Game of the Year (since 1981) - LONG

StatTiger

Remembering the Games

There have been some great games over the last twenty-five years involving Auburn football. This is the time of the year to reflect back on the past and to dream about future. With this in mind, I decided to pick the “game of the year” from the last twenty-five Auburn seasons (1981-2005).

1981: Auburn 19 LSU 7

Auburn defeated LSU 19-7, during Pat Dye’s first season on the Plains. It marked Dye’s first conference victory, ending a 5-game losing streak to the Bengal Tigers. Auburn rushed for 252 yards, while holding LSU to just 38 yards on the ground. Run offense and run defense would become the trademark of all of Pat Dye’s successful teams.

1982: Auburn 23 Alabama 22

This one is not even close, Auburn 23 Alabama 22. The victory ended a 9-game losing streak to the Crimson Tide and Bo over the top will forever be etched in the memory of the Auburn faithful. Jackson rushed for 114 yards and scored the game-winning touchdown.

1983: Auburn 13 Georgia 7

The victory over the Bulldogs ended Georgia’s three-year run as Southeastern Conference Champions. The Bulldogs entered the game as the 4th ranked team in the Country and the Tigers dominated the contest. Auburn gained 356 yards, while holding the Bulldog offense to just 168 yards. Bo Jackson rushed for 115 yards and Lionel James added 84 yards from the wishbone offense. Lionel James scored Auburn’s only touchdown and was rewarded with a shower of sugar cubes in the end zone.

1984: Auburn 42 Florida State 41

Brent Fullwood scored the game-winning touchdown with less than one minute left in the game, capping one of the wildest shootouts Auburn has ever been involved in. The 9th ranked Seminoles and the Tigers combined for 1065 offensive yards and 83 points.

1985: Auburn 59 Florida State 27

Auburn and the 4th ranked Seminoles were tied, 17-17 at halftime but the Tigers exploded with four 4th-quarter touchdowns to pull away from Florida State. Bo Jackson rushed for 176 of Auburn’s 413 yards and the Auburn defense intercepted four passes during the game. Only the 1996 Florida Gators have scored 50-points on the Seminoles since Auburn hung 59 on FSU in 1985.

1986: Alabama 21 Alabama 17

Auburn was able to overcome three Jeff Burger interceptions to defeat the 7th ranked Crimson Tide. Lawyer Tillman scored the game-winning touchdown on a reverse play; Scott Bolton was supposed to run. Brent Fullwood rushed for 145 yards and scored 2 touchdowns. The reverse play took some of the sting away from the heart breaking loss to Alabama the year before.

1987: Auburn 27 Georgia 11

One could argue that the 10-0 victory over Alabama was the game of the year but Georgia was the highest ranked opponent (8th) Auburn defeated during the 1987 season. Jeff Burger passed for 217 yards and two touchdowns in Athens. 1987 also marked the second time Auburn swept “A-Men” corner under Pat Dye.

1988: Auburn 15 Alabama 10

Auburn clinched the Southeastern Conference Championship with their victory over the 17th ranked Crimson Tide. It was another defensive classis as Auburn’s defense held Bama to just 12-yards rushing for the day. Reggie Slack passed for 220-yards and Stacy Danley had 97-yards rushing.

1989: Auburn 30 Alabama 20

Auburn already won the game before either team took to the field at Jordan-Hare. It marked the first “Iron Bowl” played at Auburn and the team responded with a 10-point victory over the undefeated and 2nd ranked Alabama squad. Reggie Slack passed for 274 yards and Stacy Danley racked up 130 yards on the ground. The victory also gave Auburn a claim to the SEC title for the third year in a row.

1990: Auburn 26 Tennessee 26

Stan White rallied the Tigers to a 26-26 tie over the 5th ranked Tennessee Volunteers at Jordan-Hare. White passed for 338 yards and 3 touchdowns as a red shirt freshman. The Tiger defense held one of Tennessee’s highest scoring offenses in school history to just 318 yards. Greg Taylor caught 8 passes for 109 yards and 2 touchdowns.

