Clemson transfer PF RJ Godfrey

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/article/rj-godfrey-is-expected-to-be-in-auburn-next-week-231040691/

please put at least a portion of the article and not just a link.

Looking for more help on the interior heading into the 2024-25 season, coach Bruce Pearl and the Auburn Tigers will get a key visitor on campus next week when Clemson transfer RJ Godfrey comes to the Plains for an official visit on April 30. The son of former Georgia and NFL linebacker Randall Godfrey, the 6-8, 228-pounder has played in 69 games in two seasons at Clemson. Playing just over 15 minutes per game last season for the Tigers, Godfrey averaged 6.1 points and 3.4 rebounds per game while shooting 59.4 percent from the floor and 62.7 percent from the free throw line. He connected on 3-7 shots from behind the arc last year.

Auburn is looking to replace the departed Jaylin Williams at the power forward position and Godfrey could be a big piece of that along with the return of Chaney Johnson. The Tigers also return All-SEC big man Johni Broome as well as fellow center Dylan Cardwell.

A 3-star prospect coming out of North Gwinnett High in Suwanee, Georgia, Godfrey was the No. 132 player overall in the 247Sports Composite in the 2022 class. He originally chose Clemson over Georgia, Georgia Tech, Ole Miss, Texas Tech and Utah. 

Since going into the portal, Godfrey has visited Oklahoma and Virginia Tech. He's also received interest from schools like Arizona, Butler, LSU, Mississippi State and TCU. 

Analysis from 247Sports on Godfrey coming out of high school:

Has a top notch physique at 6-7. Powerful athlete. Son of a former NFL linebacker. Controls horizontal space. Quick off the floor vertically. Wants to attack the basket and finish but is also adept at creating scoring opportunities for his teammates. Is a keep the defense honest three-point shooter with somewhat of a mechanical release. Partly because of his physical strength, handles the ball with composure and sees the court. Has a feel for the developing pass and can accurately deliver it. Defensively can guard all five positions. Is a highly capable rebound. Doesn't overwhelm in any one particular area of the game, but is solid across the board, plays with intelligence and composure, and has imposing powerful athleticism.

• Like 3

What day is he supposed to visit.

Tomorrow until Thursday. He is from my hometown. Saw him play against Sharife  in the state playoffs. This kid is a polished warrior. Brother plays lb for Kentucky. Dad was an NFL Lb.  Very good kid from a great family. He would be a perfect fit for us. CJ Uzomah went to his HS. He is an Auburn type kid. Works hard and not a look at me type.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TIGERINATLANTA said:

Tomorrow until Thursday. He is from my hometown. Saw him play against Sharife  in the state playoffs. This kid is a polished warrior. Brother plays lb for Kentucky. Dad was an NFL Lb.  Very good kid from a great family. He would be a perfect fit for us. CJ Uzomah went to his HS. He is an Auburn type kid. Works hard and not a look at me type.

Does he have 2 years of eligibility?

3 hours ago, TIGERINATLANTA said:

Then I want this one. 

He has played 2 years at Clemson.  Not sure when the Covid extra year of eligibility thing applies to 2022 entrants. He has at least 2 and maybe a 3rd depending  on the covid rule.

From the chatter, he seems like a good get. Is CBP hot on his trail?

5 hours ago, TIGERINATLANTA said:

He has played 2 years at Clemson.  Not sure when the Covid extra year of eligibility thing applies to 2022 entrants. He has at least 2 and maybe a 3rd depending  on the covid rule.

It’s my understanding that the covid rule is only for players that were in college during the covid year.   It’s a free year so to speak, no matter what year you happen to be in.  

Big athletic guy here. Looks like a rush end. Reminds me of one of the guys on the final four team who shot the 3 well in the tourney . Can’t remember his name. Was singing pregame a lot 

Just now, JDUBB4AU said:

Big athletic guy here. Looks like a rush end. Reminds me of one of the guys on the final four team who shot the 3 well in the tourney . Can’t remember his name. Was singing pregame a lot 

One of my favorite AU players of all time, Malik Dunbar.  Dude could jump out of the gym.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Twitter says he's not visiting.

This is a very disappointing turn of events, sounds like our Beat Writers were completely clueless on this one.

Just this morning it was being pumped about the arrivals of both.

I read last week we reached out to 

Norchad Omier

We have to have another PF, and do not want to hear any nonsense about playing Moore and Broome there as backups.

That should be emergencies only.

Another one we are interested in his Elijah Saunders San Diego State transfer.

Edited by TIGERINATLANTA
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, TIGERINATLANTA said:

Time to move this thread.. Sadly he committed to Thuga.

His dad played there and has a more direct time to starter minutes there.

• Like 1

I liked some of his play, but I don’t think he would have been an overall good fit with the style of how Bruce plays. He is still a project player and I think Auburn needs someone more developed. Ideally, a stretch 4, someone like a JT Thor. Now, is there someone out there that Auburn could realistically get to sit on the bench with that type of skill set? Probably not. However, there are probably some guys at the lower level mid majors who have a similar type of game who would play here to prove themselves. I wasn’t ever surprised that Godfrey didn’t pick Auburn, considering his Dad played at UGA and he was looking for starter minutes.