Gibbs and AU DB's

Aubie7

Any amount of "effort"? Your post is too laughable to even attempt to respond further. I will simply let others see it and point out your ignorance of the game. :au:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope you aren't studying to be a lawyer. If so, your client fries. You took a whole lot of "nothing" , added more "nothing" and put back a heaping pile of..."nothing"!

It always makes me laugh when these "coaches" get on here and start talking like they have been at NFL combines for years, or they pretend to be experts in areas they are generally clueless. Such is the case with your "argument". Keep watching SportsCenter, or wherever you got your mumbo-jumbo reply from. That should really help pay off on those exams.

217534[/snapback]

Oh, now we all see...coaches like you :o Will you please post your resume now?? Did you only start this thread to getting into pissing matches with everybody or to just continue your usual negativity.

Stat shot down your posts. The AU coaching staff is going to recruit the best athletes that fit into the Auburn system, whether it is the quickest and fastest 5'5" 250# DB, with a 43" vert or a 6'6" fast and quick BD with a 12" vert.

Height a great DB does not make. Great DBs (as everyone else has said) are the ones that are in position where and when they should be. They have great closing speed and great instincts. Carlos Rogers had these...his INT against UGA. He fell down...recovered, b/c of closing speed got back in position quick enought to bait Greene into throwing to the "open" WR in the endzone. To which CR picked it off. I think one of our biggest problems last year was the inexperience we did have back there. We had some talented guys step in who were young and inexpereinced, but they won't be next year. The schemes we ran maybe were too complicated for the young guys, who knows. The UK game saw a lot of the 3rd teamers playing. The UGA game was destined to be a shoot out from the get go. I think if Sears played LB that game, we had a better matchup on their big TE and the game is a little different, IMO. I think we were not ready to play in the bowl game all around from the coaches to the players to the water boys/girl.

I think you just wanted an argument.

218343[/snapback]

Finally, some sign of intelligent life. I do disagree about the UGA game being destined to be a shootout. I feel we had a much better defense than they had offense. Poor play and poor schemes didn't help that night. With any amount of effort, from both players and coaches, that game would not have been close.

218464[/snapback]

I actually thought the UGA game was a well played offensive game by both teams and not necessarily bad D. Of course the Ds could have been better, but I think those two Os were just that good. I think our coaches and players played with plenty of effort.

I for one have never been a fan of the cover 2. I liked the way Chizik and Muschamp (in '03) mixed it up on D. I like man on the corners, if you got the CBs to do it, ala CR and JR in '04, and the LSU CBs of the '03 NC team. I look for AU to run a different secondary scheme next year that really utilizes our speed more, even from the LB spot. heck, Trey Blackmon could play safety!!! But more effective as a LB I think, as he gains weitght.

I hope you aren't studying to be a lawyer. If so, your client fries. You took a whole lot of "nothing" , added more "nothing" and put back a heaping pile of..."nothing"!

It always makes me laugh when these "coaches" get on here and start talking like they have been at NFL combines for years, or they pretend to be experts in areas they are generally clueless. Such is the case with your "argument". Keep watching SportsCenter, or wherever you got your mumbo-jumbo reply from. That should really help pay off on those exams.

217534[/snapback]

Oh, now we all see...coaches like you :o Will you please post your resume now?? Did you only start this thread to getting into pissing matches with everybody or to just continue your usual negativity.

Stat shot down your posts. The AU coaching staff is going to recruit the best athletes that fit into the Auburn system, whether it is the quickest and fastest 5'5" 250# DB, with a 43" vert or a 6'6" fast and quick BD with a 12" vert.

Height a great DB does not make. Great DBs (as everyone else has said) are the ones that are in position where and when they should be. They have great closing speed and great instincts. Carlos Rogers had these...his INT against UGA. He fell down...recovered, b/c of closing speed got back in position quick enought to bait Greene into throwing to the "open" WR in the endzone. To which CR picked it off. I think one of our biggest problems last year was the inexperience we did have back there. We had some talented guys step in who were young and inexpereinced, but they won't be next year. The schemes we ran maybe were too complicated for the young guys, who knows. The UK game saw a lot of the 3rd teamers playing. The UGA game was destined to be a shoot out from the get go. I think if Sears played LB that game, we had a better matchup on their big TE and the game is a little different, IMO. I think we were not ready to play in the bowl game all around from the coaches to the players to the water boys/girl.

218343[/snapback]

Finally, some sign of intelligent life. I do disagree about the UGA game being destined to be a shootout. I feel we had a much better defense than they had offense. Poor play and poor schemes didn't help that night. With any amount of effort, from both players and coaches, that game would not have been close.

218464[/snapback]

I actually thought the UGA game was a well played offensive game by both teams and not necessarily bad D. Of course the Ds could have been better, but I think those two Os were just that good. I think our coaches and players played with plenty of effort.

I for one have never been a fan of the cover 2. I liked the way Chizik and Muschamp (in '03) mixed it up on D. I like man on the corners, if you got the CBs to do it, ala CR and JR in '04, and the LSU CBs of the '03 NC team. I look for AU to run a different secondary scheme next year that really utilizes our speed more, even from the LB spot. heck, Trey Blackmon could play safety!!! But more effective as a LB I think, as he gains weitght.

218507[/snapback]

Let's hope this new coach is a teacher, not just a preacher.

217534[/snapback]

218343[/snapback]

218464[/snapback]

218507[/snapback]

Let's hope this new coach is a teacher, not just a preacher.

