New Rivals Rankings Out

metafour

The new Rivals Rankings are out for anyone interested, there hasn't been too many changes but a couple players have moved around. One notable is Mike Berry, who currently looks like will commit with us, has been upgraded from a 3-star prospect to a 4-star prospect. He is now ranked as the 14th best OG in the nation, which is a considerable leap.

Mark it down folks...Mike McCoy who two weeks ago was a mid-three star WR ranked around 64 in the nation commits to the Tahd over the weekend and is all of a sudden #25 and a four star recruit.

:blink: :huh:

You don't think that Forrest :homer: Davis had anything to do with that do you???

:thumbsdown:

What is REALLY funny about this forest gump "stuff" is they are only LYING to THEMSELVES.

I guess they are the only folks stupid enough to believe it. :big:

So let me get this straight. AU commit moves from 3 stars to 4 stars, and no comments about that. BUT McCoy moves from 3 stars to 4 stars and there must be some Bama homer doing the rankings?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Guess what, McCoy, along with a TON of other players were "re-ranked". It shocks me to see some of you poking fun at Bama for conspiracy theories.

Guys, Rivals is pretty reputable. They regularly reevaluate players after getting film from the just concluded season, compiling stats and so on. Greg Smith for instance was a 2-star back in 2004 when we signed him. This year coming out of JUCO, he's a 5-star at Rivals...because they continue to evaluate players over time. tf24 has a good point...you can't come up with excuses when a Bama player moves up and ignore it when an Auburn player does the same.

So let me get this straight.  AU commit moves from 3 stars to 4 stars, and no comments about that.  BUT McCoy moves from 3 stars to 4 stars and there must be some Bama homer doing the rankings?? :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:

Guess what, McCoy, along with a TON of other players were "re-ranked".  It shocks me to see some of you poking fun at Bama for conspiracy theories.

205295[/snapback]

Let me help you get ti straight. McCoy is a bama commit. Berry is not an Auburn commit :poke:

So let me get this straight.  AU commit moves from 3 stars to 4 stars, and no comments about that.  BUT McCoy moves from 3 stars to 4 stars and there must be some Bama homer doing the rankings?? :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:

Guess what, McCoy, along with a TON of other players were "re-ranked".  It shocks me to see some of you poking fun at Bama for conspiracy theories.

205295[/snapback]

Heybamma! 28 - 18

WDE!!

205295[/snapback]

First of all, Berry hasn't committed anywhere although he does have Auburn high on his list. Secondly, the stars weren't as blatantly obvious as the national ranking. Berry went up possibly 6-10 spots in the overall order, while McCoy went up 40+ spots conveniently a day after he verballed to Bama. I am not suggesting a conspiracy, I am opening the door on what has happened for years in the world of recruiting services in the southeast who just happen to be started and run by Alabama graduates.

:huh:

Well, you do have to realize that whether it's Scout or Rivals or whoever, it's nearly impossible to perfectly evaluate every single player out there. Initially, they are going to look closer at the ones who have already made a name for themselves at the HS level, so they've seen a lot more film on them. Some of the 1 and 2-star guys are just that way based on sketchy info...a few stats or size and 40 time. They haven't actually seen film so they leave them at that level until they can see for themselves. But then a bigger program like Auburn, Georgia, Alabama or LSU shows interest or offers the guy a scholly so they figure it's a kid they need to dig into right away. He's been flying under the radar up to that point but when a major program offers a scholly, there's probably something there. Sure enough, when they view game film and get more info they see what the coaches saw and adjust accordingly. It's just how this thing works.

who cares if rivals has a guy at number 50 or number 20? he's the same player regardless. outside of the absolute top of the top prospects, there isn't a dime's worth of difference between anyone on any of their lists. if you're good enough to get on the list, you're probably just as likely to be successful in college as the guy 10 spots above you. it all just depends on the situation you find yourself in.

as long as tubby and the staff want the guy, i'll be happy with him coming here b/c those guys have a better track record than scout.com or rivals by miles and miles.

Come on guys, it's not like the stars or player rankings matter a hill of beans when they get to their respective universities. If :au: were to sign the top 22 players in the country, they would not start. We all know it's about the progression these players make from the HS level to the collegiate level. CTT has a great evaluation process.

"The first thing we look at is character," Tuberville said. "We want to bring in guys that can play and have an opportunity to get a degree, but we're not going to sacrifice our philosophy for a guy that hasn't done things right off the field.

"The second thing we look at is the main reason you go to college. We tell them from Day One in recruiting that they are coming to get a degree first. The third thing is athletic ability and if they can help us win a national championship."

From al.com

who cares if rivals has a guy at number 50 or number 20? he's the same player regardless. outside of the absolute top of the top prospects, there isn't a dime's worth of difference between anyone on any of their lists. if you're good enough to get on the list, you're probably just as likely to be successful in college as the guy 10 spots above you. it all just depends on the situation you find yourself in.

as long as tubby and the staff want the guy, i'll be happy with him coming here b/c those guys have a better track record than scout.com or rivals by miles and miles.

205404[/snapback]

Well said.

It's not just grading the recruit. How many years has Georgia, Bama, LSU, etc beat us on the recruiting rankings, just to have our 2-3 star guys become studs from coaching. Look at bammers line....they got worse irrespective of injuries and depth. The mighty Croyle was the fourth or fifth rated SEC quarterback, but one of the best going in...hmmmh.

Archived