothing to do with Alabama.    The fact that AL.com tried to gloss over it is hilarious. 

Every SEC team except Auburn and Vandy will be available in some shape or form.  

You think omission of the team that shares the same state as UAESPN had nothing to do with it?

I ain't buying it. ESPN has been honking Bamas Bobo for years.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eagle-2 said:

You think omission of the team that shares the same state as UAESPN had nothing to do with it?

They are airing 4 (FOUR) spring games from the state of Georgia for crying out loud.  UGA/GaTech/Kennesaw St/Ga Southern. 

But they chose to omit Auburn for the first time in forever all because we share a state with Alabama?   I ain't buying that.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JerryAU said:

They are airing 4 (FOUR) spring games from the state of Georgia for crying out loud.  UGA/GaTech/Kennesaw St/Ga Southern. 

But they chose to omit Auburn for the first time in forever all because we share a state with Alabama?   I ain't buying that.  

OK then, what's your hypothesis for why the television network who's front office is full of Alabama graduates decided to omit Auburn?

Maybe they just couldn't find enough hotel rooms in Auburn in April.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Eagle-2 said:

OK then, what's your hypothesis for why the television network who's front office is full of Alabama graduates decided to omit Auburn?

Maybe they just couldn't find enough hotel rooms in Auburn in April.

I have no hypothesis; I'm frankly confused as to why Auburn's game is not aired. :dunno:

Georgia/Texas/Florida all get 4 teams aired.  Virginia/NoCarolina/Kentucky/Mississippi all get 2 teams, etc.

Is this the start of relegation?  Has anyone at Auburn made a statement (I may have missed it) or even mentioned the situation? 

Edited by JerryAU

1 minute ago, JerryAU said:

I have no hypothesis; I'm frankly confused as to why Auburn's game is not aired. :dunno:

Georgia/Texas/Florida all get 4 teams aired.  Virginia/NoCarolina/Kentucky all get 2 teams, etc.

Is this the start of relegation?  Has anyone at Auburn made a statement (I may have missed it) or even mentioned the situation? 

Auburn signed too many blue chip players from the state this past class. 

Can't begin to let the cow  college get on equal footing with the vaunted Tide.

That's my conspiracy theory, and until I hear something different I'm sticking with it.

Listen, I get why ESPN wouldn't want to put together a Vandy production, but ESPN has exclusive rights to the SEC and there's zero excuse to not stream Auburn's game.

The Auburn Administration, the SEC (Sankey) Freeze, Cohen should be raising hell over this snub.  Unless for whatever reason Auburn chose not to have it aired?  I'd think exposure and branding alone would be incentive enough to have ESPN do a live broadcast?  

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Spring Game will not be televised
54 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Is this an Auburn decision?

ESPN’s announcement of games released Monday states schools including Auburn, Texas A&M and Vanderbilt “will also produce All-Access shows instead of traditional spring football showcases.” The programming will be produced by the schools themselves instead of ESPN or the SEC Network.

With an increasingly high amount of programs (incl. Auburn) attempting to get their own paywalled networks going, this makes a ton of sense. I would say Auburn is ahead of the curve on this one. May not be a move that becomes standardized today, but I could see it it in a handful of years 

23 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

With an increasingly high amount of programs (incl. Auburn) attempting to get their own paywalled networks going, this makes a ton of sense. I would say Auburn is ahead of the curve on this one. May not be a move that becomes standardized today, but I could see it it in a handful of years 

This kind of makes sense. In this new era of CFB, schools may be doing all they can to retain more of their money. If Auburn can do it and charge per stream, they could likely keep all that money.

• Like 1

I bet you this is more of Auburn’s doing than ESPN. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Bingo. And may well be a sign that our spring game will be substantive for a change (read: keeping it behind closed doors rather than having bamas moonpie D staff look at our O development under new coaches). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eagle-2 said:

Yep 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Maybe, but BSPN is a mouthpiece for turd nation. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Agree. I seriously doubt ESPN chose to air Kennesaw State and GA Southern's spring game and reject Auburn's. 

Why Auburn chose this is another question. I have no idea. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Agree. I seriously doubt ESPN chose to air Kennesaw State and GA Southern's spring game and reject Auburn's. 

Why Auburn chose this is another question. I have no idea. 

Couple reasons that might amount to nothing:

1. Not sure it benefit Auburn much for the game to be shown on tv. Like a blackout, it might encourage more people who truly love Auburn to go to the game and/or purchase it through them for access.

2. The coaches want every advantage possible including in a generally meaningless spring game. 

• Like 1

Freeze is installing the Whirly-Fairweather and doesn’t want other coaches to see it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Couple reasons that might amount to nothing:

1. Not sure it benefit Auburn much for the game to be shown on tv. Like a blackout, it might encourage more people who truly love Auburn to go to the game and/or purchase it through them for access.

2. The coaches want every advantage possible including in a generally meaningless spring game. 

Those are very reasonable theories. 

I wonder if the university gets paid by ESPN for airing these spring games. 

• Like 1

Does anyone else find it odd that there’s been no statement made by an Auburn representative?

Edited by keesler
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, DAG said:

It definitely is. Some people trying to make this an Auburn vs. Alabama thing and that ain’t it. ESPN would love to show Auburn’s spring game but Auburn’s doing its own thing for better or worse 

14 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Bingo. And may well be a sign that our spring game will be substantive for a change (read: keeping it behind closed doors rather than having bamas moonpie D staff look at our O development under new coaches). 

I don't see that as a reason. All they have to do is buy a couple of tickets for coaches or pay for the streaming.

• Like 1