About Chad Baker-Mazara: That's on Coach Pearl

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I remembered you said you played and the reason I ask you is like I said I know you don't like the antics, I was wondering is the thrown out thing was as weird to you as it was to me. I think this is an example of where people may not understand who didn't actually play how out of norm the actual call is.

Where and when did you play?

10 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

You seem to want to thrust everyone in one of two camps — those who think he was screwed with everyone else being a hater. I don’t fit in either camp.

The blow was clearly intended to punish and it’s not hard to see why many would see it as harsh. Factors that contribute to that assessment are intentionality and having zero basketball purpose- a cheap shot far away from any play for the sole purpose of punishing. Now, in his mind the punishment was in retaliation to a blow that also should have been a foul. But that doesn’t change the fact that it should be obvious to any objective person it was pure punishment.

Among others, the expert on officiating during the broadcast said it was a F2.

In his case, we don’t know all the details, but we know this:

“Chad failed to live up to his academic responsibilities and is no longer with the program,” Head Coach Brian Dutcher said 

Beginning last summer when he transferred to SDSU from Duquense, multiple people including his father, Derrek Baker, have been open about Baker-Mazara lacking the maturity to handle all facets of being a student-athlete. A year later these issues cost Baker-Mazara a place on the team. 
https://www.eastvillagetimes.com/chad-baker-mazara-no-longer-an-aztec/#google_vignette

And this:

His teammates consoled him. They also knew that’s just Chad. He’s passionate. He’s fiery. He’s spicy. He’s emotional. He tells the story about his father, Derek Baker, making a game-winning shot in a Dominican Republic pro league and celebrating by mooning the opposing bench.

Baker-Mazara hasn’t mooned anybody — yet — but he’s been as edgy and emotive as advertised, growing up in the DR and coming to the States only three years ago. “We Dominicans,” Baker-Mazara said after arriving at SDSU, “when we do something, we’re really into it. We give a little extra, probably too much sometimes.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Two nights earlier against UNLV, he had a technical foul (for taunting) and flagrant foul (for swinging an elbow) minutes apart in the second half. The game before that, he didn’t play after an undisclosed non-COVID medical situation. In the fall, he was regularly disciplined for missing class or skipping weights.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2022-01-30/san-diego-state-sdsu-aztecs-basketball-chad-baker-mazara-new-mexico-lobos-dominican-republic

And this:

Despite a successful season on the court, freshman forward Chad Baker won’t be returning to play for the Duquesne Dukes.

A source tells Pittsburgh Sports Now that despite his talent, Baker and the Duquesne staff had philosophical issues that made it necessary for him to leave the program.

Duquesne basketball on Pittsburgh Sports Now is sponsored by The Summit Academy: setting young men on the path to a better future.

Setting young men on the path to a better future.

During the second half of the season, Baker developed into one of the Dukes most consistent scoring threats. In 15 games, the 6’7” forward averaged 24.4 minutes, 9.5 points and 2.9 rebounds while shooting 43.8% from the field and 41.7 from 3-point range.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2021/04/20/duquesne-and-freshman-chad-baker-part-ways/?fbclid=IwAR25dW-QftvEV-iktK29N0UjctIDkjPoHxOguDzSph9ydy_tl1TF-SIGUN0#google_vignette

Amazing stats for a freshman, but not enough to overcome the concerns.

I’m not writing him off, but there’s obviously a pattern of immaturity. Folks rarely move from a top 25 team to JUCO absent a compelling reason. No one wonders why he transferred from JUCO to Auburn.

I want the guy to develop into a reliable team player. I’m also not blind to the rollercoaster his career has been due to maturity issues that are still apparent.

I don't want to back and forth. You just don't see what I'm saying. I'm not trying to group anybody into anything. I'm trying to show you all that being tough and not letting things slide doesn't make him bad. Just because he talks doesn't make him bad. Unless we have a list of incidents where he was actually trying to hurt somebody this is merely his fan base turning on him because they dont like the way he act just like a player like Seth Williams.

By the way when you say a guy 4 schools in 4 years blah blah blah then inherently you are saying going from juco to Auburn matters.

And that's my point. Somebody saying that is saying that that particular way to make him seem like a habitual troublemaker but if we individually looked at the reasons why he may have transferred then maybe his transfers doesn't have anything to do with behavioral issues, so that was my point. 

Nobody has yet to question the other guys character btw. Nobody talks about the slimeball hitting then putting on theatrics when he is hit back. The Karen victim acting. 

