Tim Tebow bill in Alabama

WarTiger

Don't get me wrong--I'm all for home-schooled kids having this opportunity and any other opportunities for such children to get valuable experiences in socialization with their peer group. Why stop with sports? What about band, debate teams, chess club, etc.? (Social education being the one area that always concerns me with home schooling).

But one thing that I never quite had explained clearly to me with Tim Tebow or others in his situation: Aren't there minimum academic progress/grade standards that public school kids have to satisfy to participate in athletics? I'm not sure how home schooled kids demonstrate the equivalent performance, grade-wise. Do they get regular (semester/term) grades as monitored by some accrediting agency or is their progress determined only by what their parent/home teacher says they've done? I can see lots of potential for lawsuits from failing public school students who say "Hey, I wasn't allowed to play football because I didn't have a "C" average (or whatever) last semester, but this home schooled kid gets to play with no academic record other than what his parents claim he did."

Just wondering--Can someone with more knowledge of the home-schoooing process please educate (or home school :D ) me?

wow he made an impact in people's lifes

228188[/snapback]

Hey, he's already had an impact on many Bammer lives--who had to swallow one more bitter pill of disappointment after nearly a decade of disappointment!

I don't see the problem. These people already pay the same taxes without any of the benefit. Maybe there should be a progress test given to all students every year after the 9th grade. At least that way we could see even better progress from all students. Goodness knows AL needs to catch up to the bottom.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I am torn on this one, having no strong feelings either way. But I do see rampant abuses possible if it is passed. Think that kids swap schools now, just wait until this is a viable option.

On a side note, the dramatic Tim Tebow reality show on ESPN this spring was neither dramatic nor reality.

Discuss.

Home schoolers have their academic progress tracked just like all public and private school students. Home schools actually operate sort of like a mini private school under the direction or 'covering' of a home school organization. Those organizations are usually sponsored by a church or non-profit alliance of some sort. Home schoolers report to the 'cover' and then that organization is responsible for recording and reporting academic progress to the State Department of Education.

JUST to play devil's advocate here. Aren't band, sports, debate and other activities considered 'extracirricular'? Why should someone that's not required to attend 'school' be allowed to take the place of a school's actual student? maybe let them play or participate if they can't fill a team or band or play with regular students?

in reality, I don't care in any way shape or form, just wanted to stir it up a bit.

I guess I'll be the one that says he hopes this bill fails. I don't get why they should be able to play, and like others have said, where does it stop? The way I see it is if you choose to home school, you have essentially chosen to go to a school that does not offer an athletic program. Why should people be allowed to basically say "Well, your school is not good enough for little Timmy. I don't want him to go there...but your football team, its fantastic! Let Timmy play football."

To me, it seems a lot like if someone were to go to school at Southern Union, then turn around and say that they want to play football for Auburn, since The Onion doesn't have a football team.

You can't have it all your way. If you think home schooling is better than a public school, then fine. Give your kid the benefit of a home school education. At the same time, you should be prepared to accept the downside, such as the lack of an athletic program.

Should we let home schoolers go the prom too?

:au::nanner::au:

Archived