About Chad Baker-Mazara: That's on Coach Pearl

Just now, JuscAUse! said:

I don't believe there's two teams that made the sweet sixteen in the last 2 of 3 years and I haven't looked. So we don't have the right coach. Who is the right coach? 

Where did he say fire BP? Why jump to that strawman argument? Is it because you don't have a way to defend your line of thinking?

Just now, KansasTiger said:

Where did he say fire BP? Why jump to that strawman argument? Is it because you don't have a way to defend your line of thinking?

So what is your point? I read this stuff every year and you guys are obviously better coaches than what we have. Yes we can critique anybody for anything, but you say it with such certainty that I assume BP is an idiot. Every coach should go to the sweet sixteen and final four and win a championship and kill recruiting every year. You've identified the problem, but then accuse people that ask a simple question of bringing a straw man argument. 

What's the solution? Seems obvious, since you don't like the job that is currently being done. That's all I'm saying. If I had an answer, I'd give it to you. I'm not mad, don't hate anyone, especially AU fans. I just sincerely don't understand the argument. 

20 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I don't believe there's two teams that made the sweet sixteen in the last 2 of 3 years and I haven't looked. So we don't have the right coach. Who is the right coach? 

I believe AU would have if we had guards. Alot of BB folks on here agree. Don't worry, will probably stand pat this off season and hang our hats on a True Freshman PG coming in.

Edited by NWALA Tiger

15 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I haven’t said it. That cats afraid when BP leaves, that the Nevills will make us leave the arena and go back to Beard Eaves

• Haha 3

On 3/23/2024 at 8:50 AM, Mikey said:

I love what Coach Pearl has done for auburn basketball but.....

This was what? The 10th, 12th straight game in which CBM did something really STUPID? He may have been pulled from the game until the next rotation, but the appropriate action was never taken. Without checking, I believe CBM was assessed more technical fouls than the entire rest of the team combined. Weeks ago, he should have been held out of a following game. If a home game, stay in the dorm. If a road game, stay behind in Auburn. That should have gotten a message through. He hurt the seam somewhat on earlier occasions and his actions came to full fruition Friday. His presence on the court would have been worth three more points.

By letting CBM get away with this behavior, Coach Pearl didn't do the player any favors as far as learning limits to his actions and in the long run it cost us a game. Here's hoping both coach and player learned from yesterday's tragedy.

Get. A. Grip. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I have to say it would be nice to make it past the round of 32. BP done it 1 time in 10yrs. 

15 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

So what is your point? I read this stuff every year and you guys are obviously better coaches than what we have. Yes we can critique anybody for anything, but you say it with such certainty that I assume BP is an idiot. Every coach should go to the sweet sixteen and final four and win a championship and kill recruiting every year. You've identified the problem, but then accuse people that ask a simple question of bringing a straw man argument. 

What's the solution? Seems obvious, since you don't like the job that is currently being done. That's all I'm saying. If I had an answer, I'd give it to you. I'm not mad, don't hate anyone, especially AU fans. I just sincerely don't understand the argument. 

I dont feel like defending points you've made up for me that I and many on here have never said.

The argument is a hope that BP and posters here realize he's handcuffed his own teams by ignoring what got him to the final four in the first place. Instead we're met by the likes of you screaming about us not liking BP enough and ignoring our lack of guard play going on half a decade now.

I've had this convo with you specifically like 5 times over the last 3 years. So I'll move on. Obvious neither of us are gonna make a breakthrough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KansasTiger said:

Mr sunshine pumper isn't happy...

I’m way more upset at our fans than I am with the loss to Yale. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I haven’t said it. That cats afraid when BP leaves, that the Nevills will make us leave the arena and go back to Beard Eaves

But you absolutely refuse to name one alternative to him. My point is that you support what you have or you offer solutions. 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I’m way more upset at our fans than I am with the loss to Yale. 

Ah well let me help you with that. This was the coaches fault. With an assist from CBM's selfishness and shortsightedness. 

• Like 2

Just now, KansasTiger said:

Ah well let me help you with that. This was the coaches fault. With an assist from CBM's selfishness and shortsightedness. 

