David Housel Press Box

Jenny AU-92

Yeah, I know he was SID for a long time before becoming AD, but after JetGate, and with him being asked to retire, does anyone but me think this should be the JIM FYFFE PRESS BOX????????????????????????? :angry:

Yeah, I know he was SID for a long time before becoming AD, but after JetGate, and with him being asked to retire, does anyone but me think this should be the JIM FYFFE PRESS BOX?????????????????????????  :angry:

194872[/snapback]

I agree!

I'll also be in the concourse at the "Bama game at halftime when the field is named for Pat Dye.

Character is more importan to this old grad!

The whole idea of this makes me want to :puke: I said several years ago that Housel couldn't be trusted, and he proved it. I don't care how long he was at Auburn, what he did was unethetical, unprofessional, and just plain stupid. He should have known better. Naming anything after that man is just rediculous. Seems the Administration has completely forgotten about Jim Fyffe. He was an auburn man through and through, and this press box should be his...NO ONE ELSES!!!!

Totally agree. The pressbox where TOUCHDOWN AUBURN!!!! rang out for so many years should be forever named for the voice of the Tigers.

Housel made a huge mistake that will forever taint his image and his legacy, but he was an Auburn man and should be recognized somehow, just not in this way. It's ridiculous to not name the press box after Fyffe.

I totally agree! DH left with a mark on his record and will always be remembered for that fateful flight to Louisville. Jim Fyffe was there through thick and thin! Wonder if it can be changed? We should mount a big write in campaign or protest of some kind! Jim Fyffe needs to be remembered somehow. :roflol:

Sure is a lot of bad mouthing of a guy who probably did more for Auburn athletics than any other person in modern history.

Maybe it's just bitterness at the AD you're stuck with now.

I support naming the press box for David Housel. David has been an Auburn man since he was a kid growing up in Gordo, and has given virtually his whole life to the university. He is known and respected on a national basis. I think he admits he made a mistake when the group flew to Louisville. I think there are a couple of mitigating factors in that, however. His boss, the university president, was on the plane also, and one can infer that Housel had little choice but to follow or resign. The second factor is that many, many Auburn fans were calling for Tuberville's job at that time. After the wins over bama and Penn St., a lot of these folk developed amnesia.

By naming the press box after Housel, the implication is that he is being honored more for his work as SID; but maybe I'm misreading that. What else could be named?

While I have affection and respect for the late Jim Fyffe, his responsibilities were not on a par with Housel's.

Sure is a lot of bad mouthing of a guy who probably did more for Auburn athletics than any other person in modern history.

194922[/snapback]

Strey, I know it is difficult for a uater to understand, well, anything. But, and listen close.....AU's AD is ten times better than the ignorant dinosaur that is propped up as AD at the smaller school in the western part of the state.

Got it?

:lol::lol::lol:

I support naming the press box for David Housel.  David has been an Auburn man since he was a kid growing up in Gordo, and has given virtually his whole life to the university.  He is known and respected on a national basis.  I think he admits he made a mistake when the group flew to Louisville.  I think there are a couple of mitigating factors in that, however.  His boss, the university president, was on the plane also, and one can infer that Housel had little choice but to follow or resign.  The second factor is that many, many Auburn fans were calling for Tuberville's job at that time.  After the wins over bama and Penn St., a lot of these folk developed amnesia.

By naming the press box after Housel, the implication is that he is being honored more for his work as SID; but maybe I'm misreading that.  What else could be named?

While I have affection and respect for the late Jim Fyffe, his responsibilities were not on a par with Housel's.

194937[/snapback]

Exactly. Housel actually started as a volunteer on the Athletic Media Relations Dept when he attended AU. He never left as far as I know. If it weren't for him there would be no Jim Fyffe. Housel was about as Auburn through and through as you could be, and a very nice guy to boot. He always treated Kim very well when she worked in media relations. He even took time off towards to end of his time to entertain one of my friends at the Auburner to shoot the ---- for a bit.

It's a little rough to judge such a long tenure by one action in the waning moments.