218761[/snapback]

What the heck does THAT mean? :blink:

Guest Tigrinum Major
I don't follow recruiting. Don't see a need to as it takes four years to pan out. No need getting upset over who we got, or didn't get. There was one thing, however, that really stoodout in a article I read this morning. We signed one DB and he was 5-11 in height. This realy irks me. Time and time again, over several years, going back to CTB's days, we haved lined up 5-8 to 5-11 DB's against 6 foot plus receivers from other teams. It is a losing battle. I know there are big DB'S out there because other schools have them in place. AU just doesn't sign them, or go after them. The DB position (corner, safety, Strong Safety) is a huge weakspot for our team. Look back at last season, and especially  the Bowl game, and see how bad we were hurt. They don't cover well, they don't tackle especially well either. Is it coaching? That is my next point,

I read where Gibbs is leaving. Great! Our defensive schemes this year were terrible, particularly down the stretch. His plans of man-to-man and press coverage on receivers didn't develop. We played too much of a cushion all year and were repeatedly burned by it. There must be someone out there who can do a better job of coaching this position. As is, with no newcomers on board, we are hurting in the secondary for 2006. This has to be our weakest link for this year. I don't see the situation getting any better. Starting in 2007, we will have to go with new players, which puts the defense even further behind.

Please don't respond to this post with "Sunshine" remarks. I am looking for intelligent feedback. Thanks.

217008[/snapback]

I have been out of town, but let me address this.

As others have said, height is not a pre-requisite for playing DB. On the other hand, it does not hurt. I would rather have a guy that was 5-10 that was a ferocious hitter and a guy that can jump out of the stadium than a 6-3 guy that cannot tackle nor cover his own shadow.

The secondary isn't that big a concern for me. We have Irons back, who, after a shaky start against Calvin Johnson, played well the rest of the year. The safeties are solid, if unspectacular. I like the way that Herring plays, although I wouldn't be disappointed if he were moved to OLB ala' Dansby this fall. Gandy, Brock and Bell are all rising juniors. I keep waiting for Tony Bell to get his head right and take over a safety spot. Hasn't happened yet.

The other corner is up for grabs. Wilhite showed flashes of good play during the season. There is a part time starter there that could be moved to WR. I am not around him every day, but it appears that he does not have the correct mindset to play corner (by the way, he is 6-3, so your height requirement is shot down.) Patrick Lee is another that has shown he has the right attitude, but needs more seasoning.

Another note, every player I just mentioned is 6-0 or better with the exception of Wilhite (5-11).

We aren't losing anyone next season but Herring and Irons. I would imagine that DBs will be a recruiting priority next year. It is not out of the realm of possibilities that an incoming freshman could be moved to DB (Zachary is my candidate), redshirted and groomed to take over in a couple years.

While I see your concerns, the reasoning (height deficiencies, playing young players in 2007) isn't that sound.

I don't follow recruiting. Don't see a need to as it takes four years to pan out. No need getting upset over who we got, or didn't get. There was one thing, however, that really stoodout in a article I read this morning. We signed one DB and he was 5-11 in height. This realy irks me. Time and time again, over several years, going back to CTB's days, we haved lined up 5-8 to 5-11 DB's against 6 foot plus receivers from other teams. It is a losing battle. I know there are big DB'S out there because other schools have them in place. AU just doesn't sign them, or go after them. The DB position (corner, safety, Strong Safety) is a huge weakspot for our team. Look back at last season, and especially  the Bowl game, and see how bad we were hurt. They don't cover well, they don't tackle especially well either. Is it coaching? That is my next point,

I read where Gibbs is leaving. Great! Our defensive schemes this year were terrible, particularly down the stretch. His plans of man-to-man and press coverage on receivers didn't develop. We played too much of a cushion all year and were repeatedly burned by it. There must be someone out there who can do a better job of coaching this position. As is, with no newcomers on board, we are hurting in the secondary for 2006. This has to be our weakest link for this year. I don't see the situation getting any better. Starting in 2007, we will have to go with new players, which puts the defense even further behind.

Please don't respond to this post with "Sunshine" remarks. I am looking for intelligent feedback. Thanks.

217008[/snapback]

I have been out of town, but let me address this.

As others have said, height is not a pre-requisite for playing DB. On the other hand, it does not hurt. I would rather have a guy that was 5-10 that was a ferocious hitter and a guy that can jump out of the stadium than a 6-3 guy that cannot tackle nor cover his own shadow.

The secondary isn't that big a concern for me. We have Irons back, who, after a shaky start against Calvin Johnson, played well the rest of the year. The safeties are solid, if unspectacular. I like the way that Herring plays, although I wouldn't be disappointed if he were moved to OLB ala' Dansby this fall. Gandy, Brock and Bell are all rising juniors. I keep waiting for Tony Bell to get his head right and take over a safety spot. Hasn't happened yet.

The other corner is up for grabs. Wilhite showed flashes of good play during the season. There is a part time starter there that could be moved to WR. I am not around him every day, but it appears that he does not have the correct mindset to play corner (by the way, he is 6-3, so your height requirement is shot down.) Patrick Lee is another that has shown he has the right attitude, but needs more seasoning.

Another note, every player I just mentioned is 6-0 or better with the exception of Wilhite (5-11).

We aren't losing anyone next season but Herring and Irons. I would imagine that DBs will be a recruiting priority next year. It is not out of the realm of possibilities that an incoming freshman could be moved to DB (Zachary is my candidate), redshirted and groomed to take over in a couple years.

While I see your concerns, the reasoning (height deficiencies, playing young players in 2007) isn't that sound.

218773[/snapback]

TM :quest1: 7

Archived