It’s no one fault man 😂😂. It’s a single elimination tournament based on complete randomness where fluky things happen. THIS. Is.  march. It’s going to get you if you go to the tourney enough times. Every blue blood and legendary coach resumes are littered with upsets in the tourney that are completely unexplainable. Guess what? If we keep going to the tourney it’s going to happen again. Just the nature of the beast. We were 11-0 in the round of 64 before Friday. The law of averages was eventually going to get us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It’s no one fault man 😂😂. It’s a single elimination tournament based on complete randomness where fluky things happen. THIS. Is.  march. It’s going to get you if you go to the tourney enough times. Every blue blood and legendary coach resumes are littered with upsets in the tourney that are completely unexplainable. Guess what? If we keep going to the tourney it’s going to happen again. Just the nature of the beast. We were 11-0 in the round of 64 before Friday. The law of averages was eventually going to get us.

Ok bud 👍

2 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Ok bud 👍

Dude. You responded to me first. I didn’t even know you were still around tbh. Don’t dwell on the negative man. 27-8 with a sec title is a heck of a season. Appreciate the absolutely dominant team we had winning 26 of 27 games by double digits. This was the most fun regular season I’ve ever had with a Bruce team!  1 choke job when we were up 10 with 6 minutes left isn’t going to ruin it. Cheer up man! We keep going to the ncaa tourney And eventually good things will happen again in it. Have a fantastic week! 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

24 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

But you absolutely refuse to name one alternative to him. My point is that you support what you have or you offer solutions. 

I NEVER said the man should be fired. But, unlike you, I'm not happy that glaring needs haven't been met since 2019. Last time I checked this forum was a place to discuss such things. I guess we just bury our head in the sand and never question or criticize

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Dude. You responded to me first. I didn’t even know you were still around tbh. Don’t dwell on the negative man. 27-8 with a sec title is a heck of a season. Appreciate the absolutely dominant team we had winning 26 of 27 games by double digits. This was the most fun regular season I’ve ever had with a Bruce team!  1 choke job when we were up 10 with 6 minutes left isn’t going to ruin it. Cheer up man! We keep going to the ncaa tourney And eventually good things will happen again in it. Have a fantastic week! 

I wasn't pressing it with you. I'm fine, man. I was saying ok. 

lots of shrinks in this thread...............grins

• Haha 1

We lost we shouldn't have. CBM made a mistake. It wasn't smart, but who has walked in his shoes? He's in the heat of the battle, super amped up, testosterone going crazy and he has a reaction. Just because he's talked, pushed, people in earlier games means nothing. You don't hear what's said to him, you don't feel what he feel. You don't know. 

Somebody pointed out jabari and how he carried himself and it just so happened he was just suspended by the league for fighting. Stuff happens. If he did it again I'd be more upset but unfortunately it happened.

We still should have won though. If he feels bad about anything it should be he got outsmarted. Literally most of the lessons of becoming a man is learning to control your emotions. Everybody has had to have those lessons. Some people shakes hands and help opponents up, others don't and will knock opponents down. It is what it is

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

bama struggling right now. it is a very close game.

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We lost we shouldn't have. CBM made a mistake. It wasn't smart, but who has walked in his shoes? He's in the heat of the battle, super amped up, testosterone going crazy and he has a reaction. Just because he's talked, pushed, people in earlier games means nothing. You don't hear what's said to him, you don't feel what he feel. You don't know. 

Somebody pointed out jabari and how he carried himself and it just so happened he was just suspended by the league for fighting. Stuff happens. If he did it again I'd be more upset but unfortunately it happened.

We still should have won though. If he feels bad about anything it should be he got outsmarted. Literally most of the lessons of becoming a man is learning to control your emotions. Everybody has had to have those lessons. Some people shakes hands and help opponents up, others don't and will knock opponents down. It is what it is

I agree with most of what you said. I only disagree with his prior history not meaning anything. I dont know what's said to him, but because of the frequency of his issues, I'm taking a logical leap in reasoning that he's not always the victim. And that matters, because it changes how you view what he did, from a victim of a heat of the moment situation to a habitual instigator who seeks out this kind of situation and then escalates it. 

Now the argument about whether it's a good thing to have someone like that on your team or not is a different topic. I think we disagree there, too, but I understand where you're coming from for that argument. Even in that case, CBM has to learn to control his actions even MORE if he sees his role as an instigator. I just see that as uneeded distractions. You can inspire and rally the team without risking so many technicals and flagrants.

18 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I agree with most of what you said. I only disagree with his prior history not meaning anything. I dont know what's said to him, but because of the frequency of his issues, I'm taking a logical leap in reasoning that he's not always the victim. And that matters, because it changes how you view what he did, from a victim of a heat of the moment situation to a habitual instigator who seeks out this kind of situation and then escalates it. 

