About Chad Baker-Mazara: That's on Coach Pearl

oh i forgot! i agree with mikey it is on pearl. cbn should have been less obvious if and or when he retaliates. come to think of it we do get a lot of technicals........

4 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Signing two 5* PG in successive seasons isn’t trying to upgrade? 

Don't confuse effort (trying) with results. And absolutely not to answer your question.  We shouldn't be relying on True Freshman to lead us at the PG position.  Wouldn't u like to have Mark Sears in orange and blue right now?  BP seems to be able to identify talent from the portal in Big Men (Broome), wings ( Chaney, CBM). Why can't he do that at the PG position?

Edited by NWALA Tiger

23 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i think the refs kinda effected us. i think at one time we had seven or eight fouls on us and none on yale. i am not making excuses because i believe we should have won as we had the better team. i saw a lot of frustration with our guys and they seemed to talk to the refs more friday than they ever have. i agree with cole that you have to play tough. cbn was sent a message and he felt it had to be returned. i also do not think it was enough to get ejected  i did not say anything yesterday because my emotions were peaking a bit. but after some sleep and i new day i still agree with my older thoughts. but i admit i know little of the game and i get buzzed for the games normally. i love pearl and i bet this got his attention the only thing i disagree with him on is he says the sec is the toughest it has ever been this year but the sec got its butt handed to us on way too many games to be that good. am i right?

I dont like using the refs as a crutch because they have been bad all year. There are a few games that I can think of that they were insanely worse. When given the opportunity Auburn simple didn’t execute. The missed free throws and consecutive turnovers were really bothersome. U would have thought Auburn hadn’t played in a few weeks. By letter of the law it was a flagrant 2 . However the ref could have used discretion in that matter. Past history probably played a part in the matter. 
To you last point it looks like the SEC was overvalued. Ole Miss started off hot but severely collapse throughout the SEC. South Carolina severely overachieved. Kentucky never really played to their potential. Alabama is live and die by the three. Auburn in theory exceeded expectations based on the preseason SEC rankings . Tamu has always been a gritty team so it’s 50/50 for team. The only team progressing as projected is Tennessee.

Sorry for long post

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

Alot of people are glossing past how valuable what CBM does for us in his instigator role. If the ref calls it a flagrant 1 like it should have been nobody is piling on the kid. It was a perfect storm that killed us. 

'Like it should have been' my ass. It was intentional, it was dirty, and he deserved a flagrant 2. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

So you think a key starter being ejected less than 4 minutes into a tournament game didn’t hurt the team (not to mention the two free throws made)?

I literally specifically said talking about culture. I also pointed out he's won a bunch more than he loss. And how many games has he been kicked out of 

Many people and even some of the announcers didn't feel like that should have even been a flagrant 2. 

But I'm not going to pretend that all he does is get kicked out of games. And you are actually making my point as far as you are even saying his hurting the team is actually his presence being missed. 

But to make it short no that's not what I said, and I think you know that but if that what's you interpreted then ok I guess?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

'Like it should have been' my ass. It was intentional, it was dirty, and he deserved a flagrant 2. 

Do you know the criteria that separated a flagrant 1 and 2?

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Do you know the criteria that separated a flagrant 1 and 2?

He wound up and elbowed the dude in the chest. Almost the equivalent of throwing a punch. I'd call that dangerous or harsh.

These are flagrant 2s

A simple elbow to the chest happens all the time. Could CBM have been smoother with it and done something more incognito while he was on an island right in front of the ref? Without a doubt. The wind up also hurt his case. But these plays above are worth ejections. An elbow to the chest is an easy flagrant 1 and keep it moving. 

He should have not done that AND the ref blew the call. Both things can be right but the ref is the adult in the room and overreacted BASED ON LITERALLY EVERY OTHER BASKETBALL GAME PLAYED IN HISTORY

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

These are flagrant 2s

A simple elbow to the chest happens all the time. Could CBM have been smoother with it and done something more incognito while he was on an island right in front of the ref? Without a doubt. The wind up also hurt his case. But these plays above are worth ejections. An elbow to the chest is an easy flagrant 1 and keep it moving. 

He should have not done that AND the ref blew the call. Both things can be right but the ref is the adult in the room and overreacted BASED ON LITERALLY EVERY OTHER BASKETBALL GAME PLAYED IN HISTORY

I disagree. And with CBM's history, if I was that ref, I'm making the same call. CBM played a stupid instigator game and won a stupid prize.

37 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I literally specifically said talking about culture. I also pointed out he's won a bunch more than he loss. And how many games has he been kicked out of 

Many people and even some of the announcers didn't feel like that should have even been a flagrant 2. 