It's so typical

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't want to back and forth. You just don't see what I'm saying. I'm not trying to group anybody into anything. I'm trying to show you all that being tough and not letting things slide doesn't make him bad. Just because he talks doesn't make him bad. Unless we have a list of incidents where he was actually trying to hurt somebody this is merely his fan base turning on him because they dont like the way he act just like a player like Seth Williams.

By the way when you say a guy 4 schools in 4 years blah blah blah then inherently you are saying going from juco to Auburn matters.

And that's my point. Somebody saying that is saying that that particular way to make him seem like a habitual troublemaker but if we individually looked at the reasons why he may have transferred then maybe his transfers doesn't have anything to do with behavioral issues, so that was my point. 

You ask for evidence, I present it. You dismiss it. You frequently want to present your self as reasonable and objective while others can’t  see through their biases. You want to attribute those who disagree with your take as biased. You are splitting folks into two camps— I’m not saying “he’s bad.” But he clearly needs to grow up and his immaturity is objectively established.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Nobody has yet to question the other guys character btw. Nobody talks about the slimeball hitting then putting on theatrics when he is hit back. The Karen victim acting. 

It's so typical

That dude deserved the shot he got. Wish Chad was better at delivering it in a less obvious way, but that takes impulse control.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

You ask for evidence, I present it. You dismiss it. You frequently want to present your self as reasonable and objective while others can’t  see through their biases. You want to attribute those who disagree with your take as biased. You are splitting folks into two camps— I’m not saying “he’s bad.” But he clearly needs to grow up and his immaturity is objectively established.

I'm not even talking about he's mad I started talking in this thread to try to explain to everyone how crazy it was they called that a flagrant 2. Then several people started talking culture and hurting the team and all of that. Then you quoted me asking me was I saying the fact he was thrown out didn't hurt the team and you've been going ever since. 

If you feel like that's grouping then that's your opinion I guess. There's no changing the fact that if you feel like that warranted being thrown out it has to be he does something you don't like because he hasn't been going around hurting people which someone suggested and by definition it doesn't really play. 

I must have missed any evidence you provided

I also would love to talk about the mismatched messages that are being sent to basketball players. 

Imagine Kobe Bryant getting thrown out of the Olympics when he ran into Pau gasol to start of the game. They literally have done a documentary, and pointed that play out as far as setting the tone for the Olympics. Coach k, LeBron, Wade, j Kidd, EVERYBODY praised it. It's competition and even though Kobe and gasol won a title together a few weeks prior, he showed there's no friendships in between those lines. Pau is literally Kobes kids godfather.

Had he been kicked out this country literally isn't viewed as being the best basketball players. But meanwhile he throws a little elbow in a game he's kicked out and damn near being called a criminal. That's crazy.

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I also would love to talk about the mismatched messages that are being sent to basketball players. 

Imagine Kobe Bryant getting thrown out of the Olympics when he ran into Pau gasol to start of the game. They literally have done a documentary, and pointed that play out as far as setting the tone for the Olympics. Coach k, LeBron, Wade, j Kidd, EVERYBODY praised it. It's competition and even though Kobe and gasol won a title together a few weeks prior, he showed there's no friendships in between those lines. Pau is literally Kobes kids godfather.

Had he been kicked out this country literally isn't viewed as being the best basketball players. But meanwhile he throws a little elbow in a game he's kicked out and damn near being called a criminal. That's crazy.

And targeting in football used to be considered a great hit that set the tone.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

CBM is a highly motivated who wants to do his best and because of that he makes great plays offensively and defensively. That is also the reason he pushes so hard and makes boneheaded plays. 

I wish he hadn't retaliated in the way he did, but I can't change what was done. My hope is he reflects on the impact and adjust his game a little without losing the all out effort he always gives.

For those who are blaming him for the loss we had enough talent to win without him but missed free throws, dumb fouls, and bad decisions with the ball in last 5 minutes is why we lost.

I am sure he is being harder on himself than a select few of our fan base as that is the type of person he is.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

And targeting in football used to be considered a great hit that set the tone.

When? The 80s? That's what an elbow is compared to? 😂

I tell you what people. It really sux to be an Auburn Fan right now.   Our Bball team just screwed the pooch & ruined the rest of our March.

Our Softball Coach is clueless about offense & how to run a Softball Team & needs to be fired immediately!

Our Baseball is 1-5 in the SEC (but I think they will improve vastly in the next few weeks.)

The topic commanding all the attention right now on this forum is CBM & his attitude.

