Why can't Auburn run a good screen pass?

rolltoomer

I realize that I didn't see every play of every game for the last 2-3 years, but it seems to me that every time we run a screen pass it either goes incomplete or loses yardage.

That's especially true against uat. Campbell couldn't complete them and neither could Cox.

As good as we have been offensively, you'd think we could pull them off. Sometimes I wonder why we even attempt them.

I realize that I didn't see every play of every game for the last 2-3 years, but it seems to me that every time we run a screen pass it either goes incomplete or loses yardage.

That's especially true against uat.  Campbell couldn't complete them and neither could Cox.

As good as we have been offensively, you'd think we could pull them off.  Sometimes I wonder why we even attempt them.

232862[/snapback]

I remember Ronnie Brown catching a screen and taking it like 40 yards in the Miss State Game.

It seems to me we are only calling them when it is an obvious screen pass situation, 3rd and long and afriad of a blitz; like we are outsmarting ourselves. I am sure StatTiger will come along with all of the details, i.e. the number of successful screen passes on 3rd and 15+, against UAT on the days when the temperature is between 55 and 60 F... ;)

Fla St. was the master of it in the late 80's and early 90's.I remember ,was it Peter Tom Willis, that use them to great success?I think our screens to Tre for the last two years have gained some good yardage as well as to Ronnie.I did HATE that swing pass it which it worked like a screen,but the pass was thrown clear across the field,which took forever to get there and by that time everybody's and their momma showed up.I think that came from the Mazzone playbook...never worked.

I recall in the UGA game, Irons caught one and ran like over 20 yards and it was 3rd and 17 or something like that. We run it well a lot, but when you face a team that has a sound defense, like UAT, that has speed and stays in their spot - it's nearly impossible to get past it. I think we run it well.

Ummm.... we run it all the frickin' time.  We do well with it. 

what a useless post.

232930[/snapback]

Would like some specifics.

Game.

When.

Results.

I emphasized vs. uat. Can give you bad examples in '04 & '05.

we're a pretty solid screen team actually. we couldn't run the swing pass (as someone pointed out, correctly), but that's a completely different play. carnell williams against uga in 2001, 70 yards to set up the last score. ronnie brown against msu in 2004, 40+ on the opening drive. those are just two HUGE examples off the top of my head, but i know we ran it with some success to tre in the past, to ronnie other times. i remember seeing brad lester do some damage with the screen ball.

if you're talking about the actual screen pass: line releasing blocks, running back between the hash and the numbers, the screen. we do that as well as anyone in the sec.

Archived