DUDE, WHERE'S MY CIVIL WAR?

Tigermike

DUDE, WHERE'S MY CIVIL WAR?

RALPH PETERS

March 5, 2006 -- BAGHDAD

I'M trying. I've been trying all week. The other day, I drove another 30 miles or so on the streets and alleys of Baghdad. I'm looking for the civil war that The New York Times declared. And I just can't find it.

Maybe actually being on the ground in Iraq prevents me from seeing it. Perhaps the view's clearer from Manhattan. It could be that my background as an intelligence officer didn't give me the right skills.

And riding around with the U.S. Army, looking at things first-hand, is certainly a technique to which The New York Times wouldn't stoop in such an hour of crisis.

Let me tell you what I saw anyway. Rolling with the "instant Infantry" gunners of the 1st Platoon of Bravo Battery, 4-320 Field Artillery, I saw children and teenagers in a Shia slum jumping up and down and cheering our troops as they drove by. Cheering our troops.

All day - and it was a long day - we drove through Shia and Sunni neighborhoods. Everywhere, the reception was warm. No violence. None.

And no hostility toward our troops. Iraqis went out of their way to tell us we were welcome.

Instead of a civil war, something very different happened because of the bombing of the Golden Mosque in Samarra. The fanatic attempt to stir up Sunni-vs.-Shia strife, and the subsequent spate of violent attacks, caused popular support for the U.S. presence to spike upward.

Think Abu Musab al-Zarqawi intended that?

In place of the civil war that elements in our media declared, I saw full streets, open shops, traffic jams, donkey carts, Muslim holiday flags - and children everywhere, waving as our Humvees passed. Even the clouds of dust we stirred up didn't deter them. And the presence of children in the streets is the best possible indicator of a low threat level.

Southeast Baghdad, at least, was happy to see our troops.

And we didn't just drive past them. First Lt. Clenn Frost, the platoon leader, took every opportunity to dismount and mingle with the people. Women brought their children out of their compound gates to say hello. A local sheik spontaneously invited us into his garden for colas and sesame biscuits.

It wasn't the Age of Aquarius. The people had serious concerns. And security was No. 1. They wanted the Americans to crack down harder on the foreign terrorists and to disarm the local militias. Iraqis don't like and don't support the militias, Shia or Sunni, which are nothing more than armed gangs.

Help's on the way, if slowly. The Iraqi Army has confounded its Western critics, performing extremely well last week. And the people trust their new army to an encouraging degree. The Iraqi police aren't all the way there yet, and the population doesn't yet have much confidence in them. But all of this takes time.

And even the police are making progress. We took a team of them with us so they could train beside our troops. We visited a Public Order Battalion - a gendarmerie outfit - that reeked of sloth and carelessness. But the regular Iraqi Police outfit down the road proved surprisingly enthusiastic and professional. It's just an uneven, difficult, frustrating process.

So what did I learn from a day in the dust and muck of Baghdad's less-desirable boroughs? As the long winter twilight faded into haze and the fires of the busy shawarma stands blazed in the fresh night, I felt that Iraq was headed, however awkwardly, in the right direction.

The country may still see a civil war one day. But not just yet, thanks. Violence continues. A roadside bomb was found in the next sector to the west. There will be more deaths, including some of our own troops. But Baghdad's vibrant life has not been killed. And the people of Iraq just might surprise us all.

So why were we told that Iraq was irreversibly in the throes of civil war when it wasn't remotely true? I think the answers are straightforward. First, of course, some parties in the West are anxious to believe the worst about Iraq. They've staked their reputations on Iraq's failure.

But there's no way we can let irresponsible journalists off the hook - or their parent organizations. Many journalists are, indeed, brave and conscientious; yet some in Baghdad - working for "prestigious" publications - aren't out on the city streets the way they pretend to be.

They're safe in their enclaves, protected by hired guns, complaining that it's too dangerous out on the streets. They're only in Baghdad for the byline, and they might as well let their Iraqi employees phone it in to the States. Whenever you see a column filed from Baghdad by a semi-celeb journalist with a "contribution" by a local Iraqi, it means this: The Iraqi went out and got the story, while the journalist stayed in his or her room.

And the Iraqi stringers have cracked the code: The Americans don't pay for good news. So they exaggerate the bad.

And some of them have agendas of their own.

A few days ago, a wild claim that the Baghdad morgue held 1,300 bodies was treated as Gospel truth. Yet Iraqis exaggerate madly and often have partisan interests. Did any Western reporter go to that morgue and count the bodies - a rough count would have done it - before telling the world the news?

I doubt it.

If reporters really care, it's easy to get out on the streets of Baghdad. The 506th Infantry Regiment - and other great military units - will take journalists on their patrols virtually anywhere in the city. Our troops are great to work with. (Of course, there's the danger of becoming infected with patriot- ism . . .)

I'm just afraid that some of our journalists don't want to know the truth anymore.

For me, though, memories of Baghdad will be the cannoneers of the 1st Platoon walking the dusty, reeking alleys of Baghdad. I'll recall 1st Lt. Frost conducting diplomacy with the locals and leading his men through a date-palm grove in a search for insurgent mortar sites.

