In Honor of Naming Pat Dye Field...

DKW 86

Mine: Dye took over a totally awful team in 1981. Myself, I was a Bama fan that had just gotten a scholarship to AU. I went to see the new coach. We lost to Wake Forest... :(

But then we played better and better. We went to Lincoln, Nebraska that year...

I was expecting a total blowout. We had three qbs!!! Used each in a different scenario. We were pathetic. THEN....I was out washing the car and turned on the radio. I was stunned. We were behind, but the score was like only 10-6. It finished that way too. We were inside the NU 5 and ran out of TIME, not downs. We needed four so we had to score a TD. But we were there.

I decided right then after listening to that bunch of ragamuffins that I would pull for the team if they could play like champions when they had zero talent. They were outmanned, but not out played. Bruised but not broken.

I do not believe in moral victoies. I think you play to win. But there was a glimmer, a spark that showed that day. I have been a Tiger ever since.

Are we planning anything special this Saturday in honor of the naming of the field.This would be a great time since he is responsible for us not having to go to Brimingham on Sat.

DKW, I think you are recalling the :ut: game from 1981. That is the game we lost 10-7 when we failed to score from inside the 5 at the end of the game. The problem was, we had used a TO earlier because the coaches hadn't gotten a sub in on time. We've all seen the video of the locker room after that game: "If you continue to play like you did today . . . you will build a tradition we can be proud of at Auburn". (or words to that effect.)

We did indeed play Nebraska in 1981, and lost 17-3, after leading 3-0 at the half.

One of my favorites occurred October 13, 1984 in Tallahassee. This was the game eventually won by :au: , 42-41. Still one of the best football games I've ever seen. Anyway, FSU scored a TD in the first half on a reverse. A clip was clearly thrown on the play, but not called. It was obvious, the victim knocked down. In the 3d quarter, Auburn QB Pat Washington scrambled in for a TD. The play was called back for a clip. Video revealed that an Auburn player had gently nudged an FSU player with his elbow. Dye went ballistic. We wound up getting not only the 15 yard penalty for clipping , but TWO more unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on Dye. We were penalized 45 yards on that one play, and wound up punting.

I've got a lot of Coach Dye memories, including visiting him at his farm. But the first thing that came to my mind was when he said before an Alabama-Georgia game a few years ago that the Georgia players weren't men enough to beat bama.

The rest is a part of history bama would like to forget. Coach Pat snookered 'em :big:

I'll always remember when we lost the sugar bowl to fsu in large part due to a no call on a mugging of our receiver (Lawyer Tillman????) by deion sanders as he was about to catch a td pass. The game ended quickly after that play and as dye was coming on the field a reporter shoved a mic in his face and asked about the call. I wanted dye to blast the refs, but he didn't. He just said how no one call determined the outcome of a game and that was that. I was reminded of a thing or two about class at that moment and have always respected Dye for his composure in that situation.

Standing in an endzone full of Bammites in 1986 at Legion Field and watching Dye frantically calling for a timeout as Lawyer made his move then seeing Dye with his hat nearly off fist pumping and jumping for joy.

His locker room speeches after games were the high point of most Auburn Football Rewiews IMHO. :au:

The game where he tells the guys " Sure I'd like to be 10 and O or 11 and 0 but men I wouldn't trade this team for any I've had here at Auburn..I've watched you work and I watched you rassle with them angels and I...and I watched you become men. I watched you become men.

When I need chillbumps I pull out the Decade of the 80's tape. When I need a cry I'll listen to that speech.

Guest Tigrinum Major
I'll always remember when we lost the sugar bowl to fsu in large part due to a no call on a mugging of our receiver (Lawyer Tillman????) by deion sanders as he was about to catch a td pass. The game ended quickly after that play and as dye was coming on the field a reorter shoved a mic in his face and asked about the call. I wanted dye to blast the refs, but he didn't. He just said how no one call determined the outcome of a game and that was that. I was reminded of a thing or two about class at that moment and have always respected Dye for his composure in that situation.

198380[/snapback]

I think that was Ron Middleton. Or maybe Middleton was the one that gave Neon Deion the ride into the end zone earlier.

It was Lawyer Tillman that got MUGGED by neon deon. We drove the length of the field and made a couple of 4th down conversions on that drive. Terrible no call on LT.

