News and Thoughts from GatorCountry

DKW 86

Okay now, in the last few weeks, Snead (QB recruit) decommits, the coaches out of the blue comment publicly that Ingram (Roster QB) will change positions (the timing of this made little sense), and now our remaining QB (Roster QB Portis) decides to trasfer. I'm more convinced than ever that all this has to do with Tebow being a silent commitment.

Another thing this might signal is that Meyer has told Portis that he might doesn't plan to go with the spread option at least for next season, now that he knows we can win without it.

LINK

The avalanche of coverage on the Tebow recruitment is just overwhelming. I wonder if the Bama folks arent over playing their hand with Tebow. If he doesnt come to Bama wont this look like a huge loss?

Okay now, in the last few weeks, Snead (QB recruit) decommits, the coaches out of the blue comment publicly that Ingram (Roster QB) will change positions (the timing of this made little sense), and now our remaining QB (Roster QB Portis) decides to trasfer. I'm more convinced than ever that all this has to do with Tebow being a silent commitment.

Another thing this might signal is that Meyer has told Portis that he might doesn't plan to go with the spread option at least for next season, now that he knows we can win without it.

LINK

The avalanche of coverage on the Tebow recruitment is just overwhelming. I wonder if the Bama folks arent over playing their hand with Tebow. If he doesnt come to Bama wont this look like a huge loss?

204752[/snapback]

Nah, the bammer spin machine will be in full force and this will look like a win for the tuhd. You know that as well as anyone.

congrats to smelley on becoming a five star recruit

204755[/snapback]

Latest speculation has Smelly not going to Alabama. Possibly going to South Carolina to be with Spurrier?

It seems Bama put alot of man power into recruiting Tebow and forgot to call Smelley.

204752[/snapback]

The bama faithful are beginning to squirm a little bit. Some want to stay the course with Tebow, believing he will definitely come to UAT. Others aren't so sure and now believe Smelley is as good or better than Tebow so they want to offer this hometown boy before he goes elsewhere and comes back to shoot some pachyderms one day. Isn't this pretty much the case TideFan24 or some of you other bama fans?

One question for all you bama fans.....if you were in Shula's position and had to make a decision today, what would you do in this case?

By the way, the bammers have a write-in campaign going to get Borges hired as the HC at Colorado. TideFan24 is Vice President of this effort :big::big:

and how much do you think shula cares about what billy joe and bobby sue from oneonta think should happen in tahd recruiting

and how much do you think shula cares about what billy joe and bobby sue from oneonta think should happen in tahd recruiting

204761[/snapback]

Billy Joe? Is that TM's real name? :big::big:

Guest Tigrinum Major

204761[/snapback]

Careful with the Oneonta references.

Moundville is a better illustration of a Bama town.

Just for future reference.

no disrespect to oneontians, it was just the first small town that came to mind. I'll change it something much more fitting.

Guest Tigrinum Major
no disrespect to oneontians, it was just the first small town that came to mind. I'll change it something much more fitting.

204768[/snapback]

I was kiding around. We have our share of dirt road alumni here as well. Blount County is full of them.

Realistically, you could have said any small town in Alabama and the Bama fans will outnumber the Auburn fans, with very few exceptions.

Don't worry about changing it. I made people mad about a year ago with comments about Cullman.

204768[/snapback]

How about Vance?

Guest Tigrinum Major

204768[/snapback]

How about Vance?

204772[/snapback]

Or Cottondale, Woodstock, or Brookwood.

congrats to smelley on becoming a five star recruit

204755[/snapback]

Post of the Day!

:hail::hail: :hail:

204774[/snapback]

He will be the first 6 star if he signs with UAT :big:

204752[/snapback]

The bama faithful are beginning to squirm a little bit. Some want to stay the course with Tebow, believing he will definitely come to UAT. Others aren't so sure and now believe Smelley is as good or better than Tebow so they want to offer this hometown boy before he goes elsewhere and comes back to shoot some pachyderms one day. Isn't this pretty much the case TideFan24 or some of you other bama fans?

One question for all you bama fans.....if you were in Shula's position and had to make a decision today, what would you do in this case?

By the way, the bammers have a write-in campaign going to get Borges hired as the HC at Colorado. TideFan24 is Vice President of this effort :big::big:

204758[/snapback]

Actually, I've been squirming since the Iron Bowl. I really like Tebow and think he could do huge things anywhere he goes, but I've decided to take the position of not playing a passing qb at Bama. I would like for Shula to put Jimmy Johns at qb and run every single play. With Darby coming back along with McClain, Castille, Coffee, redshirt freshman Roy Upchurch and true freshman Mike Ford coming in, I see no reason to be in a passing situation next year. That would do away with our two biggest problems this year. Sacks and dropped passes.

As for the Borges to Colorado campaign, that's not me, that's some guy named Buffalo Bob. ;)

Guest Tigrinum Major
that's some guy named Buffalo Bob. ;)

204782[/snapback]

"It rubs the lotion on its skin. It does this whenever it is told."

Oh, wait, that was Buffulo BILL....

204752[/snapback]

See, I'm wondering this too. Though it would never make the Bammer nation wake up to reality, the scenario you are describing would be the perfect compliment to many things that are said on here almost DAILY. Such as:

How Bammers think they don't need scholarships to get the best players because "the best players will always want to come to Bammer."

How there will never be another program in the country or state that can top them.

How "Bama is Back" and their first year off probation is going to be another one for the history books.