I'll remember that lieutenant investigating the murder of a Sunni mullah during last week's disturbances, cracking down on black-marketers, checking up on sewer construction, reassuring citizens - and generally doing the job of a lieutenant-colonel in peacetime.

Oh, and I'll remember those "radical Shias" cheering our patrol as we passed by.

Ralph Peters is reporting from Forward Operating Base Loyalty, where he's been riding with the 506th Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division.

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/64677.htm

The Left has their 3 hrs of airtime per week on one of the local am stations. It runs from 6-9 in the morning. Waking up at 7 something today, I tuned in, for about 20 seconds. The host was in the middle of some diatribe where he recites false claims attributed to the GOP, and then lies about pretty much everything. Host tried to imply that we'd be met in Iraq by children and women throwing rose petals. Fact is, in some parts we WERE greeted warmly, and not so much in other parts. Host tried to claim that we'd find 'stockpiles ' of WMD, and while some have been found, he dismisses everything and says we've found nothing. It goes on and on like this , one lie, one distortion , one omission of fact after another, so I change the station. He's simply preaching to his choir who has to be reminded as to why they have to hate Bush. It's nothing but 3 hrs of that nonsense, and when reasoable folks try to call in and point out their errors, the host simply cuts the caller off, hangs up and then spends the rest of the show making fun of ....'them crazy freepers' . Seems anyone who disagrees w/ the host is a " freeper " , or those who subscribe to The Free Republic. It's nothing but a childish out, a petty insult thrown at rivals when the host has nothing based in fact or logic with which he can respond.

Southeast Baghdad, at least, was happy to see our troops.

And we didn't just drive past them. First Lt. Clenn Frost, the platoon leader, took every opportunity to dismount and mingle with the people. Women brought their children out of their compound gates to say hello. A local sheik spontaneously invited us into his garden for colas and sesame biscuits.

Never would such a report be given during this show, save for being associated w/ some outlandish , unsupported spin job that we bought and paid for this tiny section of Baghdad , likely w/ Haliburton $$ that was given by Bush. They'll say anything and everything to dismiss the good news which can be found in Iraq.

All lies I tell you, there are 23 million people in Iraq and 22.9 million of them want the US out; these people don't want democracy and freedom, they are Arabs; aren't you listening to CNN and the geography professors in Colorado?

My son is on the ground wit the 506th. He sees the good the bad and the ugly. The Iraqi police are very well armed. Most times better than the army and our guys. They ar trying to protect their turf. Yes they are somewhat corrupt. But in a way that does not tollerate terrorists. Baghdad is an ugly place to be right now, but its not in a civil war yet.

Say a prayer for him and his unit daily. They are pretty much the only combat unit in east Baghdad. So anytime there is action, he is in it. That's a pretty tough row to hoe for an 18 yr old.

Say a prayer for him and his unit daily. They are pretty much the only combat unit in east Baghdad. So anytime there is action, he is in it. That's a pretty tough row to hoe for an 18 yr old.

223415[/snapback]

Done! And please pass on my family's gratitude to your son for what he is doing.

223415[/snapback]

Done! And please pass on my family's gratitude to your son for what he is doing.

223422[/snapback]

Couldn't have said it more concise and better myself Tiger in Spain. Same goes for me.

My son is on the ground wit the 506th. He sees the good the bad and the ugly. The Iraqi police are very well armed. Most times better than the army and our guys. They ar trying to protect their turf. Yes they are somewhat corrupt. But in a way that does not tollerate terrorists. Baghdad is an ugly place to be right now, but its not in a civil war yet.

223415[/snapback]

The 506th??? That's awesome! You should be damn proud (and I know you are). I'd give my left...uh....well, let's just say I'd really like to be in the 506th. That's the same regiment whose exploits were made into HBO's "Band of Brothers" movie. Damn fine unit. When I read last year that the entire regiment had been reactivated I dang near hit the roof. The 506th. Wow.

Send your son my best.

Currahee!

Kind of on topic:

I recently went on a European vacation for graduation where I visited Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, London, Amsterdam, Munich, and Rome. I quickly learned not to discuss politics at all. Virtually everyone we encountered mad it clear that they didn't care for America, and they absolutely detested Bush (many said he was more evil than Hitler). The few times that I would engage in discussion with these people (towards the beginning before I realized it was a lost cause and did nothing but create hostility) and I asked exactly why he was so bad, no one had an answer, besides vague generalities like "He is liar", "He kill the world", etc.

However, in a pub in Munich, as we were struggling to decipher the beer list (in German), we asked the people next to us for help. They spoke very broken English. They asked us where we were from, and we told them America (usually an unpopular answer, with the exception of London). He turned to his buddy and enthusiastically told him that we were Americans. He turned back to us and said "We Iraqis!" At this point I'm thinking "Oh, sh*t, this can't be good."

However, he continued to say "America Super!" :thumbsup::thumbsup: "America Shoo out Saddam! America the best!" He shook my hand and thanked me.

So two of the two Iraqis I have spoken to seem to be pretty appreciative.