But I'm not going to pretend that all he does is get kicked out of games. And you are actually making my point as far as you are even saying his hurting the team is actually his presence being missed. 

But to make it short no that's not what I said, and I think you know that but if that what's you interpreted then ok I guess?

Not what you said at all. Read it again. You threw in “or culture,” but were much broader than that. I simply asked for clarification. No need to be hypersensitive.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Not what you said at all. Read it again. You threw in “or culture,” but were much broader than that. I simply asked for clarification. No need to be hypersensitive.

Nothing sensitive about it, wouldn't mind if I had or, and, but, not I don't think anybody would read that and say he's saying CBM not playing didn't hurt the team.... And I also said if you actually did read it like that then ok. It's the exact opposite of hypersensitive. But once again ok, you are entitled to any thoughts you may have

38 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

He wound up and elbowed the dude in the chest. Almost the equivalent of throwing a punch. I'd call that dangerous or harsh.

I'm saying do you know the exact rules or is this a bit of you not liking that style personally. You see much of this is subjective, it's as simple as guys who don't like talking as opposed to guys who do. And I actually think it's cultural as well. 

But besides that I notice it usually a difference in opinion with age gaps. Which I think the older crowd is a bit hypocritical because they are also the same people who will go on and on about being soft. 

Imo the only thing you should be thrown out for is if you swing at somebody face, or you undercut a person. That's it. Elbows are thrown all the time, pushing happens all the time, talking happens all the time. It's literally part of the game. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

The ejection was warranted. There was nothing pertaining to being part of the game that he did. If he had caught the guy with an elbow on a rebound, or in the paint is one thing. No excuse for throwing an elbow at a guy who is simply running down the court next to you. It was selfish, and stupid. If the uniforms were reversed everyone on here would be agreeing with the call. 

• Like 3

The ejection was warranted.  Maybe some refs would have overlooked the 2 and ruled it a 1 based upon the magnitude of the moment, but CBM committed a stupid, intentional foul that had nothing to do with basketball.  He put himself in the position of giving the ref a judgement to make.

I don't mind him trash talking.  A lot of players do that.

But I like CBM and hope he comes back next year.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Don't confuse effort (trying) with results. And absolutely not to answer your question.  We shouldn't be relying on True Freshman to lead us at the PG position.  Wouldn't u like to have Mark Sears in orange and blue right now?  BP seems to be able to identify talent from the portal in Big Men (Broome), wings ( Chaney, CBM). Why can't he do that at the PG position?

How the Hades are we gonna have Spears or anyone else as our guard in the Dance? He isn't on the team. Wasn't he a three star? Heck , half of you would have had a stroke if we hadn't gone after the guys we tried to get and signed him. Cole is the exception to my rant. He saw him personally. And has been consistent. 

But so you really think this was the only missed evaluation in college basketball history? 

For the record, I NOW would love to have Spears on our team. I bet the coaches wouldn't turn him down either. 

But this record is broken. He hasn't been with us ever. IFs haven't mattered for squat in my lifetime. 

47 minutes ago, Eagle-2 said:

The ejection was warranted. There was nothing pertaining to being part of the game that he did. If he had caught the guy with an elbow on a rebound, or in the paint is one thing. No excuse for throwing an elbow at a guy who is simply running down the court next to you. It was selfish, and stupid. If the uniforms were reversed everyone on here would be agreeing with the call. 

It was a negative distraction for the staff and fellow players during a sudden death game that was selfish on his part.  But like someone already mentioned, it appeared our guys just didn’t want it enough, almost like they won a relatively meaningless conference championship and turned out the lights on the rest of the season.  Just a shame all the way around.  

8 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

How the Hades are we gonna have Spears or anyone else as our guard in the Dance? He isn't on the team. Wasn't he a three star? Heck , half of you would have had a stroke if we hadn't gone after the guys we tried to get and signed him. Cole is the exception to my rant. He saw him personally. And has been consistent. 

But so you really think this was the only missed evaluation in college basketball history? 

For the record, I NOW would love to have Spears on our team. I bet the coaches wouldn't turn him down either. 

But this record is broken. He hasn't been with us ever. IFs haven't mattered for squat in my lifetime. 

Thats just one player we could have had. BP relied on Wendell, Zep, a football player and a True Freshman to run the show at PG.  He has missed evaluations at PG the Last 3 years not just w Sears but with who he signed. We had 2 first round NBA picks 2 years ago and couldn't get past Miami cause they ate our guards up. What did BP do to correct it... He ran it back the next year with Wendell and Zep. It's not that hard to understand.  BP can evaluate bigs and wings in the portal.. Why can't he so the same at PG?