These are just a few examples but I really believe that Bammers think that kids nowadays actually CARE about what happened at Alabama in the 70's, and that this is what will make them come there. They DO NOT REALIZE that these kids that are coming to college now were born in 86 and 87. They were 5 or 6 years old when Bammer won national championship #78543. And honestly, when is the last year that Bammer had what anyone outside the Bama nation would call a great season?

They are facing a monumental uphill battle to get back into the picture and they do not even realize it. Tebow going to UF would be a perfect compliment to that.

The ESPN Recruiting Rep on Finebaum had a really funny take on Recruiting Yesterday. He said that anything that happened over 5 years mattered to almost no recruit. He was talking about the limited view of history for most high school recruits.

I think we should offer them both... give Smelly Holifield's scholly now that he is gone, and offer Tebow also. They both commit, make em fight for the playing time. We only get one of them, i'm cool with that. They are both good. I've never been sold on the Tebow hype (which is why i normally don't talk about him). We've all seen 5 star recruits who suck it up in college. Give me the player who wants to do what he has to to help Alabama (i.e. Jimmy Johns). If a player is saying he has to have promised playing time early to sign, let them play elsewhere.

I think Smelley will end up at SC though, since UA didn't offer him, and he's set to commit tomorrow. With all the shuffle at UF, i think Tebow may end up there. I'm not sure, and truly, i haven't been that worried about it. We've got JPW, and JB, and JJ, so i think we've got all we need at QB.

NOW, don't get me wrong, i would love to get both Tebow and Smelley, but it's just not going to happen.

So, to review, I, personally, am satisfied with our current QB situation, but would love to have either Tebow OR Smelley.

Just my opinion

I think we should offer them both... give Smelly Holifield's scholly now that he is gone, and offer Tebow also.  They both commit, make em fight for the playing time.  We only get one of them, i'm cool with that.  They are both good.  I've never been sold on the Tebow hype (which is why i normally don't talk about him).  We've all seen 5 star recruits who suck it up in college.  Give me the player who wants to do what he has to to help Alabama (i.e. Jimmy Johns).  If a player is saying he has to have promised playing time early to sign, let them play elsewhere.

I think Smelley will end up at SC though, since UA didn't offer him, and he's set to commit tomorrow.  With all the shuffle at UF, i think Tebow may end up there.  I'm not sure, and truly, i haven't been that worried about it.  We've got JPW, and JB, and JJ, so i think we've got all we need at QB.

NOW, don't get me wrong, i would love to get both Tebow and Smelley, but it's just not going to happen.

So, to review, I, personally, am satisfied with our current QB situation, but would love to have either Tebow OR Smelley. 

Just my opinion

204795[/snapback]

Man, Well said! We should meet sometime. I have tried for several years now to get the hype out of recruiting. Lectron Williams, Tyler Watts, etc. We put far too much pressure on these kids.

I've never understood why UA didn't go after Smelley harder. From what I understand, it seems like they could have gone up to him a month ago and offered him a scholly, and he would not have even considered anywhere else. With all the competition for Tebow, it just seems like it was too risky for them to put all their faith in him.

:nanner::au::nanner:

I've never understood why UA didn't go after Smelley harder.  From what I understand, it seems like they could have gone up to him a month ago and offered him a scholly, and he would not have even considered anywhere else.  With all the competition for Tebow, it just seems like it was too risky for them to put all their faith in him. 

:nanner:   :au:   :nanner:

204799[/snapback]

since i don't keep up with the recruiting, i can only say what i heard. Supposedly, Tebow has always been intent to sign with either UA or UF... he was leaning towards UA, but now that Meyer is restructuring his offense at UF (as shown in original post of this thread), it is looking more appealing for him to go to UF since he would be the most probable replacement after Leak is gone. If he comes to UA, he'd be competing for playing time against JPW, JB, and possiby even JJ (if Shula moves him back to QB which i would love to see). I do know he is signing next Tues, and Shula has the last meeting with him (Mon night at Tebow's house)

But i agree, never limit yourself in your options. Shula has his priorities in recruiting, and only he knows what those are, but my GUESS is he is more worried about recruiting OL, DL, and DBs. Just my guess.

Do you guys think Tebow watched the Iron Bowl and has since been thinking, “Good Lord, I might not last 4 years with the offensive linemen and OL coach they have!

PS – I do not know how true it is, but I have heard that either Roy Upchurch or Mike Ford was unlikely to make the grades to get in.

Do you guys think Tebow watched the Iron Bowl and has since been thinking, “Good Lord, I might not last 4 years with the offensive linemen and OL coach they have!

PS – I do not know how true it is, but I have heard that either Roy Upchurch or Mike Ford was unlikely to make the grades to get in.

204804[/snapback]

Upchurch is in, but i'm not sure about Mike ford

204804[/snapback]

1st. Tebow keeps up with recruiting. If you pay for the premium boards you can read his articles. He always talks to the recruits he's visiting a college with. He knows the o-line propects that Bama have with a verbal commit right now. He also knows that Andre Smith(the #1 rated lineman in the country) is high on Bama. IF Smith signs with Bama, along with the other commits, Bama will bring in one of the top o-line classes this year. So it's not like he will be playing his career behind the same o-line that allowed 11 sacks against AU. I know it's fun to talk about UA's horrible, horrible o-line this year, but 3 of the starters this year will not be starters next year.

2nd. Roy Upchurch took a redshirt this year, which means he's already on campus. Mike Ford DID miss out on last year and was placed in prep school at Hargrave this past year. Ford doesn't have the grades to enroll this December like he wanted to, which may be what you are talking about, but he says he will be ready by fall.

Archived