1991: Auburn 14 Texas 10

The Tigers slipped from being one of the premier programs in the country, so defeating the Texas Longhorns on the road was the highlight of the season. Auburn rushed for 184 yards, while holding Texas to just 79-yards. The Tiger defense forced five fumbles and picked off three Longhorn passes. Joe Frazier rushed for 83 yards on 22 carries.

1992: Auburn 30 LSU 28

Scott Etheridge was 5 of 6 field goals, kicking the game-winner with eight seconds left in the game. Auburn struggled on offense during the entire year but the defense was one of the best in the conference. LSU was held to 293-yards, fumbling the ball five times and throwing two picks.

1993: Auburn 38 Florida 35

On paper, it was a game Auburn had no business winning. The 4th ranked Gators torched the Auburn defense for 560 yards but Auburn made the plays when they were needed. Stan White passed for 267 yards and the key to victory was no turnovers. Auburn converted three Gator turnovers into 14-points and Ace Atkins will always be remembered for the 3 QB sacks he made as a walk-on defensive end. Scott Etheridge was called upon to make the game-winning field goal.

1994: Auburn 36 Florida 33

This has to be one of the biggest victories in school history. Florida was ranked #1 in the country and the Tigers were fortunate to have pulled off the upset at Jordan-Hare the year before. Auburn entered the game as an 18-point underdog despite being 6th ranked in the country. This time around, Auburn’s offense out gained Florida, 487 to 367 yards and the Tigers converted six Gator turnovers into 19-points. Pat Nix passed for 319 yards, with Thomas Bailey and Andy Fuller breaking the century mark. Stephen Davis picked up 113 yards rushing.

1995: Auburn 31 Alabama 27

Auburn defeated the 17th ranked Alabama Crimson Tide in a rare offensive shootout in the Iron Bowl. Patrick Nix passed for 259-yards and two touchdown passes. Freddie Kitchens of Alabama had a career game (302 yards) against the Tiger defense and came very close to throwing the game-winning touchdown late in the contest.

1996: Auburn 32 Army 29

Auburn lost to all of its major rivals in 1996 and the Bowl game victory over army, marked Auburn’s first bowl in five years. Dameyune Craig set the school record for total yards gained (445) by passing for 370 and rushing for 75 yards against Army. It was a preview of what Craig would mean to Auburn in 1997.

1997: Auburn 45 Georgia 34

After losing at home to Mississippi State (0-20), many wrote off Auburn to win the West in 1997. Auburn shocked the 7th ranked Georgia Bulldogs by putting on a rare balanced offensive show. Auburn rushed for 159-yards and 5 touchdowns to go along with Dameyune Craig’s 231-yards passing. Fred Beasley rushed for 62-yards from his fullback position, paving the way for Demontray Carter’s 93-yards rushing on just 14 carries. Karsten Bailey had 115 yards receiving on just four receptions.

1998: Auburn 10 Central Florida 6

The fact that Central Florida would be considered as the game of the year reveals just how low the program had fallen under Terry Bowden. However, before we throw too many stones, remember that Central Florida was 9-2 in 1998 and gave Nebraska a run for their money the year before in Lincoln. Central Florida also defeated Alabama in 2000, during their 3-8 season. Karsten Bailey caught the game-winning touchdown pass from Gabe Gross.

1999: Auburn 38 Georgia 21

Ben Leard posted a career game in Athens by throwing for 416-yards and 4 touchdown passes against the 16th ranked Georgia Bulldogs. The game was basically over with by halftime (31-0) and Ronney Daniels had a field day with 9 receptions for 249-yards and 2 touchdown receptions. Coach Tommy Tuberville lived up to his hype as the “riverboat gambler” by going for four 4th-down conversions in the first half.