I'm not realy bothered by it, but then I'm not really up on the politics of David Housel. I think the one thing that might have prevented the university from naming the press box after Jim Fyffe is that Fyffe wasn't actually a university employee.

194922[/snapback]

Strey, I know it is difficult for a uater to understand, well, anything. But, and listen close.....AU's AD is ten times better than the ignorant dinosaur that is propped up as AD at the smaller school in the western part of the state.

Got it?

:lol::lol::lol:

194942[/snapback]

I actually have a theory on the dinosaur.... He is actually Frank Broyles and just pulls double duty. When heat gets too hot one place (this year Arkansas) he spends more time at the other (UAT). Don't remember seeing ol Frankie while I was up in Arkanasas this year......hmmmmmm.

I think he admits he made a mistake when the group flew to Louisville.  I think there are a couple of mitigating factors in that, however.  His boss, the university president, was on the plane also, and one can infer that Housel had little choice but to follow or resign.

194937[/snapback]

You think? I really would like to know, did he?

"Well, I must've said 'yes' a million times to my superiors at AU, and I always benefitted from it. But near the end, as an Auburn man, I should have said 'no.' I didn't, I regret not doing so, and I apologize to Auburn, the University, the athletes, the fans, Coach Tubberville and the entire Auburn family."

Now, if he said that, I would have much less problem with naming the press box or whatever after him. No one needs question his love for Auburn, I certainly don't.

Think about it.

Pat Dye Field, mmmm, isn't that the coach that quit right as his team was being put on probation for cheating?

David Housel Press Box, mmmm, isn't that the guy that sneaked around with the Gang of ________ (insert number here based on your best information) and secretly tried to depose the coach with another coach that abandoned Auburn a year earlier?

I'm not convinced we are sending positive signals about Auburn.

I support naming the press box for David Housel.  David has been an Auburn man since he was a kid growing up in Gordo, and has given virtually his whole life to the university.  He is known and respected on a national basis.  I think he admits he made a mistake when the group flew to Louisville.  I think there are a couple of mitigating factors in that, however.  His boss, the university president, was on the plane also, and one can infer that Housel had little choice but to follow or resign.  The second factor is that many, many Auburn fans were calling for Tuberville's job at that time.  After the wins over bama and Penn St., a lot of these folk developed amnesia.

By naming the press box after Housel, the implication is that he is being honored more for his work as SID; but maybe I'm misreading that.  What else could be named?

194937[/snapback]

Exactly. Housel actually started as a volunteer on the Athletic Media Relations Dept when he attended AU. He never left as far as I know. If it weren't for him there would be no Jim Fyffe. Housel was about as Auburn through and through as you could be, and a very nice guy to boot. He always treated Kim very well when she worked in media relations. He even took time off towards to end of his time to entertain one of my friends at the Auburner to shoot the ---- for a bit.

It's a little rough to judge such a long tenure by one action in the waning moments.

194943[/snapback]

That is the only reason that the name will be David Housel instead of Jim Fyffe. As much as I want to hate seeing him remembered on a positive note, he did do many wonderful things for Auburn for a very long time. The Auburn Network needs to step up now and name the radio broadcast booth after Fyffe to remember his legacy.

It seems they are going overboard naming everything that can possibility be named. Why would a press box need a name? But after the controversy dies down no one will talk or think about it.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to name one of the cafeteria's after David Housel?

We will have:

Pat Dye Field

David Housel Press Box

How about Hal Baird field at Plainsman Park?

And don't forget Cliff Ellis court at Beard Eaves Coliseum?

The tennis courts need a name as so the soccer fields, indoor & outdoor tracks & softball fields.

It seems they are going overboard naming everything that can possibility be named.  Why would a press box need a name?  But after the controversy dies down no one will talk or think about it.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to name one of the cafeteria's after David Housel?

We will have:

Pat Dye Field

David Housel Press Box

How about Hal Baird field at Plainsman Park?

And don't forget Cliff Ellis court at Beard Eaves Coliseum?

The tennis courts need a name as so the soccer fields, indoor & outdoor tracks & softball fields.

