News and Thoughts from GatorCountry

DKW 86

Do you guys think Tebow watched the Iron Bowl and has since been thinking, “Good Lord, I might not last 4 years with the offensive linemen and OL coach they have!

PS – I do not know how true it is, but I have heard that either Roy Upchurch or Mike Ford was unlikely to make the grades to get in.

204804[/snapback]

1st. Tebow keeps up with recruiting. If you pay for the premium boards you can read his articles. He always talks to the recruits he's visiting a college with. He knows the o-line propects that Bama have with a verbal commit right now. He also knows that Andre Smith(the #1 rated lineman in the country) is high on Bama. IF Smith signs with Bama, along with the other commits, Bama will bring in one of the top o-line classes this year. So it's not like he will be playing his career behind the same o-line that allowed 11 sacks against AU. I know it's fun to talk about UA's horrible, horrible o-line this year, but 3 of the starters this year will not be starters next year.

2nd. Roy Upchurch took a redshirt this year, which means he's already on campus. Mike Ford DID miss out on last year and was placed in prep school at Hargrave this past year. Ford doesn't have the grades to enroll this December like he wanted to, which may be what you are talking about, but he says he will be ready by fall.

204808[/snapback]

1st. I do get the premium sites and have read some of the articles about him.

2nd. No one ever even considered he would visit and not talk to anyone. But I think it is your contention that Tebow will bring along some good/great recruits when he commits. What happens if he chooses Florida?

3rd. No matter what new OL recruits are signed, they will still be freshmen. Do you expect Bama to start an all true freshman OL next year?

Of the OL prospects that Bama has committed now, which ones will start next year? Andre Smith is good enough, but as yet he has not committed to anyone. Most folks think he will commit and sign with Bama, but he has not done so yet.

4th. But they will have the same OL coach WILL they not? <_<

As for the Borges to Colorado campaign, that's not me, that's some guy named Buffalo Bob. ;)

204782[/snapback]

You sure it's not Billy Bob over in Vance? :big:

Here's the deal. Smelley was told to wait on Tebow. Then if he goes to UF, they will offer.

He's going to SC. Deciding today. Sunday.

Tebow to UF on Tuesday.

Darby to the NFL.

(UA) Stuck w/ Johns & and left scurrying to get another QB. :P

Do you guys think Tebow watched the Iron Bowl and has since been thinking, “Good Lord, I might not last 4 years with the offensive linemen and OL coach they have!

PS – I do not know how true it is, but I have heard that either Roy Upchurch or Mike Ford was unlikely to make the grades to get in.

204804[/snapback]

1st. Tebow keeps up with recruiting. If you pay for the premium boards you can read his articles. He always talks to the recruits he's visiting a college with. He knows the o-line propects that Bama have with a verbal commit right now. He also knows that Andre Smith(the #1 rated lineman in the country) is high on Bama. IF Smith signs with Bama, along with the other commits, Bama will bring in one of the top o-line classes this year. So it's not like he will be playing his career behind the same o-line that allowed 11 sacks against AU. I know it's fun to talk about UA's horrible, horrible o-line this year, but 3 of the starters this year will not be starters next year.

2nd. Roy Upchurch took a redshirt this year, which means he's already on campus. Mike Ford DID miss out on last year and was placed in prep school at Hargrave this past year. Ford doesn't have the grades to enroll this December like he wanted to, which may be what you are talking about, but he says he will be ready by fall.

204808[/snapback]

1st. I do get the premium sites and have read some of the articles about him.

2nd. No one ever even considered he would visit and not talk to anyone. But I think it is your contention that Tebow will bring along some good/great recruits when he commits. What happens if he chooses Florida?

3rd. No matter what new OL recruits are signed, they will still be freshmen. Do you expect Bama to start an all true freshman OL next year?

Of the OL prospects that Bama has committed now, which ones will start next year? Andre Smith is good enough, but as yet he has not committed to anyone. Most folks think he will commit and sign with Bama, but he has not done so yet.

4th. But they will have the same OL coach WILL they not? <_<

204817[/snapback]

2. I don't think he will bring along some good recruits IF he commits to Bama. I was simply saying he knows that if he did sing with Bama he will be coming in with a class that has 3 four star ol commits as of right now, with the possibility of the best o-lineman in the nation. I'd say that has a chance to be a pretty solid cast of lineman to play your entire career behind.

3. Yes, I fully expect to see 2-3 freshman starting next year. Andre Smith is good enough(but you are correct, he hasn't chosen which school he will attend), along with Alex Stadler and Taylor Phar. Yes, they will be young and will have a ton of false starts and holding penalties in the first several games, but they will figure out the speed of the game, and they are better than at least two of Bama's starters this year.

4. Yes, the same o-line coach that didn't have a problem when talent like Smiley, Wes Britt and Mathis were on the line. He may not be the best in the o-line business, but he did a pretty good job when he had SEC caliber talent. AND, with a terrible line this year Bama still had a runningback go over 1000 yards averaging better than 5 yards per carry.

