About Chad Baker-Mazara: That's on Coach Pearl

1 hour ago, BizEagle said:

What bothered me was that the officials did not back up the video far enough to see the Yale player's slap to CBMs throat.  That Yale player should have received the same penalty as CBM.  Also there were phantom fouls called on Williams and Moore but the replays showed not even a touch.  It was as if the officials were anticipating AU fouls. 

Another type of foul that isn't getting called enough this year is the shove in the back when a player is high in the air going for a rebound.  KY and TA&M did that to AU over and over to Broome but never called.

I said something about the other guy and you really have AUBURN FANS facepalming that and going on and on about CBM. Anybody make that make sense..... But they don't dislike him or aren't haters or any of that. Just don't think he needs to play for Auburn and will bring up irrelevant things like him transferring to make him a bad guy. Forget the guy pushing him to get an advantage to score a basket.....

• Like 1

Interesting interview with Steven Pearl. He talks about how much Chad cried, etc. and apologized to his teammates. We all made dumb mistakes when we were younger. We need players who can be chippy. Yeah, he shouldn't have done it but let's move on and hopefully he can too and come back to be a huge contributor next season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

Interesting interview with Steven Pearl. He talks about how much Chad cried, etc. and apologized to his teammates. We all made dumb mistakes when we were younger. We need players who can be chippy. Yeah, he shouldn't have done it but let's move on and hopefully he can too and come back to be a huge contributor next season.

Glad to see CBM take responsibility.  I was afraid he was glossing it over.  This gives me renewed hope for him coming back and being a leader next season.  We need him, and he needs to stay in one place for more than a year.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 3/25/2024 at 4:53 PM, CameronCrazy said:

I completely disagree - it’s a flagrant foul, not a flagrant 2. He committed a similar act that the guy did to him on the previous possession that a referee looking right at them did not call. 

Yes, I agree that it was a selfish, stupid play. But to call a guy for a Flagrant 2 when he did not swing at the guy’s head is ridiculous! To eject a player 3 minutes into the first round of the NCAA tournament for elbowing a guy in the chest is ridiculous! 

You can disagree all you want. I don't care. It was stupid, and not at all necessary. 

I did dumb things too when I was young. 

Edited by Eagle-2

8 minutes ago, Eagle-2 said:

You can disagree all you want. I don't care. It was stupid, and not at all necessary. 

That doesn't have anything to do with if it was a flagrant 1 or 2 though. 

• Facepalm 1

Once I'm convinced only us would be at our player and facepalm saying something about the opposing player lol. Unless he played for bammer of course, then we'd be comparing it to shooting a gun or something like that.

A fourth grader could have took that elbow and not reacted. I'm just pissed he let them trick him. I'm sure they had that plan for him and he just fell for the bait.

Edited by cole256
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

That doesn't have anything to do with if it was a flagrant 1 or 2 though. 

Well, my Father taught me a long time ago not to pit yourself into situations where there is any doubt as to your actions. Sometimes i followed that wise advice, and sometimes  i didn't. One thing for certain though, most occasions when i didn't  I had to live with the consequences.  This sort of applies in this situation. Had Chad not done what he did we wouldn't be having a discussion about it, and the official wouldn't have had the opportunity to eject him. 

Make no mistake, I'm not one of the haters on this kid. Quite the contrary, I personally think other than maybe Broome, Chad was the most important piece of this team. I just hope he learns from his mistake. If what I've heard about the young man is accurate I'm sure he will. 

Just now, Eagle-2 said:

Well, my Father taught me a long time ago not to pit yourself into situations where there is any doubt as to your actions. Sometimes i followed that wise advice, and sometimes  i didn't. One thing for certain though, most occasions when i didn't  I had to live with the consequences.  This sort of applies in this situation. Had Chad not done what he did we wouldn't be having a discussion about it, and the official wouldn't have had the opportunity to eject him. 