194990[/snapback]

Shouldn't we name the swimming pool and field house for the swim coach based on his success? ;)

194937[/snapback]

Great post!

I agree with you. However, I do feel like there has been nothing said or done for Jim Fyffe. I have mixed feelings about what was done(naming of the pressbox) and when it was done. I am happy for Housel, but I feel in some wierd way that the press box will always be Fyffes home!

David Housel deserves to have the pressbox named after him. Jim Fyffe was the voice of the Auburn Tigers and does deserve some type special recognition from AU. but DH complete adult life has been associated with AU and trying to do what he thought was best for AU (including his retirement). I believe he and Pat Dye were so instrumental in changing the balance of power from west Alabama, that most of us never will know.

As a side note to earlier post, Pat Dye did not quit his team. He was asked to resign or be fired. Dye wanted to stay and fight the charges against the NCAA, but when Lowder did not give him the support as needed, he stepped down at the end of the year. The news came out the morning of the last game of the season (UA). There does not need to be an inference that Dye left like Tater Tot.

Germans Bomb Pearl Harbor!

Sorry, couldn't resist, Jenny!

How is your Toonces these days?  When will you be in Auburn for a game?

194875[/snapback]

Smarty Pants. Like MY opinion is not important enough to warrant it's very own thread? Please... :rolleyes:

:roflol:

Seriously, I never saw that thread - that was posted the weekend of the big golf tournament I was a part of, and I did nothing BUT golf for that entire week. So yeah, guess I missed it. I was wondering why Timmy or someone else on this board hadn't brought it up since the dedication was last weekend.

I am getting a bit annoyed at the rash of "naming things" that's going on around there - what happens to any and all future great contributors that may come through Auburn University?

And whether or not Jim Fyffe was an Auburn University employee makes NO difference to me. He WAS the public voice of Auburn University for a long time, and was recognized as such nationally. Nuff said.

The Toonces is fine, as is the little tiger. He is a bit bummed this week because after I caught him having a hard time reading the words in the hymnal Sunday, I STRONGLY encouraged him to go to the eye doctor. Surprisingly, he complied, and ha! Glasses. :) PROGRESSIVE lenses. ;)

We won't be at any more games this year unless we decide to go see LSU in the Cotton Bowl B) or go see Auburn in the SECCG and the Sugar Bowl. :big: But we WILL be at JHS next year for the AU-LSU game, just like every year since we met.

Tigermike wrote, "How about Hal Baird field at Plainsman Park?"

The baseball facility is already thoroughly named as Samford Stadium - Hitchcock Field at Plainsman Park.

Tigermike wrote, "How about Hal Baird field at Plainsman Park?"

The baseball facility is already thoroughly named as Samford Stadium - Hitchcock Field at Plainsman Park.

195023[/snapback]

You are absolutely correct OlderWhiskey, in my attempt to "over name", I inadvertently included the one piece of real estate that already had enough names.

As saniflush pointed out I had left out the swimming facility and David Marsh. Coach Marsh BTW would be most deserving of something being named after him. His teams have after all won multiple consecutive National Championships.

If we do that it'll be similar to Plainsman Park... Marsh Pool at the Martin Aquatics Center.. so many names just sounds cheesy to me.

Oh and if you wanted to throw Baird into the baseball mix... it could be the Hal Baird Concession Stand at Samford Stadium Hitchcock Field Plainsman Park.

David Housel + Jetgate= having pressbox named after him

Pat Dye + NCAA sanctions= naming the field at JH after him

CTT + overcoming backstabbing ADs by going 13-0 with a clean program = getting slapped in the face the next year by having things named after guys who have did "irreputable" things during their :au: career.

Housel and Dye did some good things for :au: , but they also did some things that gave it a black eye.

194937[/snapback]

Okay, I guess you are right. I was a little over zealous in my response. I just wish there was something we could honor Jim Fyffe with! I guess most people just remember the last, most glaring part of DH's long tenure. I did enjoy reading his articles in the Game Program's each week.

194943[/snapback]

Archived