Now the argument about whether it's a good thing to have someone like that on your team or not is a different topic. I think we disagree there, too, but I understand where you're coming from for that argument. Even in that case, CBM has to learn to control his actions even MORE if he sees his role as an instigator. I just see that as uneeded distractions. You can inspire and rally the team without risking so many technicals and flagrants.

I know exactly where we disagree, we disagree with you saying he plays a role as an instigator. That's not what He's doing. And that's fact. When I say a player like him I'm saying a guy who doesn't back down. 

The other part where we disagree and this is opinion, he just don't play the game the way you like. You may have saw a tech when he played arky and didn't like how he was completely unapologetic he was and you are carrying and now since it's actually has cost us you are going on about it. Had it cost us nothing you still wouldn't like it and you would wait for it to affect us one day. 

That's why I keep pointing out he's played a bunch of games and it hasn't hurt us before. This is no different how this fan base couldn't stand Seth Williams even though he was one of the best wr we have ever had. This is just a very conservative school who majority of the fan base doesn't even watch basketball like that and they want to basically see that awww shucks basketball where guys are still shooting underhand at peach baskets 

Still want that slow motion b ball, where you have to make 9 passes before a shot. Don't like when a guy yells after a dunk. Probably don't like the dunk in the first place.... That ball is dead. There are going to be motions and gestures..... The key is when you are big time you are discreet about it. 

You notice how nobody is mad at the Yale player? Did the same stuff, he is actually the guy that instigated it. His purpose was to make that happen. Nobody was calling for him to get kicked out. Nobody was saying his stuff was like throwing a punch. 

There's no way any basketball player would ever imagine they would get kicked out for that. 

The fact that our fan base is turning on him is actually pitiful.

• Like 3

On 3/23/2024 at 3:46 PM, NWALA Tiger said:

What was  Holloway rated? BP needs an older , experienced  guard. We can't rely on  a True Freshman to save the day. We did that with Holloway this year.

Sounds like you think we should get a transfer PG instead of Pettiford..well, that's not a good plan. 

2 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Sounds like you think we should get a transfer PG instead of Pettiford..well, that's not a good plan. 

He needs pettiford AND another guy. It seems like we think you can't have more than one or two guys that can handle the rock.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

You think a good plan us to rely on another True Freshman PG? Why not get one in the portal and see if Pettiford can beat him out? Sometimes  I wonder if some u cats on here even watch the games...

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I know exactly where we disagree, we disagree with you saying he plays a role as an instigator. That's not what He's doing. And that's fact. When I say a player like him I'm saying a guy who doesn't back down. 

The other part where we disagree and this is opinion, he just don't play the game the way you like. You may have saw a tech when he played arky and didn't like how he was completely unapologetic he was and you are carrying and now since it's actually has cost us you are going on about it. Had it cost us nothing you still wouldn't like it and you would wait for it to affect us one day. 

That's why I keep pointing out he's played a bunch of games and it hasn't hurt us before. This is no different how this fan base couldn't stand Seth Williams even though he was one of the best wr we have ever had. This is just a very conservative school who majority of the fan base doesn't even watch basketball like that and they want to basically see that awww shucks basketball where guys are still shooting underhand at peach baskets 

Still want that slow motion b ball, where you have to make 9 passes before a shot. Don't like when a guy yells after a dunk. Probably don't like the dunk in the first place.... That ball is dead. There are going to be motions and gestures..... The key is when you are big time you are discreet about it. 

You notice how nobody is mad at the Yale player? Did the same stuff, he is actually the guy that instigated it. His purpose was to make that happen. Nobody was calling for him to get kicked out. Nobody was saying his stuff was like throwing a punch. 

There's no way any basketball player would ever imagine they would get kicked out for that. 

The fact that our fan base is turning on him is actually pitiful.

I think you're mischaracterizng my view of Basketball. Its a bit unfair to say my view of CBM necessitates a desire for old fashioned emotionless slow basketball. Thats not true at all.

What I dont like are actions like CBM hooking a player to fall on top of him as he shoots a three to get a foul, which if i recall, he got a tech for. That's not emotion, that's calculated dirty basketball. I was pretty vocal about his style of play way early on in the season, not simply when it cost us. But now that it has cost us, you want to tell me I would just wait till it did to justify how I feel. The other way of looking at it was I was right in the concern that I voiced.

There's no way to prove his pov one way or another definitively, and ultimately our discussion will have no affect on his standing with the team. But I appreciate the conversation.