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I'm saying do you know the exact rules or is this a bit of you not liking that style personally. You see much of this is subjective, it's as simple as guys who don't like talking as opposed to guys who do. And I actually think it's cultural as well. 

But besides that I notice it usually a difference in opinion with age gaps. Which I think the older crowd is a bit hypocritical because they are also the same people who will go on and on about being soft. 

Imo the only thing you should be thrown out for is if you swing at somebody face, or you undercut a person. That's it. Elbows are thrown all the time, pushing happens all the time, talking happens all the time. It's literally part of the game. 

No sir. I'm 67. The understanding gap is between folks that played basketball and folks that didn't. Otherwise I agree with you totally. The Pistons of old weren't the Pistons without Lambeir. (Lambere?). Rodman played the part with the Bulls. CBM screwed up because it was obvious. But you HAVE to respond if you want to  level the competition . And there are ways to do it. Cole knows this. Everyone that played competitive basketball knows this. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Thats just one player we could have had. BP relied on Wendell, Zep, a football player and a True Freshman to run the show at PG.  He has missed evaluations at PG the Last 3 years not just w Sears but with who he signed. We had 2 first round NBA picks 2 years ago and couldn't get past Miami cause they ate our guards up. What did BP do to correct it... He ran it back the next year with Wendell and Zep. It's not that hard to understand.  BP can evaluate bigs and wings in the portal.. Why can't he so the same at PG?

How do you know this? Do you know who we offered that didn't commit? 50% of pro QBS never pan out. They spend millions on evaluating QBs in the NFL. Sometimes you miss. Sometimes the guys you want don't come to your school. One more time. Nobody wants our team to win more than me. If you fire every coach we have and hire someone that gives us multiple championships, or even one, I'm good with it. If you have an answer, you're wasting your life in your current job. 

4 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

No sir. I'm 67. The understanding gap is between folks that played basketball and folks that didn't. Otherwise I agree with you totally. The Pistons of old weren't the Pistons without Lambeir. (Lambere?). Rodman played the part with the Bulls. CBM screwed up because it was obvious. But you HAVE to respond if you want to play level the field. And there are ways to do it. Cole knows this. Everyone that played competitive basketball knows this. 

Wish they taught this stuff at “enforcer” school. A wind up elbow in front of the refs, right after looking back at the player to make sure he’s in swinging range…that’s amateur 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Wish they taught this stuff at “enforcer” school. A wind up elbow in front of the refs, right after looking back at the player to make sure he’s in swinging range…that’s amateur 

100% That being said, wasn't it caught because of a foul at the other end? I seem to remember that, but I've watched a lot of ball recently. If I am right, he would have gotten away with it. At least for the first half. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

No sir. I'm 67. The understanding gap is between folks that played basketball and folks that didn't. Otherwise I agree with you totally. The Pistons of old weren't the Pistons without Lambeir. (Lambere?). Rodman played the part with the Bulls. CBM screwed up because it was obvious. But you HAVE to respond if you want to play level the field. And there are ways to do it. Cole knows this. Everyone that played competitive basketball knows this. 

Laimbeer, I think.  Cool spelling, tough player.  Dirty player.

10 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

How do you know this? Do you know who we offered that didn't commit? 50% of pro QBS never pan out. They spend millions on evaluating QBs in the NFL. Sometimes you miss. Sometimes the guys you want don't come to your school. One more time. Nobody wants our team to win more than me. If you fire every coach we have and hire someone that gives us multiple championships, or even one, I'm good with it. If you have an answer, you're wasting your life in your current job. 

. The frustration is, he hasn't addressed the glaring problem. Whether he offered guys and they didnt come or he didnt offer. Both are the fault of BP. Either way the problem hasn't been addressed.  We should at minimum have 2 sweet 16s in the last 3 yrs. But we can even make it past round of 32. 

15 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

BP didn't just miss. He saw that WG and Zep didn't work out in real time on the court and made the decision to stick with them another year despite their failings. Thata not missing on an unknown quantity any longer. That's just a flat out mistake.

Then still didn't get a real PG to help for this year either. Which was a concern of many, as was discussed in the BBall forum before the season and brought up by insiders as a weakness.

@NWALA Tiger has a very good point.

• Like 1

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

. The frustration is, he hasn't addressed the glaring problem. Whether he offered guys and they didnt come or he didnt offer. Both are the fault of BP. Either way the problem hasn't been addressed.  We should at minimum have 2 sweet 16s in the last 3 yrs. But we can even make it past round of 32. 

I don't believe there's two teams that made the sweet sixteen in the last 2 of 3 years and I haven't looked. So we don't have the right coach. Who is the right coach?