South Carolina

auburnu008

Did you guys watch that game? Amazing what Spurior has done with those kids. Phil looked like he was about to have a stroke in the final minute of the game. I guess he was thinking about where he is going to store everything from his office. I was pulling for South Carolina. I am glad Tennessee lost again. Why in the world did people have them in the top 3 to start the season?

Tennessee's implosion this year may match uat's from 2000.

Both started off #3, then crashed. We don't know how far the Vols will sink.

The best part is, UT made the uater's think they've done some real stuff this year. No question 8-0 is good, but the season isn't over yet.

What? I will have you know that the UT team that USC beat was a "signature" win for uat. Just like uat's win over the USC team we beat by 40 points was a signature win. Do I need to send out memos about this type stuff? :lol::lol::lol:

I always thought Spurrier was going to surprise one of the Big 3 in the East (UGA, UT or UF) this year. I just didn't expect it to be UT in Knoxville. The guy is a heck of a coach & when he starts recruiting the personnel to fit his system ... watch out. I mean, just look what he's done with Blake Mitchell -- the SEC's pass completion leader this year. Who'd a thunk it?

Spurrier and :usc: are getting better very quickly. He will recruit very well this year.

Poor Fulmer, he must think he is in Hell this year.

Their last 3 games are at Arkansas (JP Game), Florida (imagine what it would be like if it were at UF), and Clemson (rivalry game).

If they can beat Arkansas they get win #6 for the year. That's probably their best chance.

Something has changed in Knoxville over the year offensively, guess Sanders. But they always had a break out go to wide-out that caught everything (which they don't have), quarterback play was always solid (which it isn't now), and their line was always good rebuilding or not (and it hasnt been this year).

I caught a little bit of it at dinner last night, talk about a long day... went to the Ole Miss game, left late into it and caught a flight to Dallas, jumped off the plane went to dinner and then to U2...... who was awesome btw.

USC still isn't a very good team this year, if they would have had blake mitchell we might have only beat them 38-17. However i'm starting to change my stance on them never making the sec title game. I think it might happen as soon as next year, just look at the east next year. I'm loving every minute of this tennessee collapse, i only wish we played them this year so we could whip em again.

so we're officially writing tennessee off for next year as well? i think that'd be a mistake. and georgia hasn't had a season of less than 9 wins under richt have they? and florida shouldn't be worse next year than they are this year. i'm not saying south carolina can't win the east... i just wouldn't put my money on it.

at least their winning makes our 41 point win look better and better.

Spurrier just guaranteed Fulmer a new job next year. :)

You can tell that Spurrier is having an effect on SC. Give them a few years, and they will be a force to be reckoned with. You can tell that Spurrier is not trying to make SC into a Florida either. He looks and acts different on the sidelines. Not that he is not as passionate, but he is calm and collected, and totally in control of what is going on. The only breakdowns occur when the talent of the players is just not able to do what he wants them to do.

But that will change with time.

Did you guys watch that game? Amazing what Spurior has done with those kids. Phil looked like he was about to have a stroke in the final minute of the game. I guess he was thinking about where he is going to store everything from his office. I was pulling for South Carolina. I am glad Tennessee lost again. Why in the world did people have them in the top 3 to start the season?

193547[/snapback]

I was watching the game with my brother and his wife (UT fan). When Spurrier and fulmer went to shake hands at the end...I said I bet Spurrier just looked at Phil and said ,"I still got you by the whohaws! No matter where I am coaching." Blake Mitchell's play is evident of Spurrier's coaching ability. He was from a high school program that utilized an option based offense. This kid can throw it!!

They said last night that Spurrier said it will take 2 years to get the athletes he wants....I say yea right.. more like next year and he will have some quality athletes, but within two years he will be in good shape. Next year they will be very competitive, but not enough to win the SEC East.

I still don't know that UT will can phat phil, now phat phil may can Sanders, since the O seems to be their biggest problem.

There is a big assumption here that Spurrier can get the recruits he wants. SC isn't a hotbed for football talent like Florida and it's not likely many of the good Floriday boys are going to want to go to SC to play football. There may be a few that grew up wanting to play for Spurrier, but he's been gone from the SEC a while and those kids would have been young when he left. He's an awesome coach, but I'd look for him to leave there in 3-4 years, before he can really get a lot of good recruits.

There is a big assumption here that Spurrier can get the recruits he wants.  SC isn't a hotbed for football talent like Florida and it's not likely many of the good Floriday boys are going to want to go to SC to play football.  There may be a few that grew up wanting to play for Spurrier, but he's been gone from the SEC a while and those kids would have been young when he left.  He's an awesome coach, but I'd look for him to leave there in 3-4 years, before he can really get a lot of good recruits.

193726[/snapback]

You'd be real surprised about the level of talent in SC. It's actually pretty high. The problem is that UGA, UT, Auburn, FSU and other big schools come in here and take the great players away. What's left splits between Clemson and SC. Every once in a while, somebody decides to stay home. I have the feeling Steve might be able to see more of that in the future.

Don't forget how geography is in Spurrier's favor over there at SC. He was very smart to take that job at a school which wanted to build a football program, in a state where there is limited competition for kids.

Take :lsu: for example. The reason they are a powerhouse....there is no other comparable program in that state. If you look at all of the other states in the SEC, there are, in some cases, MANY other comparable programs to contend with. It's true with Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee (maybe?), Georgia...Just look at Florida. However, in South Carolina, the only one that I would consider even competing with SC for recruits would be Clemson.

And honestly, Spurrier on his name alone, will win a lot of those battles for kids. Don't underestimate him on this one.

Archived