Lowder Poll

Boonan

Do you like and/or support Lowder?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like and/or support Lowder?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the issue is a little more complicated than something you can give a simple yes or no answer to. I don't know Lowder personally (though I did meet him once way back in the day), I sometimes go back and forth between thinking that (1) he really loves Auburn and is just misguided and doesn't realize all the harm he causes while trying to help, and (2) he is really just a megalomaniac and doesn't care about the fact that all his meddling keeps giving Auburn the proverbial black eye.

He has certainly caused Auburn a lot of harm, but on the other hand he has given a lot of money to the school and that money has done a lot of good. I hope that all the people who bash him and say we don't need his contributions have put their money where their mouths are and have supported Auburn financially.

If pressed for a yes or no, I admit that on the whole I think Auburn would be better off if he stepped down and removed himself.

Just my $.02.

Hehe, moms first job out of college was in Montgomery for Lowder in the 70's. The comments about ego, putting his interest first to show he can etc etc are accurate from what she saw.

I will plead the "Regan" rule and speak no evil of an Auburn Man. :au:

It appears to me he has the ability to do so much good for our beloved university yet all his gestures come with a spiderweb of strings attached. If he can not do good for Auburn without his own agenda secuely latched on to it I say move on Mr. Lowder and we will better off without your almighty $.

Thats what I hate also 95, is he has the means and does things that greatly benefit Auburn, and then turns around and does something to hurt it. The guy is constantly breaking even when it comes to Auburn it seems.

Perhaps much of the criticism of him has been exaggerated--I don't know because I don't have the inside connections to have all the facts. Perhaps he has done a lot of good for the University and certainly he has the resources to help the school in the future. But for me, the bottom line seems to be that he has become such a lightning rod for negative publicity that, deservedly or not, he tarnishes the public image of the school.

I can't speak for him, but if I personally were in his position, I would resign from the BOT and remove myself from the limelight out of love for AU and to avoid bringing it any more negative press. I would continue to share my great wealth with the school I love, but would do so quietly and remain total detached from all administrative decisions and policies. I would not give the press any further reason to criticize me or Auburn University.

They were talking about Lowder and this article yesterday on the Finebaum show. The Bammers (Shane in particular) wanted to stir the pot and were almost indignant about "the way things are run in Auburn." Finebaum pointed out the state of affairs in AU before Lowder and after. Before Dye and after. When Dye came, he got Lowder to form the corp. that would market AU football (and other sports). Finebaum said that he had investigated and interviewed hundreds of people and found no evidence of Lowder meddling in AU affairs in a negative way. It was his (Finebaum's) opinion that AU was much better off since Lowder has been a contributor and booster.

Personally, I don't know what to think. There are those who could be jealous and want a piece of the pie or want to increase the power of their influence. I must agree with another point that Finebaum made and that is every university needs someone that can and will provide the money, time, expertise and effort to make things good and or better.

Like Tim said, I will speak no evil of an Auburn Man.

Guest Tigrinum Major

One point to add to what Mike said: Colonial Bank is a major sponsor of the Finebaum Radio Network.

I think the stories are probably blown out of proportion. I have no issues with the man.

A better question is why is a bammer doing a poll on an Auburn board about one of our BOTs? And could you tell us why Lowder is any different from PB, Jr.?

I might add that bama must like him since he also gives to UAT and I never heard of them turning down his money. :poke:

It appears to me he has the ability to do so much good for our beloved university yet all his gestures come with a spiderweb of strings attached.  If he can not do good for Auburn without his own agenda secuely latched on to it I say move on Mr. Lowder and we will better off without your almighty $.

211363[/snapback]

My friend you better think long and hard about that one if you want Auburn to stay competetive with our rivals.

Why don't we just quit bashing one of our own in public when it is not going to accomplish on singe thing? Do you ever see the bammers bashing PB, Jr.?

The picture in that article of PBjR is a bit odd. Is he wearing orange 'cause he is coming back from huntin' him some possum, or was he picking up trash on the side of the highway? Is he a closet UT fan?

Now before someone calls me out for being non-PC, I admit that I had an opportunity to pick up trash on the side of the highway once - instead I sped up and drove on past that hitch-hiker with the bammer shirt :big:

I am definitely not a Bammer, even if I have a bro- and sis-in-law that go there. Actually, I don't really have anything against fans or attendees of UA as long as they provide intelleigent conversation and arguments, which thankfully the overwhelmingly majority that hang around here do. To make a reference to the Music Man, I graduated form AU as a member of the gold medal class of aught five.