Make no mistake, I'm not one of the haters on this kid. Quite the contrary, I personally think other than maybe Broome, Chad was the most important piece of this team. I just hope he learns from his mistake. If what I've heard about the young man is accurate I'm sure he will. 

I feel all of that. Maybe he didn't have anybody to tell him that advice, but that's moot, there seems to be two different conversations, and it's not if you are a hater or whatever was made up.

One convo is he shouldn't have done it. Which I would have absolutely gotten him back but I would have waited. 

The other convo is was it a flagrant 2 or not. Everybody so far who says it was has used verbage of words describing rules that aren't actually in the definition of the rule. The words used in the rule is brutal, cruel, punishing.... The word unnecessary which has been used by a few people actual is the descriptor word for a flagrant one. Maybe I'll get barnacle to explain how this works since he's a lawyer. 

Was it stupid? I wouldn't say that but doing it in the wide open was. Was it worth it? Absolutely not. But you can disagree with it and still understand the difference between flagrant 1 and 2. Just because it wasn't a flagrant 2 doesn't mean he shouldn't have been penalized. 

Also mentioning the other guy should have been penalized doesn't mean you have to agree with him throwing a elbow either. I feel that some people are missing that. 

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I feel all of that. Maybe he didn't have anybody to tell him that advice, but that's moot, there seems to be two different conversations, and it's not if you are a hater or whatever was made up.

One convo is he shouldn't have done it. Which I would have absolutely gotten him back but I would have waited. 

The other convo is was it a flagrant 2 or not. Everybody so far who says it was has used verbage of words describing rules that aren't actually in the definition of the rule. The words used in the rule is brutal, cruel, punishing.... The word unnecessary which has been used by a few people actual is the descriptor word for a flagrant one. Maybe I'll get barnacle to explain how this works since he's a lawyer. 

Was it stupid? I wouldn't say that but doing it in the wide open was. Was it worth it? Absolutely not. But you can disagree with it and still understand the difference between flagrant 1 and 2. Just because it wasn't a flagrant 2 doesn't mean he shouldn't have been penalized. 

Also mentioning the other guy should have been penalized doesn't mean you have to agree with him throwing a elbow either. I feel that some people are missing that. 

I haven't actually argued the points of the rule myself other than my personal opinion. I actually agreed with the ejection because I think an elbow to a guy who is doing nothing more than running beside him is equivalent to throwing a punch. That's just how I would see it. If I were Chad, and wanted to get back at a guy for pushing me in the throat I would have waited until I maybe got the ball in my hands, and just ran over his a$$. 

I'm sure no one feels worse about it than Chad, and hope he's learned a valuable lesson, and can just move on from it. 

I hated to see us lose to Yale, but also realized that we had some glaring weaknesses on this team that was going to ultimately result in a trip back home sooner, or later. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 12:21 PM, TigerOne said:

One of my keys to the game, 

play smart and disciplined. 
we didn’t.

Another warning was Pearls crying about the seed and location.

Most teams don’t care and cherish the chance to even be in the thing.

Auburn for some reason thought we deserved some special treatment.

A wasted year and would have been better to not even have made it, cause 

we sure didn’t show up

Once again a big game where the players believed everything written about them. And you were right, we didn't show up.

We all know CBM lost his cool and made a mistake, it happens and he will have to deal with it. Now look what he brought to this team. He played about 21 minutes a game averaged 10 points a game, shot 45% from the field, shot 41% on 3 pointers, 3.7 boards a game, 2.2 assists, 1/2 blocks a game and was a strong defender.  In addition to on court performance he was a team leader as seen when he took over half time meeting and kicked team into a great second half in a game we needed during the regular season.

Like KD he is instant energy when he arrives but unlike KD,  we usually don't have to pray for the good CBM versus the bad CBM.  KD has won us more games then he has lost us but at times when the bad KD is on the court he has really hurt us. Yes, CBM a few times has gotten into issues with other teams players and refs but in all those games when that occurred except Yale he has fired up Auburn and used the issue to up his game and help us.