2000: Auburn 29 Georgia 26

Relying on Rudi Johnson’s 152-yards rushing and a strong defensive performance, the Auburn Tigers defeated the 14th ranked Georgia Bulldogs. Auburn’s defense held the Dogs to just 219-yards in total offense. The Tigers struggled early on, trailing 13-3 at halftime. Hugh Nall made key adjustments on the offensive line and Rudi Johnson rolled up 127 of his 152 yards rushing in the second half.

2001: Auburn 23 Florida 20

One of if not the biggest victory during the Tommy Tuberville era. The Florida Gators came to Auburn as the #1 ranked team in the country with one of Spurrier’s best offenses during his 12-year run at Florida. The Tiger defense held the Gators to –36-yards rushing and intercepted Rex Grossman four times. Daniel Cob came off the bench to relieve a struggling Jason Campbell. Cobb made several critical throws and Damon Duval hit the game-winning field goal against a strong wind and rain.

2002: Auburn 17 Alabama 7

The Tigers took to the road to face the 7th ranked Crimson Tide without the services of Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown and starting fullback, Brandon Johnson. Jason Campbell passed for 2 touchdowns and Tre Smith rushed for 126-yards. The Tiger defense held the Alabama running game to just 111-yards, which was half of what they averaged in their 12 other games (222).

2003: Auburn 28 Tennessee 21

After starting the season 2-2 with consecutive losses to USC and Georgia Tech, the Tigers defeated the 7th ranked Tennessee Volunteers at Jordan-Hare. It was the first victory over Tennessee since 1988. Auburn rushed for 264-yards led by Carnell Williams 185-yards rushing and held the Volunteers to just 4-yards rushing. Jason Campbell also passed for 2 touchdowns and completed 61% of his 18 pass attempts.

2004: Auburn 38 Tennessee 28

Auburn won its first SEC title since the 12-team format began in 1992 and it’s first conference title since 1989. Led by Jason Campbell, the Tiger offense accumulated 559-yards to Tennessee’s 297-yards. Campbell threw for a Southeastern conference championship record, 374-yards, including three touchdown passes. Carnell Williams gained 100-yards rushing on 19 carries.

2005: Auburn 31 Georgia 30

Perhaps one of the most exciting games in the South’s oldest rivalry. Auburn gained 506 yards in total offense and would need every bit of it after Georgia gained 446-yards. Kenny Irons rushed for 179-yards and 2 touchdowns and Brandon Cox passed for 279-yards. Devin Aromashodu had a career high, 135-yards receiving, which included a crucial 4th-down play, late in the game.

:au::football::cheer:

Ahhhh, memories . . . . Great post! :D

My only comments:

1993 - Auburn - Florida was definitely a classic (I recall being - literally - bounced off my row in the student section as Calvin Jackson raced down the sidelines for a 95-yd INT return), but it's tough NOT to recognize the finale, Aub 22 UA 14. Nix-to-Sanders on 4th and 15 and Bostic's late 70 yd TD explosion rank as the #1 and #2 biggest AU plays I've witnessed live.

1994 - No argument that the win over UF was monumental, but I can't think about that year without recalling the most bizarre (and one of the most thrilling) games I ever attended - AU 30 LSU 26. Four defensive TDs (including 3 4th qtr INT returns) overcame a horrendous offensive performance. (As for memories, I recall not even seeing Brian Robinson cross the goal line with the winning TD - by the time he got there, I was trapped under a pile of about 15 screaming maniacs.)

2004 - As great as the SECG win was, for the best game of the year, gotta go with AU 10 LSU 9. Not only the most exciting game of the year, but the one that got the title train rolling . . .

All the best.

:au:

Excellent! :)

:au::homer:

Ahhhh, memories . . . .  Great post!  :D

My only comments:

1993 - Auburn - Florida was definitely a classic  (I recall being - literally - bounced off my row in the student section as Calvin Jackson raced down the sidelines for a 95-yd INT return), but it's tough NOT to recognize the finale, Aub 22 UA 14.  Nix-to-Sanders on 4th and 15 and Bostic's late 70 yd TD explosion rank as the #1 and #2 biggest AU plays I've witnessed live. 

