About Chad Baker-Mazara: That's on Coach Pearl

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I love what Coach Pearl has done for auburn basketball but.....

This was what? The 10th, 12th straight game in which CBM did something really STUPID? He may have been pulled from the game until the next rotation, but the appropriate action was never taken. Without checking, I believe CBM was assessed more technical fouls than the entire rest of the team combined. Weeks ago, he should have been held out of a following game. If a home game, stay in the dorm. If a road game, stay behind in Auburn. That should have gotten a message through. He hurt the seam somewhat on earlier occasions and his actions came to full fruition Friday. His presence on the court would have been worth three more points.

By letting CBM get away with this behavior, Coach Pearl didn't do the player any favors as far as learning limits to his actions and in the long run it cost us a game. Here's hoping both coach and player learned from yesterday's tragedy.

You nailed it. Plus, KD received a lot of technicals too, but he won’t be a problem next year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

This was what? The 10th, 12th straight game in which CBM did something really STUPID? He may have been pulled from the game until the next rotation, but the appropriate action was never taken. Without checking, I believe CBM was assessed more technical fouls than the entire rest of the team combined. Weeks ago, he should have been held out of a following game. If a home game, stay in the dorm. If a road game, stay behind in Auburn. That should have gotten a message through. He hurt the seam somewhat on earlier occasions and his actions came to full fruition Friday. His presence on the court would have been worth three more points.

By letting CBM get away with this behavior, Coach Pearl didn't do the player any favors as far as learning limits to his actions and in the long run it cost us a game. Here's hoping both coach and player learned from yesterday's tragedy.

Reminds me of previous years' teams that would take really stupid shots, over and over. And a bunch of us would ask if BP even discussed shot selection with the team or let then do whatever they want? I feel like i remember hearing him say in an interview that he didnt discuss shot selection.

The way BP talked about the CBM flagrant, he kept saying it was 'innapropiate but....' like it was a forgone conclusion CBM was gonna hit him back. I like BP. But sometimes I wonder about a bunch of his coaching decisions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PUB78 said:

You nailed it. Plus, KD received a lot of technicals too, but he won’t be a problem next year.

KD can still come back next year iirc. So can Cardwell. 

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

OR his decision to not only recruit Wendell, Zep, and KD but then keep them over going and getting better guards (like Mark Sears??). He wasted generational talent with that decision.

BP is great. BP saved Auburn basketball. Yada Yada yada. But BP makes alot of mistakes. 

• Like 7

One of my keys to the game, 

play smart and disciplined. 
we didn’t.

Another warning was Pearls crying about the seed and location.

Most teams don’t care and cherish the chance to even be in the thing.

Auburn for some reason thought we deserved some special treatment.

A wasted year and would have been better to not even have made it, cause 

we sure didn’t show up

• Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

One of my keys to the game, 

play smart and disciplined. 
we didn’t.

Another warning was Pearls crying about the seed and location.

Most teams don’t care and cherish the chance to even be in the thing.

Auburn for some reason thought we deserved some special treatment.

A wasted year and would have been better to not even have made it, cause 

we sure didn’t show up

Which makes me ask again.  Has the program hit its ceiling with Pearl? We have got past the round of 32 a total of 1 time during his watch

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Dislike 1

When interviewed (at least the one I saw), Pearl was in denial that it was a flagrant 2, which it clearly was.

I also read that CBM tweeted "LOL" after he was ejected but deleted the tweet sometime thereafter.  Very immature.

Both Pearl and CBM need a reality check.  Pearl let this behavior go on way too long.  And CBM is being paid way too much in scholarship and NIL money to make mistakes like that.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Which makes me ask again.  Has the program hit its ceiling with Pearl? We have got past the round of 32 a total of 1 time during his watch

BuT wItHoUt HiM, wE'lL sInK bAcK iNtO iRrElEvEnCy! 

No such thing as building on a solid foundation with scared Auburn fans who think it's BP or back to the Barbee days with no other choices.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

I'm afraid that if the program has hit the ceiling with Pearl, then it has hit an immovable ceiling.  No coach is going to do better at AU than Pearl, I don't think.