Boonan is a bammer?

211455[/snapback]

It's a natural....Boonan the Bammer :big::big:

211458[/snapback]

Could also be Boonan the Barner, to use one of what I generally consider to be one of the more derogatory names for AU peeps. :P:P

back to the subject at hand....

I appreciate every $ that lowder has given to Auburn University, but I detest the price for that money. I detest the fact, that the amount of money you give determines the amount of power you have. I greatly detest what he does with that power. Because of how he uses his power, I don't want him at auburn....He has put auburn in a negative light far too many times with his "control", and its simply not worth it.. I know everybody associated with auburn university is not on the up and up....but i expect the BOT to adhere to some professionalism, and ETHICS...and lowder has no ethics...he does what he wants when he wants.... I for one, can't wait for the day he is no longer on the BOT....

I appreciate every $ that lowder has given to Auburn University, but I detest the price for that money.  I detest the fact, that the amount of money you give determines the amount of power you have.  I greatly detest what he does with that power.  Because of how he uses his power, I don't want him at auburn....He has put auburn in a negative light far too many times with his "control", and its simply not worth it..  I know everybody associated with auburn university is not on the up and up....but i expect the BOT  to adhere to some professionalism, and ETHICS...and lowder has no ethics...he does what he wants when he wants.... I for one, can't wait for the day he is no longer on the BOT....

211463[/snapback]

I really, really wish you and others of like mind would call the man, schedule some time with him, be blunt with him about your opinions, and then come back and tell us what you think. At least have a factual basis for your opinion.

I appreciate every $ that lowder has given to Auburn University, but I detest the price for that money.  I detest the fact, that the amount of money you give determines the amount of power you have.  I greatly detest what he does with that power.  Because of how he uses his power, I don't want him at auburn....He has put auburn in a negative light far too many times with his "control", and its simply not worth it..  I know everybody associated with auburn university is not on the up and up....but i expect the BOT  to adhere to some professionalism, and ETHICS...and lowder has no ethics...he does what he wants when he wants.... I for one, can't wait for the day he is no longer on the BOT....

211463[/snapback]

I really, really wish you and others of like mind would call the man, schedule some time with him, be blunt with him about your opinions, and then come back and tell us what you think. At least have a factual basis for your opinion.

211475[/snapback]

PT, I'd love to meet lowder..but i don't have enough money for him to take his time with me....i don't have anything he wants....so it would never happen. My basis for my opinion is the forcing out and downright firing of coaches because he wanted them gone..my basis is a plane ride to Louisville to offer a job to someone at auburn university that wasn't even available.. Correct me if i'm wrong.but isn't everybody else that was on that plane gone from auburn except the BOT members??? Why is that??

211463[/snapback]

211475[/snapback]

Well PT - It's time to put up or shut up. You arrange a deposition w/ THE MAN to be asked unrestricted questions by the attys on this board. In addition, THE MAN will be strapped to a lie dectector. We'll find the facts about this fine man and post them here on the board. How can such a fine man fail to accept this offer to completely clear his name? I'll put my time in pro bono.

QUOTE(95tgr4life @ Jan 14 2006, 09:23 AM)

It appears to me he has the ability to do so much good for our beloved university yet all his gestures come with a spiderweb of strings attached. If he can not do good for Auburn without his own agenda secuely latched on to it I say move on Mr. Lowder and we will better off without your almighty $.

My friend you better think long and hard about that one if you want Auburn to stay competetive with our rivals.

Why don't we just quit bashing one of our own in public when it is not going to accomplish on singe thing? Do you ever see the bammers bashing PB, Jr.?

PT I hardly think I was bashing him rather I was saying it is a shame the way he does business. Believe it or not I believe Auburn and Auburn athletics are bigger than one man. I do not think he is irreplaceable. Maybe it would take three or four rather wealthy people to step up to make up for him but it could and would happen. Did you ever think how many potential boosters and potentialy involved alumni that are staying away because of this man and his business practices.

It appears to me he has the ability to do so much good for our beloved university yet all his gestures come with a spiderweb of strings attached.  If he can not do good for Auburn without his own agenda secuely latched on to it I say move on Mr. Lowder and we will better off without your almighty $.

211363[/snapback]

211440[/snapback]

Sorry my above reply should have appeared with quotes. I am new here and just figured it out.

Archived