My Favorite Dye memory is of a Fan Day back in the mid 80's. Our Daughters were little girls and we always had their pictures made sitting in Coach Dye's lap. He always took the time to talk to them and us. He made you feel like he cared about AUBURN and about everyone that cared about Auburn. He was and is human, he has his flaws as do we all. He is now and forever an AUBURN MAN with a capital "M". Thank you Coach Dye for righting the ship and "putting a foundation" in the Auburn Football Program. It was in good hands then and it is in good hands NOW. :au:

WAR EAGLE & death to all that is dark pink. :cheer::cheer::cheer:

My memory was his initial press conference after getting the job. Remember, we had lost 8 games in a row to UAT at that time. One of the first questions was "How long will it take to beat Alabama". Without hesitation he said "60 minutes".

Ya gotta love that.

War Eagle

Tillman around. The "Tie". The first time. Reading "In the Arena". Shaking his hand and thinking he had a baseball glove on or something. He's got a big mit. WDE

DKW, I think you are recalling the  :ut:   game from 1981.  That is the game we lost 10-7 when we failed to score from inside the 5 at the end of the game.  The problem was, we had used a TO earlier because the coaches hadn't gotten a sub in on time.  We've all seen the video of the locker room after that game:  "If you continue to play like you did today . . . you will build a tradition we can be proud of at Auburn".  (or words to that effect.)

We did indeed play Nebraska in 1981, and lost 17-3, after leading 3-0 at the half.

198355[/snapback]

Thank you, You got a link on the 81 season?

after kicking the field goal to tie undefeated syracuse and ruin their shot at the national title in the 1988 sugar dye told his team "dont let them bother you, if they wanted to win the game, they should have blocked the damn field goal"

My Fondess memory of Pat Dye was during the Alabama Auburn Pep rally in 89. I lived at the Wesley Foundation and we did a float for the peprally/ parade...well in the mean time I also had a personalized licenseplate that Read "DYEBAMA"...I took it off my car and wrapped it around a sign and holding it up during the parade around campus...several tv camera wanted me to stop and put the tag on camera....as the parade finished at the baseball field there was a stage set up for the coachs and players to come and appear.....I was lucky enough to be close enough to the stage when Pat Dye Quenton Riggins and several others came on stage....Quenton Riggins saw my plate and motioned me to come closer to the stage and let him see it....He actually put my tag around his neck then handed it to Pat Dye and He actually wore it for a minit and signed it....I had to ask for it back after all it was my legal Car Tag....I got it back.....signed and still have it hanging on my wall. The best day and weekend of my life at Auburn University ( besides flying Kites on the top Of Haley Center)...

WDE :cheer::cheer: BEAT BAMA

"It was Lawyer Tillman that got MUGGED by neon deon. We drove the length of the field and made a couple of 4th down conversions on that drive. Terrible no call on LT."

Quote from War Tim.

Actually, I thought it was Freddie Weygand. I may be wrong, don't think I have that game on tape, as I attended it. I do agree it was a terrible no-call. Then again, I had Breakfast at Brennan's that morning, beginning with three Bloody Marys. I do know we got behind 13-0 but fought back.

Never have like Deion Sanders since.

DKW, I think you are recalling the  :ut:   game from 1981.  That is the game we lost 10-7 when we failed to score from inside the 5 at the end of the game.  The problem was, we had used a TO earlier because the coaches hadn't gotten a sub in on time.  We've all seen the video of the locker room after that game:  "If you continue to play like you did today . . . you will build a tradition we can be proud of at Auburn".  (or words to that effect.)

198355[/snapback]

198395[/snapback]

Try this: http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/school...tory_072805.pdf

DKW, if that link doesn't work for some reason, follow this progression: AuburnTigers.com>Football>Media Guide>History (p. 133-183). that should bring up a page showing the first half dozen or so Auburn football seasons. Click "Complete records", then scroll down to 1981.

I attended that 1981 game in Knoxville, so I remember the score and circumstances well. We had played our a**es off, but still trailed 10-7. Coaches sent in Ken Hobby at QB, and he led us down the field from our 20 to inside the 5, like you said. Time ran out before we could "finish winning".

