Tuberville, just what the doctor ordered...

StatTiger

Especially in terms of the Georgia series, he has already brought us a lifetime of memories and healed a few wounds along the way. This has been such a wonderful series with the some of the best games I have ever witnessed but last night took the cake.

In 1986, an underdog Bulldog team led by an unknown QB rolled into Auburn and derailed our opportunity of winning the SEC with a shocking upset. In 1999, Coach Tuberville took an under 500 team up to Athens with a resurrected QB, who proceeded to have the game of his life. Ben Leard and Ronney Daniels crushed the Dogs in the first half alone.

In 1992, Auburn went toe to toe with one of the best Georgia teams in school history, only to watch the clock expire at the Bulldog 1 yard line, losing 14-10. In 2000, we were able to celebrate a 29-26 victory as the clock ran out on Mark Richt's first Auburn game. It was the greatest feeling to watch mark Richt wanting to call a time out he didn't have as the clock ran out with Georgia near our goal line.

In 2003, Georgia smashed Auburn, 26-7 in Athens on their way to a 13 win season and a SEC Championship. Auburn returned the favor the following year, crushing UGA, 24-7 while in route to a 13-0 season and a SEC Championship.

Now we have 31-30. I will never call it by any other name other than "31-30". Our young men fought hard and could have folded but they kept coming back when the time was needed. It was the best Auburn-Georgia game I have ever witnessed. It finally heals the wounds of losing the 1996 game in triple overtime.

Tuberville and Auburn are now 5-2 against the Bulldogs during one of their most successful runs in school history. Thanks to our coaches and players for all the great memories...

War Eagle! :au::football::cheer::cheer::cheer:

Great post, Stat. Don't forget '02, w/ Greene-to-Gibson on 4th down to end the game. Talk about a heartbreaker... but it was one for the ages.

WDCTT. I think that last night was our best indication so far that our coaching staff is right there w/ the elite coaching staffs in this country.

This game with Georgia, and this series too, reminds me of that Seinfeld episode when he keeps coming out 'even Stephens', Jerry loses a $20 bill, then finds one in his jacket pocket. I had this feeling everytime Georgia got a break, that we would get it right back; the most obvious one being the fumble return for a TD after we fumbled inside the 10...

Especially in terms of the Georgia series, he has already brought us a lifetime of memories and healed a few wounds along the way. This has been such a wonderful series with the some of the best games I have ever witnessed but last night took the cake.

In 1986, an underdog Bulldog team led by an unknown QB rolled into Auburn and derailed our opportunity of winning the SEC with a shocking upset. In 1999, Coach Tuberville took an under 500 team up to Athens with a resurrected QB, who proceeded to have the game of his life. Ben Leard and Ronney Daniels crushed the Dogs in the first half alone.

In 1992, Auburn went toe to toe with one of the best Georgia teams in school history, only to watch the clock expire at the Bulldog 1 yard line, losing 14-10. In 2000, we were able to celebrate a 29-26 victory as the clock ran out on Mark Richt's first Auburn game. It was the greatest feeling to watch mark Richt wanting to call a time out he didn't have as the clock ran out with Georgia near our goal line.

In 2003, Georgia smashed Auburn, 26-7 in Athens on their way to a 13 win season and a SEC Championship. Auburn returned the favor the following year, crushing UGA, 24-7  while in route to a 13-0 season and a SEC Championship.

Now we have 31-30. I will never call it by any other name other than "31-30". Our young men fought hard and could have folded but they kept coming back when the time was needed. It was the best Auburn-Georgia game I have ever witnessed. It finally heals the wounds of losing the 1996 game in triple overtime.

Tuberville and Auburn are now 5-2 against the Bulldogs during one of their most successful runs in school history. Thanks to our coaches and players for all the great memories...

War Eagle! 

197839[/snapback]

Couldn't have said it better! War Eagle! :cheer::au::football:

an off-topic question (only barely):

what year was it during the dye era that auburn lost as they had the ball on the 1-yard line or so, no time outs, and had failed to punch it in on a run... when dye said that the officials should've stopped the clock to measure for a 1st down??

anyone remember that?

an off-topic question (only barely):

what year was it during the dye era that auburn lost as they had the ball on the 1-yard line or so, no time outs, and had failed to punch it in on a run... when dye said that the officials should've stopped the clock to measure for a 1st down??

anyone remember that?

197951[/snapback]

pretty sure it was 92. the game was in auburn. i remember listening to that game on the radio. i also remember being sick for a week.

but hey, WAR DAMN 31-30!

:uga: Hey Stat, great post and I couldn't have said it better myself. ( By the way I look forward to your posts as they are supremely informative and thought out wityh reason) I was at the game and sat in the UGA faculty/staff athletic board area with a few :au: fans sprinkled in. There were a pretty reserved bunch and I tried to be respectful but with a game like that how could not scream and holler a little bit. Anywho, what made me proud with this team(and I believe it is carryover from growth and lessons learned last year) is that they kept responding, kept coming back. Despite a their own problems in the game, somewhat porous secondary, crashing Georgia D on our passing downs, a defensive rush that got in on Shockley but he was just out reach or would somehow get away, and a stadium that was going bananas for the home team with an electric atmosphere I haven't seen in Sanford Stadium in a while. So our guys responded from the within the belly of the beast and sucked it up and won. They never quit. Man, what a great game and win. Props to :uga: . War Damn Eagle and lets go get Bama and the rest of the Phylis's!!

Tuberville and Auburn are now 5-2 against the Bulldogs

197839[/snapback]

Hey Stat, at the risk of hijacking this thread, do you know what Tubs record is against our SEC brethren.

I've been surfing for a while I can't find it anywhere.

Great post on the AU-UGA series. Just a couple of corrections and clarifications and additions.

It was 1992 during both school's centennial celebration years that Auburn had time run out at the 1 yard line when the officials wouldn't spot the ball. I still say #1 WR (can't recall his name) scored two plays before. UGA 14 AU 10

2000 was in Auburn and AU's first win in J-H since '90 over the dawgs. It was Donnan's last AU-UGA game, not Richt's first and AU won 29-26 in OT on Ben Leard's sneak after Rudi had run down to inside the 1.

2001 was Richt's first game - in Athens - when the clock ran out at the AU 1 or 2 and Auburn won 24-17

2004 it was 24-6, let's not give puppies a point they didn't earn :D

Let us not forget 1996 when we blew a 28-7 lead and the officials STOPPED the clock after UGA QB Mike Bobo was sacked and fumbled and recovered...refs claimed it was a pass and stopped the clock with :02. A hail mary later and we were headed to the first OT game in the SEC. UGA won 56-49 and the gor-for-2 rule was created based greatly on this game.

I'll always have fond memories of my first trip to Athens, a 20-3 win in 1989.

As for '05...I bet it was a great game to watch if you didn't care who won...

As for AU's record vs. the SEC:

Auburn has the best SEC record in the last six years with a mark of 35-12 (.745) in conference games since 2000.

Archived