Nutt Challenges S. Car. With RS Fr. QB

LegalEagle

CHN is taking the redshirt off of QB Dick and plans to start him against SC this weekend.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/foo...nsas-dick_x.htm

This QB has been on the scout team.

Question. Freshman can play a certain number of games and still redshirt, is it because it is in the middle of the season that Dick loses his redshirt?

How does that work?

i think he can still redshirt is he only plays in 25% of Arky's plays, which if he plays from here on out its gone. Maybe someone knows more about this.

if he plays one down, he loses his redshirt. From the NCAA website:

The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year. If you do not compete in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. For example, if you are a qualifier, and you attend a four-year college your freshman year, and you practice but do not compete against outside competition, you would still have the next four years to play four seasons of competition.

Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

The "medical redshirt" (which isn't an NCAA term, but a media term) says if you play in 2 games or less than 20% of your teams games (whichever is greater), you can apply for a hardship waiver (or a medical redshirt). The article for the hardship waiver is here.

if he plays one down, he loses his redshirt.  From the NCAA website:

The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year. If you do not compete in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. For example, if you are a qualifier, and you attend a four-year college your freshman year, and you practice but do not compete against outside competition, you would still have the next four years to play four seasons of competition.

Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

The "medical redshirt" (which isn't an NCAA term, but a media term) says if you play in 2 games or less than 20% of your teams games (whichever is greater), you can apply for a hardship waiver (or a medical redshirt).  The article for the hardship waiver is here.

194374[/snapback]

There are some more specific rules that apply to football that allow a player to retain his redshirt status even if he plays in a game early in the season. I know this happened with Ronnie Brown for instance. He played in a few of the early games of the 2000 season backing up Rudi Johnson. I specifically saw him play against Wyoming in the opener. But he didn't play much after that and 2000 was a redshirt year for him. He went on to have four more years of full eligibility in 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004.

In fact, here are his stats for the year 2000:

http://auburntigers.collegesports.com/spor...1/plyr0003.html

He rushed 6 times for 10 yds against Wyoming in the opener and dressed out for the LSU game, but didn't play. He didn't dress out the rest of the year. He did not lose his redshirt over that. However, my understanding is that after the 3rd or 4th game of the year, you can't play even a down and still retain your redshirt.

Regardless of the rules, let's assume for the sake of discussion that this will blow a year of eligibility for the kid:

Is it a wise move? Even assuming he's superman and the Hog's win the rest of their games, should he be used? Is it worth a whole year of eligibliity to salvage what's left of this season, or should this season be scrapped in favor of having him for four full seasons?

Then there is the side issue of Houston Nutt saving his job. From his viewpoint, it may be worth sacrificing a year of the player's eligibility if it keeps him from getting fired.

Of course, if anyone can guarantee that this kid will beat LSU so I can enjoy watching the Corndogs whip Bama without worryng about our SECCG chances, then I say suit him up! :big:

In my very humble opinion, A coach should do whatever, within the rules, he can each and every week to win. :au:

Archived