No doubt about it in my mind:

Beating Bama and the Bear in 1982 after a 10-year drought in the Iron Bowl. Each school has had its ups & downs since then, but on that day I finally felt like the "Era of the Bear" was ending and we'd be competing as equals from then on.

The next year, 1983, Dye got robbed of a MNC.

My first Auburn game to attend was also Coach Dye's first as a coach. The thing I remember most was the Georgia game that year. UGA was supposed to mop up the field with us, but Auburn was ahead until mid way through the fourth quarter. Herschel broke a long run and UGA ended up winning 19-14, but after the game many of the players and coaches ended up coming back out on the field after they heard the crowd chanting War Damn Eagle so loud. That was when I knew it was great to be an Auburn Tiger. CPFD not only brought back the fans, he also restored the glory of Auburn Football.

I also have a humorous story. It was before the AU v Ole Miss game in 1999, and we were walking from the Tiger Walk back toward the coliseum. I wasn't watching too closely and stepped in the street while a white pickup was rapidly turning around from the parking lot beside the coliseum. As I was nest to the driver's side, Pat Dye rolled down his window and said "it's hell when you can't park at your own stadium". We all got a good laugh about that...

198355[/snapback]

198395[/snapback]

Try this: http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/school...tory_072805.pdf

198414[/snapback]

THANKS again...I have all kinds of sites for stats with the column but that one really helps out.

The game where he tells the guys " Sure I'd like to be 10 and O or 11 and 0 but men I wouldn't trade this team for any I've had here at Auburn..I've watched you work and I watched you rassle with them angels and I...and I watched you become men. I watched you become men.

198383[/snapback]

:cry3::thumbsup::cry3::thumbsup::cry3::thumbsup:

"It was Lawyer Tillman that got MUGGED by neon deon. We drove the length of the field and made a couple of 4th down conversions on that drive. Terrible no call on LT."

Quote from War Tim.

Actually, I thought it was Freddie Weygand.  I may be wrong, don't think I have that game on tape, as I attended it.    I do agree it was a terrible no-call.  Then again, I had Breakfast at Brennan's that morning, beginning with three Bloody Marys.  I do know we got behind 13-0 but fought back.

Never have like Deion Sanders since.

198410[/snapback]

I am more than capable of forgetting important stuff, but, trust me on this one. I never liked deon from that day on. He was even asked about the play later and instead of telling it like it was, simply said "Hey, he should have pushed me off". :angry:

I don't have one memory of Dye, b/c for most of his tenure I was in middle tn, away from the university. but if there's one thing that Dye did that makes this honor deserved is mentioned in the 2nd post of this thread, we get to play this game at home every other year now.

Most Auburn fans agree that we hit equal footing with bammer on Dec 2, 1989, and that's due to Pat Dye.

One more great memory: with the real game this time....

:uga: game in 1982. We played a back and forth game with the awesome Dawgs and Herschel Walker. For the third time, we held him under 100 yards. We were the only college team to ever do that and we did it all three times we played. Anywa, the guys really played their hearts out. We were just turning the corner after the 5-6 1981 season. We finished the game 7-3 with the loss. It was a very tough 19-14 defeat.

But you dont understand. We played over our heads and just came up short. We were still outmanned and had not quite jelled on offense yet. Anyway, the :uga: crowd was up in the North EndZone still celebrating. We were still in the stands. No one had left yet. We were still too stunned, etc. That was when we started the "It's Great to be an Auburn Tiger!" Cheer. But this time it was different. It grew louder and louder. I mean really loud. The Tigers were already in the locker room. The cheer grew louder and louder. We drowned out the :uga: fans/band. It got louder still. We might have lost, but WE WERE NOT BEAT. Dye and the guys were inside licking their wounds. Feeling sorry for themselves and wishing about what might have been.

The team could easily hear the noise. Dye was so inspired by it all that he sent the team back onto the field. When they came out we gave them a heroes welcome. We knew what they had been through the last few years. We wanted to tell them we still stood behind them. That we knew better things were coming. The team knew what we were telling them too A lot of them cried that night. It was something very special.

Two weeks later, Bo went "Over the Top" in a 23-22 win for the ages. The goal posts came down. We rolled Toomers till day light. You could hear the crowd at Toomer's well past Gentilly Station.

Excuse me now, I have something in my eye......

Archived