But we may eventually give Will Wade a chance to see what he can do after Pearl looks for greener pastures elsewhere, which I think he will do in the next year or two.  I think he's finally seeing that he can't get the types of transcendental players at AU that he thought he could eventually get.  And he's getting long in the tooth and is longing for a National Championship.  And Indiana has the lore and tradition that would draw those types of players.

Pearl can get enuf players at AU to win a Natty. Esp with NIL and the portal. For some reason he is stubborn as a mule and refuses to upgrade the PG position.  This is the 3rd yr in a row that a blind squirrel could see he needs to upgrade the PG and he just refuses to do it. Our PG's had more turnovers than points yesterday. I feel sorry for Aiden, his confidence is gone. Tre needs to be a safety on the football team .It's mind boggling. Cole can breakdown basketball with the best of them. There is a reason he has been screaming from the mountain tops for BP to get a PG.

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

That’s a question no one probably wants to answer because of where Auburn came from. In the real world it’s about where we currently are and hope to get to. Georgia football eventually said this isn’t good enough and it paid off. Maybe have to revisit this in about two years .

*On a personal note I think being under Jordan Brand or Nike would help in Basketball. I wouldn’t wear a pair of UA bball shoes even if they were free lol. UA is pretty on par with Nike in the football department.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

BuT wItHoUt HiM, wE'lL sInK bAcK iNtO iRrElEvEnCy! 

No such thing as building on a solid foundation with scared Auburn fans who think it's BP or back to the Barbee days with no other choices.

That's what some think for sure. 

Just my opinion, but being tough can't be faked in basketball or football. And so a person that's really about that is going to be a certain way.... And that is needed. They need to be smart though and unfortunately we didn't get that. But emotions are emotions and we absolutely needed toughness, looked at how we melted when it got tough. 

There aren't too many great players I can think of that haven't gotten into altercations on the court.... We need what he gave us. I would have rather loss anybody minus JB than him. 

I fully believe if we don't lose him we win. Not only win but win by at least 10.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Pearl can get enuf players at AU to win a Natty. Esp with NIL and the portal. For some reason he is stubborn as a mule and refuses to upgrade the PG position.  This is the 3rd yr in a row that a blind squirrel could see he needs to upgrade the PG and he just refuses to do it. Our PG's had more turnovers than points yesterday.  It's mind boggling. Cole can breakdown basketball with the best of them. There is a reason he has been screaming from the mountain tops for BP to get a PG.

This. Even giving Pearl grace not having a guy with jabari..... There is no way we don't go search for the best PG on the market after that.

It's the equivalent of not looking for a QB this year after we saw we couldn't throw for 100 yards in multiple games..... Ok maybe you can coach somebody up (doubt it but maybe) clearly you still bring somebody in for competition, maybe injury, etc. You don't sit pat then lose to the same exact problem again. 

Then watch a guy you didn't go after become 2nd team all American, all Sec.... That's crazy

• Like 2

Pearl lost Davion Mitchell, and lost out on Scoot Henderson.  Then crapped the bed by not recruiting Mark Sears, while our rival got him and thrived.

But he invested years in Wendell Green, allowing him to shoot logo threes and drive roughshod into the lane against multiple trees, ala KD Johnson.  Which probably accounted for much of the "culture problem" that had to be addressed this year.

It's gonna be a long, hot summer...

• Like 1

#1 seed Virginia loses to #16 seed UMBC in the first round of the tournament.  

1st half 2nd half Total
UMBC Retrievers 21 53 74
Virginia Cavaliers 21 33 54

Virginia wins the tournament.  (Horrible call saves them in the Final Four, but’s that not the point here.)

Auburn has the foundation to win the national championship.  We’ll see who returns and who Auburn picks up, but there is no reason to panic.  

I’m bummed about yesterday like everybody else.  I was thinking this was a Sweet Sixteen team.  Didn’t happen.  But I don’t believe this is the ceiling.  Auburn is a program that has a great chance to make deep runs in the tournament.  

Feel like the puzzle is missing a piece or two — but very close.  But I hear ya’ll, a superstar PG wouldn’t hurt.   😉

• Like 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, aubcali said:

1st half 2nd half Total
UMBC Retrievers 21 53 74

Virginia wins the tournament.  (Horrible call saves them in the Final Four, but’s that not the point here.)