I hope that he does not think about tranferring because to many fans jump down his throat. Fans who have never played the game don't understand how sometimes in the heat of the moment you do something you wish you hadn't. Some of the greatest basketball players who have played the game have been ejected and all have gotten technical fouls more than once. 

He plays on edge and that is ok but he does need to work on controlling his temper. We can't afford to lose him as he can score in multiple ways, the 3 point shot, driving to the rim and he is one of the few players on our team who can create his own shot. All that plus playing defense, boarding and constant hustle.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eagle-2 said:

I’m not disagreeing about CBM’s actions. It was an incredibly stupid decision that he made. It wasn’t a basketball play. I fault CBM & Bruce Pearl for letting it get to the point where that crap is STILL happening in a game that will determine if your season ends or not.

With all that said, now it’s time to embrace both of them. I fully expect CBM to grow from this and be a much better player and leader next year.

• Like 3

Trash talk is as trash talk does.  Different players approach it differently, as did several of my favorite players:

• Larry Bird chose to trash talk for fun and was good at it because he could back it up, and because he never got vulgar.
  • Dr. J didn't like to talk trash, but could do it well if you got in his face and started it.
  • Tim Duncan refused to talk trash.  I heard opposing players say they tried to trash talk him, but he would just stare blankly in their face as if to say "that doesn't work against me".  Then he would beat them in the game of basketball, and shut them up that way.
  • Nobody dared trash talk Charles Oakley, because he'd just beat you to a pulp and you knew the beating you'd take wasn't worth the benefit of having him thrown out of the game.

1 hour ago, WillMunny said:

Trash talk is as trash talk does.  Different players approach it differently, as did several of my favorite players:

• Larry Bird chose to trash talk for fun and was good at it because he could back it up, and because he never got vulgar.
  • Dr. J didn't like to talk trash, but could do it well if you got in his face and started it.
  • Tim Duncan refused to talk trash.  I heard opposing players say they tried to trash talk him, but he would just stare blankly in their face as if to say "that doesn't work against me".  Then he would beat them in the game of basketball, and shut them up that way.
  • Nobody dared trash talk Charles Oakley, because he'd just beat you to a pulp and you knew the beating you'd take wasn't worth the benefit of having him thrown out of the game.

Larry Bird never got vulgar? Don't know who told you that but I've heard plenty of stories that says otherwise. He was one of the biggest trash talkers. One of the most arrogant players, a dirty player, and like you said one of the best at backing it up.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Larry Bird never got vulgar? Don't know who told you that but I've heard plenty of stories that says otherwise. He was one of the biggest trash talkers. One of the most arrogant players, a dirty player, and like you said one of the best at backing it up.

I based the "didn't get vulgar" comment off of something I heard Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley say on TNT a while back when they were doing a story on Bird.

But I'm sure you're right, as Bird could get very heated and lose his temper.  And he certainly was arrogant.  However, I don't think he sunk to the level of trying to hurt other players, like Bill Laimbeer did.

I loved the 1980s era of the NBA.  Hockey on hardwood at times.

12 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

I based the "didn't get vulgar" comment off of something I heard Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley say on TNT a while back when they were doing a story on Bird.

But I'm sure you're right, as Bird could get very heated and lose his temper.  And he certainly was arrogant.  However, I don't think he sunk to the level of trying to hurt other players, like Bill Laimbeer did.

I loved the 1980s era of the NBA.  Hockey on hardwood at times.

No I don't think too many were like Bill. Bird actually had elite talent. Bird was just an ultimate competitor so it was gonna be testy. That's why I don't understand people being too too down on the kids that are cut from the same cloth. True they need to reign it in but I think it was parcels that said I'd take a guy that I have to say whoa over a guy I have to say go get him every single time

• Like 5