1994 - No argument that the win over UF was monumental, but I can't think about that year without recalling the most bizarre (and one of the most thrilling) games I ever attended - AU 30 LSU 26.  Four defensive TDs (including 3 4th qtr INT returns) overcame a horrendous offensive performance.  (As for memories, I recall not even seeing Brian Robinson cross the goal line with the winning TD - by the time he got there, I was trapped under a pile of about 15 screaming maniacs.)

2004 - As great as the SECG win was, for the best game of the year, gotta go with AU 10 LSU 9.  Not only the most exciting game of the year, but the one that got the title train rolling . . .

All the best.

:au:

229903[/snapback]

The magnitude of Calvin Jackson's INT-TD return can not be over stated. If UF scores a TD on that drive, we're down 17-0 rather than 10-7. Talk about a najor 14-pt swing.

I still laugh when I see Ken Alvis return for a TD. His knee actually touches the ground before he ever crossed the goal line but I believe we would have scored from the 1.

Good point about the LSU game. It was a key victory indeed.

Gotta agree with y'all about LSU '04. Maybe I'm a little biased because it was a game I attended but wow, what a game! As long as I live, I'll always remember that day, Sept. 18th. "The Hurricane Game."

Ryan

I have been fortunate enough to be there for many of those games listed, and none of the others even come close to the 30-20 Iron Bowl in 1989.

I also think that the entire 1993 season was a little more special and tons more exciting as a whole than any other. It seemed more special knowing that you were one of only 85,000 that actually got to see the big plays. That Calvin Jackson interception, the Nix to Sanders touchdown pass and the Bostic long TD run were all sooooo much fun to watch.

If I may throw in my 2 cents on 2004, I also would pick LSU. No doubt the win in ATL was monumental, and when Tennessee tied it at 21 we were all a bit uneasy, but there wasn't as much sheer drama as in the LSU game. The plays that Carnell, Ronnie, Courtney, and of course Jason made on that last drive... well, that's the stuff of legends, plain and simple. I think the SEC title game was also overshadowed by the fact that USC and OU were undefeated, and we had to have an impressive showing if we even wanted to entertain hopes for a shot at the BCS. On the other hand, the LSU game was just two great defensive football teams slugging it out, pretty much knowing that even though it was early in the season, the winner would represent the West. We were playing the defending national champions, and when they marched down and scored right off the bat, I think we all thought "Oh Lord, here we go again..." But from that point on, it was one of the greatest defensive masterpieces, and in the end one of the most clutch offensive moments, that I've ever seen.

My only argument would be that the Iron Bowl in 1997 (18-17 Auburn) was bigger than the UGA game. Thanks to an upset win (Arkansas over Miss. State I believe) earlier that afternoon, the SEC West was ours with a win and State's with a loss.

We played well offensively, yet couldn't punch it in with a pathetic run offense, fell behind 17-9 before a TD made it 17-15 (dropped 2-pt conversion pass) and we all remember the final minute:

Franklin: "Kitchen's gonna fake, gonna throw to Scissum, loses the football, Auburn recovers it at the 42!!"

A huge pass to Hicks Poor on the boundary and Holmes' 300th field goal of the game won it for us 18-17.

As far as 2004 is concerned, I actually think Tennessee (the first game), and Georgia were the two biggest games.

Tennessee, we finally showed the nation that we had a great team, and could play anybody, anywhere and dominate the game.

With Georgia, in my mind, it was when Auburn finally stepped up to the plate and delivered when all eyes were on them. I mean it doesnt get much bigger than 3 vs. 5 and we took it to them. That was the game that people said, WHOA, this team is good.

Jason had a great day throwing the football, and I think the epitome of the season was on our first touchdown when he pitched it to Carnell. He was completely calm, and easily tossed the ball as Carnell walked into the endzone. It was just moment that sums up how cool and collected Jason was all year. Which imo was the key to our run.