Hopefully April will be a better month for AU Sports & us fans.   We got the A-day game coming up, the transfer portal opening back up, the NFL Draft with hopefully several of our players getting drafted; again I believe our Baseball Team gets it together & goes on a winning streak.

So I guess we suffer for a couple more weeks & see what April has in store.

One very positive thing we can all celebrate:  Christ Arose!!!!!!!

In the meantime, War Eagle!! and keep the faith.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

When? The 80s? That's what an elbow is compared to? 😂

No, genius. The point is rules change, especially around player safety. Pretty sure you and I have played the exact number of minutes in the NCAA under the current flagrant 2 rule. And had Kobe done that during an ncaa game last week he would have likely been ejected. And rightfully so.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I NEVER said the man should be fired. But, unlike you, I'm not happy that glaring needs haven't been met since 2019. Last time I checked this forum was a place to discuss such things. I guess we just bury our head in the sand and never question or criticize

I guess we're just talking past each other. I just keep seeing the same stuff for 3 years of all the bad things BP is doing and , well, if I believed that , I WOULD want him fired and I'd be discussing who we replace him with. But you know I'm done with it, too. I'm gonna go stick my head back in the sand now. 

J/k it's all good.

WDE. 

55 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm not even talking about he's mad I started talking in this thread to try to explain to everyone how crazy it was they called that a flagrant 2. Then several people started talking culture and hurting the team and all of that. Then you quoted me asking me was I saying the fact he was thrown out didn't hurt the team and you've been going ever since. 

If you feel like that's grouping then that's your opinion I guess. There's no changing the fact that if you feel like that warranted being thrown out it has to be he does something you don't like because he hasn't been going around hurting people which someone suggested and by definition it doesn't really play. 

I must have missed any evidence you provided

I think the huge problem is that the leap from a flagrant 1 to a flagrant 2 is so subjective and refs need some harder guidelines. The clip below was deemed a flagrant 1. If that’s a flagrant 1, then CBM at worst should have been charged with a regular foul.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

No, genius. The point is rules change, especially around player safety. Pretty sure you and I have played the exact number of minutes in the NCAA under the current flagrant 2 rule. And had Kobe done that during an ncaa game last week he would have likely been ejected. And rightfully so.

Here you go with the names.... Compared to you I am a genius. Now whos hypersensitive? No it wouldn't be rightfully so. Rules are there for a reason. You are so invested in this and it's hilarious.

What the funniest about this in your mind you really think that makes sense. There's no way in hell Kobe would have been thrown out for that. There's no way in hell anybody get thrown out for that in the NBA. You'll get thrown out for calling a ref a name before that. 

But since you want to insult (again) for the last time just don't talk to me clown. Go demonize this kid for an elbow even you can take

5 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

If it had been to the head it would have been an automatic flagrant 2, since it was to chest it was at the ref's discretion some would have done as a 2 and some as a 1. 

He put himself in that position and I can't disagree with the call.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I guess we're just talking past each other. I just keep seeing the same stuff for 3 years of all the bad things BP is doing and , well, if I believed that , I WOULD want him fired and I'd be discussing who we replace him with. But you know I'm done with it, too. I'm gonna go stick my head back in the sand now. 

J/k it's all good.

WDE. 

2 things can be true at the same time. We can all appreciate BP for elevating the program.  We can also question why we seem to not be able to address our most glaring need for the last 5 years. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.  It's not that hard to do.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

I think the huge problem is that the leap from a flagrant 1 to a flagrant 2 is so subjective and refs need some harder guidelines. The clip below was deemed a flagrant 1. If that’s a flagrant 1, then CBM at worst should have been charged with a regular foul.

Thank you. I feel the same way. It's like I originally said the rules are so subjective what are you supposed to do with that. I know if CBM would have ever imagined you you'd get thrown out for something so nothing he wouldn't have done it. Going from you don't get elected from a game unless you try to hurt somebody to that is a huge jump. 

And if it was so bad then how is it the other guy don't get penalized? People are adding in basketball play and all of that off of their logic and what sounds good. It's not even part of the rule. With the way it's written, this rule is basically if the ref likes you or not. A game shouldn't have such a big potentially game altering decision up in the air.

And it's crazy to me that this fan base is really letting that slide. This forum cries about fouls all the time, but with this people are cool? Thanks crazy to me

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

2 things can be true at the same time. We can all appreciate BP for elevating the program.  We can also question why we seem to not be able to address our most glaring need for the last 5 years. It doesn't have tearo be all or nothing.  It's not that hard to do.

