David Housel Press Box

Jenny AU-92

I support naming the press box for David Housel.  David has been an Auburn man since he was a kid growing up in Gordo, and has given virtually his whole life to the university.  He is known and respected on a national basis.  I think he admits he made a mistake when the group flew to Louisville.  I think there are a couple of mitigating factors in that, however.  His boss, the university president, was on the plane also, and one can infer that Housel had little choice but to follow or resign.  The second factor is that many, many Auburn fans were calling for Tuberville's job at that time.  After the wins over bama and Penn St., a lot of these folk developed amnesia.

By naming the press box after Housel, the implication is that he is being honored more for his work as SID; but maybe I'm misreading that.  What else could be named?

While I have affection and respect for the late Jim Fyffe, his responsibilities were not on a par with Housel's.

194937[/snapback]

Okay, I guess you are right. I was a little over zealous in my response. I just wish there was something we could honor Jim Fyffe with! I guess most people just remember the last, most glaring part of DH's long tenure. I did enjoy reading his articles in the Game Program's each week.

Exactly. Housel actually started as a volunteer on the Athletic Media Relations Dept when he attended AU. He never left as far as I know. If it weren't for him there would be no Jim Fyffe. Housel was about as Auburn through and through as you could be, and a very nice guy to boot. He always treated Kim very well when she worked in media relations. He even took time off towards to end of his time to entertain one of my friends at the Auburner to shoot the ---- for a bit.

It's a little rough to judge such a long tenure by one action in the waning moments.

194943[/snapback]

195115[/snapback]

You enjoyed my fiance's articles too, didn't you? :angry: Right...? RIGHT?!??!?!

:big:;)

I support naming the press box for David Housel.  David has been an Auburn man since he was a kid growing up in Gordo, and has given virtually his whole life to the university.  He is known and respected on a national basis.  I think he admits he made a mistake when the group flew to Louisville.  I think there are a couple of mitigating factors in that, however.  His boss, the university president, was on the plane also, and one can infer that Housel had little choice but to follow or resign.  The second factor is that many, many Auburn fans were calling for Tuberville's job at that time.  After the wins over bama and Penn St., a lot of these folk developed amnesia.

By naming the press box after Housel, the implication is that he is being honored more for his work as SID; but maybe I'm misreading that.  What else could be named?

While I have affection and respect for the late Jim Fyffe, his responsibilities were not on a par with Housel's.

194937[/snapback]

I agree. Housel was, on the whole, a damn good athletic director that made an error in judgment at the end of his career. Even then, though, he believed he was acting in AU's best interest at the time. Nonetheless, it was the wrong thing to do, but that doesn't diminish an entire life dedicated to AU Athletics. Ronald Reagan traded arms to Iranian terrorists for hostages. That required a string of bad judgments. But his entire career gets viewed as a whole, and on the whole, most Americans consider his Presidency a success-- and we've named a ton of things after him.

Housel is a good Auburn man. Period. Some may love AU as much-- no one loves her more.

Besides-- it's a press box. Not a stadium, not an athletic complex. Before he was an athletic director, he was one of most respected Sports Information Directors in the business and the best in AU history. I think this honor is very fitting. :thumbsup:

Archived