And then on defense, Stanley's sack on David Greene and Junior's hit on Reggie Brown stick out in my mind as plays that could sum up the attitude of that defense.

Great post as always Stat.

I was at the Georgia, Tennessee, and LSU games in 2004. I enjoyed the first Tennessee game in Knoxville the most. My favorite memory was hearing the two UT fans next me conversing mid way through the 3rd quater:

UT fan 1: Hey it looks like Fulmer's got Schaeffer warmin' up on the sidelines.

UT fan 2: Well if he's serious 'bout winnin' this game he damn well oughtta have Jesus warmin' up on the sidelines.

The Georgia game was amazing because everyone in the world thought that our luck had run out and UGA was going to "expose" us. Instead we beat them like they stole something and Junior hit Reggie Brown so hard that people started prayin'.

With all that said though, the LSU game absolutely takes the cake. I honestly thought that I had an aneurism when Vaughn missed the first PAT. Then we got the second chance.....it was all just so surreal. I had never seen an Auburn team come together like that one did in the fourth quarter. So consider me one of those in polite objection to the 2004 selection. Mine looks like this, 1. LSU, 2. UT in Knoxville, 3. UGA, 4. SECCG. Just my $0.02

Man reading that brings back a lot of memories. I can’t argue with any of those choices but if I were to change one it would be Florida State 1990. The Tennessee game was great but I would have to go with a win over a tie. (Even though under the circumstances it felt like a win.)

To this day my 89 year old grandmother still talks about that Tennessee game. She sat between my brother and me. We were screaming and yelling the whole game. (I didn’t get my voice back for a few days.) UT was up 26-9 very early in the 4th quarter and she kept telling us “don’t worry, Auburn always comes back in the end.”

For the FSU game I had taken a friend of mine to the game who was a Clemson / Alabama fan. Pat Dye elected to kick the pat and tie it up at 17 late in the 4th quarter. My friend said he lost all respect for Dye for not going for two. I remembered what my grandmother had said a few weeks earlier and told him it wasn’t over yet. A Ricky Sutton sack, White to Casey on 4th down, and a Von Wyl field goal. 20-17!

*I still say that “Chunk a Chief “game shirt is one of the best ever.

So consider me one of those in polite objection to the 2004 selection.  Mine looks like this, 1. LSU, 2. UT in Knoxville, 3. UGA, 4. SECCG.  Just my $0.02

229968[/snapback]

Well, one argument for the SEC CG is that the end result of that game was Auburn's SEC Championship. It was the culmination of all those other games in regards to going 12-0 and that game is the only reason we won the SEC Title in 2004.

From my experiences at most of the games mentioned, the Florida game in 2001 has to be the loudest I have ever heard the stadium get. I could not hear my wife and friend yelling at the top of their lungs less than a foot from me. The concrete in the student section was shaking under our feet when the kick went through.

LSU and the SECCG in 2004 were great, but it was when we totally dominated Tennessee IN KNOXVILLE that I knew we were the real thing. That's when I was sure we had a real chance of going all the way.

Man reading that brings back a lot of memories.  I can’t argue with any of those choices but if I were to change one it would be Florida State 1990. 

For the FSU game I had taken a friend of mine to the game who was a Clemson / Alabama fan.  Pat Dye elected to kick the pat and tie it up at 17 late in the 4th quarter.  My friend said he lost all respect for Dye for not going for two.  I remembered what my grandmother had said a few weeks earlier and told him it wasn’t over yet.  A Ricky Sutton sack, White to Casey on 4th down, and a Von Wyl field goal.  20-17!

230050[/snapback]

I agree. I couldn't afford a VCR then, so I audio taped the game and listened to over and over. What a game.

LSU and the SECCG in 2004 were great, but it was when we totally dominated Tennessee IN KNOXVILLE that I knew we were the real thing.  That's when I was sure we had a real chance of going all the way.

230133[/snapback]

I was there too, and it was great! During that game I got the feeling that Auburn was just beating the Vols down and saying to the rest of the country, "Who is next?".

Archived