Kind of on topic:

I recently went on a European vacation for graduation where I visited Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, London, Amsterdam, Munich, and Rome.  I quickly learned not to discuss politics at all.  Virtually everyone we encountered mad it clear that they didn't care for America, and they absolutely detested Bush (many said he was more evil than Hitler).  The few times that I would engage in discussion with these people (towards the beginning before I realized it was a lost cause and did nothing but create hostility) and I asked exactly why he was so bad, no one had an answer, besides vague generalities like "He is liar", "He kill the world", etc.

However, in a pub in Munich, as we were struggling to decipher the beer list (in German), we asked the people next to us for help.  They spoke very broken English.  They asked us where we were from, and we told them America (usually an unpopular answer, with the exception of London).  He turned to his buddy and enthusiastically told him that we were Americans.  He turned back to us and said "We Iraqis!"  At this point I'm thinking "Oh, sh*t, this can't be good."

However, he continued to say "America Super!"  :thumbsup:   :thumbsup: "America Shoo out Saddam!  America the best!"  He shook my hand and thanked me.

223466[/snapback]

Interesting. GF and I were in Madrid and Barcelona for an extended period last Summer and didn't come into contact with any anti American feelings. Maybe we were just lucky. We found the Spanish as a whole to be pretty indifferent and just wanted EVERYONE to stay away from them, including other Europeans.

Kind of on topic:

I recently went on a European vacation for graduation where I visited Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, London, Amsterdam, Munich, and Rome.  I quickly learned not to discuss politics at all.  Virtually everyone we encountered mad it clear that they didn't care for America, and they absolutely detested Bush (many said he was more evil than Hitler).  The few times that I would engage in discussion with these people (towards the beginning before I realized it was a lost cause and did nothing but create hostility) and I asked exactly why he was so bad, no one had an answer, besides vague generalities like "He is liar", "He kill the world", etc.

However, in a pub in Munich, as we were struggling to decipher the beer list (in German), we asked the people next to us for help.  They spoke very broken English.  They asked us where we were from, and we told them America (usually an unpopular answer, with the exception of London).  He turned to his buddy and enthusiastically told him that we were Americans.  He turned back to us and said "We Iraqis!"  At this point I'm thinking "Oh, sh*t, this can't be good."

However, he continued to say "America Super!"  :thumbsup:   :thumbsup: "America Shoo out Saddam!  America the best!"  He shook my hand and thanked me.

223466[/snapback]

Interesting. GF and I were in Madrid and Barcelona for an extended period last Summer and didn't come into contact with any anti American feelings. Maybe we were just lucky. We found the Spanish as a whole to be pretty indifferent and just wanted EVERYONE to stay away from them, including other Europeans.

223509[/snapback]

We definately ran into it in Madrid (the beginning of our trip) when two girls we were talking to at a bar brought it up, and we were foolish enough to try to have a civil debate about it.

And in Valencia I saw grafitti on a wall that read "Assasinate Bush."

Nothing comes to mind specifically about Barcelona. Probably because that was the place where we encountered more Americans than anywhere else we went.

Kind of on topic:

223466[/snapback]

223509[/snapback]

We definately ran into it in Madrid (the beginning of our trip) when two girls we were talking to at a bar brought it up, and we were foolish enough to try to have a civil debate about it.

And in Valencia I saw grafitti on a wall that read "Assasinate Bush."

Nothing comes to mind specifically about Barcelona. Probably because that was the place where we encountered more Americans than anywhere else we went.

223530[/snapback]

I always equated Madrid with being your typical "big city" and Barcelona having more of a laid back attitutde. All the small town we were in were great as well!

I always equated Madrid with being your typical "big city" and Barcelona having more of a laid back attitutde.  All the small town we were in were great as well!

223547[/snapback]

That's how a majority of Spaniards view Madrid as well. 90% of the country can't stand the place nor its inhabitants.

I always enjoyed wandering around Andalucia. The folk there were down to earth and very hospitable. They didn't care too much about politics, they just wanted to do their thing. One thing is for sure though, the Andalucians DO NOT like Moroccans!

I should note a fact that I forgot to mention.

The girls I spoke with in Madrid were actually from Brazil. They were tourists as well.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Good grief, he looks young. Of course, he is.

Thanks to your son. Many, many, many thanks. May he come home safely. Soon.

A fine looking young man. God bless him.

Great picture CCT! One of my very good friends recently finished his tour and rotated stateside. I will be praying for your sons safety and that he returns safely. Thank him for me.

Good grief, he looks young.  Of course, he is. 

Thanks to your son.  Many, many, many thanks.  May he come home safely.  Soon.

223858[/snapback]

Just turned 18 last Aug. 9th. Seeing things an 18 yr old ought not have to see. The 506th is one of the few "combat" units on the ground in East Baghdad. A lot of action. Not usually known as an extraordinarilly tough kid, but he has been trained to hold his own in battle. And so far he has. Got his courage under fire medal. Got an accomodation. And generally gets praises from his seargents.

We praise God for each day he is with us. We know he is being watched over. Last week he was on the Humvee manning the 240 and got thirsty. He reached down to get a water and an IED went off at the same moment. He had a concussion but was no worse off. Had he been up out of the humvee.....

Archived