Remember he had one who got bad advice and went pro after one year he would have been with Kessler and Smith. Another looked like a lock then went to G-league.

This year we had to do a rebuild he brought in CBM, Chaney, and Denver who we all good pickups and based on how Aden played in HS and on select teams he looked like a lock who so far has not developed.

Denver has a sweet shot, has gotten better as year went and plays solid D.

So this year he brought in  good SG and what most scouts thought was a great PG. He has pettiford coming in next year.

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Here you go with the names.... Compared to you I am a genius. Now whos hypersensitive? No it wouldn't be rightfully so. Rules are there for a reason. You are so invested in this and it's hilarious.

What the funniest about this in your mind you really think that makes sense. There's no way in hell Kobe would have been thrown out for that. There's no way in hell anybody get thrown out for that in the NBA. You'll get thrown out for calling a ref a name before that. 

But since you want to insult (again) for the last time just don't talk to me clown. Go demonize this kid for an elbow even you can take

An objective person would readily see I was responding to your smart-ass response with a fairly mild one of my own. A hypersensitive person responds like this. 👆🏻

You either don’t read read well, or don’t take the time to read before responding. You totally mischaracterized what I said about Kobe. You mix eras, different leagues, different rules and muddle it altogether in a indecipherable mishmash. If you don’t like the fairly new rule, that’s one argument. But it’s a new rule. Kobe didn’t play under it. Most sports have significantly changed rules for player safety. You may not care about that. Instead of engaging in rational discussion, you make BS assertions I’m demonizing kids. That’s insane. Which is typical of you.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If it had been to the head it would have been an automatic flagrant 2, since it was to chest it was at the ref's discretion some would have done as a 2 and some as a 1. 

He put himself in that position and I can't disagree with the call.

And that’s the point. Sure there’s subjectivity. It’s inherent. Every ref may not make the same call, but it’s not obviously wrong. Chad could have waited and dinged him later in manner that may have gone unnoticed or not flagged as a 2.

Just now, TexasTiger said:

An objective person would readily see I was responding to your smart-ass response with a fairly mild one of my own. A hypersensitive person responds like this. 👆🏻

You either don’t read read well, or don’t take the time to read before responding. You totally mischaracterized what I said about Kobe. You mix eras, different leagues, different rules and muddle it altogether in a indecipherable mishmash. If you don’t like the fairly new rule, that’s one argument. But it’s a new rule. Kobe didn’t play under it. Most sports have significantly changed rules for player safety. You may not care about that. Instead of engaging in rational discussion, you make BS assertions I’m demonizing kids. That’s insane. Which is typical of you.

What year did that happen? Different eras? Please stop talking. So you don't think that called flagrant fouls back then? There isn't a poster on here that contradicts themselves more than you. Then you argue stuff that you said because you can't comprehend it. But all that is fine. This is one thing I do. I don't ever start a conversation with you. I know it will end up stupid. How about you do that too. 

Now moving forward I'm not talking to you. I literally quoted the person I wanted to here from when you started up this argument.... I'm not talking to you or asking you anything. I'm not interested in your thoughts

51 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

2 things can be true at the same time. We can all appreciate BP for elevating the program.  We can also question why we seem to not be able to address our most glaring need for the last 5 years. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.  It's not that hard to do.

I understand that, and we all wish we had better talent at every position. And even on the bench

But when we lose a game it's the same stuff for a couple of years now. And when the season starts, we have what we have. To repeat the same questions gets old, but  I reckon the same arguments I make get old, too. So I think I'll just quit making them and get on with football.

War Eagle.

1 hour ago, PigskinPat said:

It’s easier to get away with more when you’re definitely moving toward the basket to make a play. Looked like an F2 to me, though.

image.png

Everyone please look at my paste above.  I knew this would happen.

This is the same joker that went  "Out of his mind" & scored 29 Points on us.

As soon as our game was over on Friday, I made the comment that #4 would not score more than 12 points the next game.

He scored 9 flippin points yesterday.

That's not Bruce's fault, that's not our defenders' fault, and it's not CBM's fault.

It's just Auburn's dumb luck.

And yes, if CBM would not have gotten thrown out, we may have even blown them out, even with #4 scoring 29.

I was angry with CBM when it happened, just like probably everyone else on this forum.   I'm not mad at him now. I forgive him for his youthful, hot headed mistake & just hope that his mistake & subsequent punishment of getting ejected from the most important game of his life, and knowing that he let his coach, his teammates, and his fans down will be a valuable learning experience in his life and he changes for the better.   I hope he turns to God for patience & strength to do so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2