Bama is not as well off as some hardcore Bama fans think, but they are also not as bad off as some hardcore AU fans think.

TideFan24 and JxnTider........thanks for good responses and contributing to good discussion. Personally, I agree that bama is already in good shape at QB whether they get Tebow or Smelley. I think JPW is going to be better than Tyler or Brodie.

IF Smith signs with Bama, along with the other commits, Bama will bring in one of the top o-line classes this year. So it's not like he will be playing his career behind the same o-line that allowed 11 sacks against AU.

3. Yes, I fully expect to see 2-3 freshman starting next year. Andre Smith is good enough(but you are correct, he hasn't chosen which school he will attend), along with Alex Stadler and Taylor Phar. Yes, they will be young and will have a ton of false starts and holding penalties in the first several games, but they will figure out the speed of the game, and they are better than at least two of Bama's starters this year.

204808[/snapback]

That sounds great. But those true freshmen will be starting against an experienced AU defense that will still have all of those DE's who ran thru, over & around Bama's OL like Sherman running over Atlanta. As an after thought, it is great (according to those premium sites) that Bama is signing one of the top o-line classes this year. Because according to those same premium sites, AU is signing one of if not the top DL class this year.

I am not just trying to knock on Bama (but as an Aubie, that is always fun) but if you think back to this time last year we were having the very same discussion with you and other Bama fans about the OL. The last two years I have asked the question, how will the graduation of Britt, Mathis, Smiley, a couple of others & now Closner affect the OL. The last two years the response has been we have great OL guys coming up who will be as good or better than Britt, Mathis, Smiley & now Closner. Well the offensive linemen that were going to be better, faltered big time down the stretch. After Closner was injured, those guys were clueless. Now we are hearing about how great the offensive linemen are who have not even finished high school.

IF Smith signs with Bama, along with the other commits, Bama will bring in one of the top o-line classes this year. So it's not like he will be playing his career behind the same o-line that allowed 11 sacks against AU.

204808[/snapback]

That sounds great. But those true freshmen will be starting against an experienced AU defense that will still have all of those DE's who ran thru, over & around Bama's OL like Sherman running over Atlanta. As an after thought, it is great (according to those premium sites) that Bama is signing one of the top o-line classes this year. Because according to those same premium sites, AU is signing one of if not the top DL class this year.

I am not just trying to knock on Bama (but as an Aubie, that is always fun) but if you think back to this time last year we were having the very same discussion with you and other Bama fans about the OL. The last two years I have asked the question, how will the graduation of Britt, Mathis, Smiley, a couple of others & now Closner affect the OL. The last two years the response has been we have great OL guys coming up who will be as good or better than Britt, Mathis, Smiley & now Closner. Well the offensive linemen that were going to be better, faltered big time down the stretch. After Closner was injured, those guys were clueless. Now we are hearing about how great the offensive linemen are who have not even finished high school.

204831[/snapback]

The good thing is, those true freshmen will be starting against an experienced AU defense in the LAST regular season game. Bama's schedule is favorable again next year, not as easy as this year, but easy enough to get those young guys some experience.

I realize that with Bama's fan base, we will ALWAYS have a % of people that will simply say that "Bama will be fine, and we have guys who will be better than Smiley, Britt and Mathis", so I won't argue your point there, but I never said any of the such. I was, and still am, high on the two freshmen that started this year. With the exception of Closner, they were next best two. But I, along with many of my companions on CT knew very well that our o-line would be, and was the weak spot. It again will be a problem spot next year with holding and false starts, but I'll be shocked if the true freshmen playing in next years AU game gives up 11 sacks. I'm not trying to paint a pretty 10 win BCS year next year, but it won't be a losing season either. 8 wins with playing a ton of young talent on the o-line, and I will call it a great season.

TideFan24 and JxnTider........thanks for good responses and contributing to good discussion. Personally, I agree that bama is already in good shape at QB whether they get Tebow or Smelley. I think JPW is going to be better than Tyler or Brodie.

Right back at you Proud. It's good to have a discussion with different opinions that doesn't result in name calling.

I'm not trying to paint a pretty 10 win BCS year next year, but it won't be a losing season either.  8 wins with playing a ton of young talent on the o-line, and I will call it a great season. 

204841[/snapback]

That brings up another question. This year with an 11 game schedule, 10 wins would get a team into the BCS (actually this year 9 wins did the trick). Is there a minimum win # for the BCS? Or merely being in the top 10 or in the case of FSU, winning their conference.

Right back at you Proud. It's good to have a discussion with different opinions that doesn't result in name calling.

204841[/snapback]

what TideFan said Proud... always nice to have a civil discussion with rivals. It seems to happen a lot more in the offseason though... :big: Wonder why that is? Anyways, i also agree with what you said about JPW. In my opinion, he'll be healthier, which could be his only advantage. But, i like his pocket presence, and from what little i've seen of him and read about him, he's got a firm grasp on Shula's offense and he's a very smart QB. However, right now, how good he will be can only be speculation. "Talk is cheap until the game is over"

Archived