Auburn has the foundation to win the national championship.  We’ll see who returns and who Auburn picks up, but there is no reason to panic.  

I’m bummed about yesterday like everybody else.  I was thinking this was a Sweet Sixteen team.  Didn’t happen.  But I don’t believe this is the ceiling.  Auburn is a program that has a great chance to make deep runs in the tournament.  

Feel like the puzzle is missing a piece or two — but very close.  But I hear ya’ll, a superstar PG wouldn’t hurt.   😉

Honest question, what makes you think Auburn has the foundation to win a national championship next year? Jaylin and Moore are seniors, Broome will probably go pro, more than likely we lose Cardwell and who knows what will end up happening with CBM. KD is a senior but could come back, but he’s….KD. Hopefully Denver and Chaney come back, but a huge chunk of our offensive and defensive production will be gone next year.

Edited by PigskinPat

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

This. Nailed it .Either straighten up or find a 14th school . I’m sick of the bull s*** 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

This. Nailed it .Either straighten up or find a 14th school . I’m sick of the bull s*** 

Yep. And I love Pearl as much as anyone, but you have got to tell your players you expect them to play to a certain standard and the expectations that come with wearing an Auburn jersey.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Pearl can get enuf players at AU to win a Natty. Esp with NIL and the portal. For some reason he is stubborn as a mule and refuses to upgrade the PG position.  This is the 3rd yr in a row that a blind squirrel could see he needs to upgrade the PG and he just refuses to do it. Our PG's had more turnovers than points yesterday. I feel sorry for Aiden, his confidence is gone. Tre needs to be a safety on the football team .It's mind boggling. Cole can breakdown basketball with the best of them. There is a reason he has been screaming from the mountain tops for BP to get a PG.

Well, in fairness to Bruce, we do have the #1 rated PG coming in next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Just my opinion, but being tough can't be faked in basketball or football. And so a person that's really about that is going to be a certain way.... And that is needed. They need to be smart though and unfortunately we didn't get that. But emotions are emotions and we absolutely needed toughness, looked at how we melted when it got tough. 

There aren't too many great players I can think of that haven't gotten into altercations on the court.... We need what he gave us. I would have rather loss anybody minus JB than him. 

I fully believe if we don't lose him we win. Not only win but win by at least 10.

I think think this is true. CBM may be our best player, and the gap between him and his backup is the largest on the team.  Very hard to replace.  It's hard to overstate what a disaster this loss is.  We need CBM back next year healthy and with a good attitude.  That's going to be tough now with everyone blaming him for the loss.  This loss is bound to affect team chemistry and the chemistry between the team and fans. Pearl needs to do one heck of a coaching job in the offseason.  I do think OP nailed it.  Pearl is a player's coach, and I like that about him, but this situation was brewing for a while.  And Murphy's law, when it bit us, it bit us bad.

13 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Mark me down as needing to see it before I believe it with some of these highly rated incoming freshman. Regardless of what we hear and see in AAU game highlights. I've seen too many Westry's, and Traore's, and Hollaway's and not enough Jabari's.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, aubcali said:

1st half 2nd half Total
UMBC Retrievers 21 53 74

Respectfully this is not a great example. I am pretty sure UVA had plenty of returning starters. Auburn doesn’t  and will have plenty of holes to fill

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

What was  Holloway rated? BP needs an older , experienced  guard. We can't rely on  a True Freshman to save the day. We did that with Holloway this year.

Edited by NWALA Tiger

2 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

Honest question, what makes you think Auburn has the foundation to win a national championship next year? Jaylin and Moore are seniors, Broome will probably go pro, more than likely we lose Cardwell and who knows what will end up happening with CBM. KD is a senior but could come back, but he’s….KD. Hopefully Denver and Chaney come back, but a huge chunk of our offensive and defensive production will be gone next year.

I have no clue who is coming back and not coming back to be honest.  I thought we were losing 2 to eligibility.  

I was really talking about the program’s trajectory into an elite program more than just next year.  But all fair points — I’m just more optimistic about bringing in talent even if we don’t know who the talent is right now.