Toughest Place to Play in SEC.

DKW 86

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=100807

Toughest places to play in the SEC

June 16, 2006

Amazing what one line in a yearbook will do. In our SEC preseason yearbook, I said Auburn was the toughest place to play in the SEC. And holy mother of pecan pie, I've been inundated with emails from the good people in the south (I'm a charter member) about what an idiot I am for making such a ridiculous statement.

So for the next few weeks, I'll rank the toughest places to play by conference, and finish with an overall top 10. And to the lovely lady in Cannon Beach, Ore., who said I was an "uninformed Yankee with his head up his arse," I'm sure the folks in the SEC office will be happy to hear their reach extends all the way to the great Northwest.

And on that note, we'll begin with the SEC.

1. Auburn: This goes hand in hand with winning. Jordan-Hare Stadium has always been loud and intimidating. But when Aubie is winning, it's like going into the Bose store in the mall, sitting in the theatre room and cranking it on 10.

2. Florida: Ben Hill Griffin Stadium should be No.1, but there's still wake from the Zook years. And really, what team of any significance did Florida beat at home last season? Call me when LSU goes down this fall.

3. Georgia: The best program in the SEC, the best facility in the league. The whole atmosphere, though, is almost too pretty.

4. LSU: I love the place. Probably my favorite stadium in the country. But there's no bigger myth than the aura of Saturday Night at Tiger Stadium. It's a fantastic atmosphere and all, but that's it. Anyone who looses to UAB at home (2001) can't call the joint intimidating.

5. Alabama: The size and shape of Bryant-Denny translates to a ton of noise and intimidation. Problem is, it happens once every two years. Or whenever Florida comes to town.

6. Arkansas: Underrated facility with wacko crazy fans. When the Hogs are winning, it's as tough an environment as any in the league. Do I really need to finish the remainder of the statement?

7. South Carolina: Best fans in the league. Ever-lasting, never-wavering support packed into a loud facility. Check back in two years when the Gamecocks win their first SEC championship.

8. Tennessee: As far as facilities, there are few better. The crowd and intimidation factor? Eh.

9. Mississippi State: Remember when State was good in the late 1990s and opposing teams were complaining about cow bells? Cow bells. I think maybe, just maybe, those complaints were more about the run of physical, aggressive teams the Bullies once had -- and haven't had since.

10. Mississippi: Considering where the facility used to be (hint: high school stadium) and where it is now after renovations (see: jewel), this isn't a bad spot on the list.

11. Kentucky: Hal Mumme's lasting gift (other than setting the program back a decade because of NCAA infractions): a beautiful stadium. That's now half full.

12. Vanderbilt: Texas High School stadiums put this place to shame

I bet LSU fans will be up and arms about this. All you hear about is how tough it is to play there, but like the writer said, UAB proved that was an overrated boast. I want to see if any UAT fans get upset about it, because of they do, I will laugh so hard I will crap myself. Bryant Denny Stadium is far from intimidating because UAT loses way too many home games there. When your rival owns you at home, you can't say a thing. I agree that the Swamp is one of the top two toughest places to play.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment. I would've ranked you guys first as well.

However, I don't think we'll stay at #5 for long with our new addition.

What is the love affair with Georgia's stadium? I have been there twice, and while I thought it was nice, I didn't fall head over heals in love with the place. Also, there campus was allright, but again, I didn't fall head over heals in love. I thought the noise level could have been better for such a large stadium. Just my two cents. As much as it pains me to say it, Alabama's campus is very nice.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment. I would've ranked you guys first as well.

241362[/snapback]

Good luck getting the old folks off their butts to make noise. I have never been impressed by Bryant-Denny's noise level, except for the Florida game.

241362[/snapback]

Good luck getting the old folks off their butts to make noise. I have never been impressed by Bryant-Denny's noise level, except for the Florida game.

241442[/snapback]

BDS has always been a funeral parlor. The renovations -- while fairly impressive seeing as the stadium always reminded me of one of those crappy cookie cutter deals like the old Fulton County Stadium -- won't make a whit of difference. They've lied about attendance for years and will lie more after the renovations are done, but adding another couple of thousand drunken zombies won't change a thing.

That's the one thing I associate with BDS -- drunks. All stadiums have a few. At UA it's like a requirement. I once worked the concession stand there for a Southern Miss game as a fundraiser for my daughter's school. 2/3 of the people who came to the window wanted just ice or half a cup. Plus, they were ugly and obnoxious.

IMO, LSU would edge out UF as toughest placde to play. Mainly because both of those stadiums, the stands are so close to the team benches. The fans are just about on top of the opposing teams backs. That JHS is in the top 5 is a fantastic tribute to the AU fans.

WDE! :au:

Having never been to a live game at any stadium, I can honestly say I have no idea what it would be like. With the new renovations at BDS, I think that might get fans excited. Of course, with the weak OOC Schedule, I don't think very much noise will echo throughout the stadium this season. As far as drinking requirements go, I don't know about BDS, the concensus seems to be, among Bama and MSU fans anyway, that LSU has the stadium that requires you to be drunk 4 hours before entering the stadium.

South Carolina's fans are the most over-rated fans if not the most over-rated thing in college football history

They are nowhere near as "great" as they are made out to be, imo.

it's ok, when alabama goes to the swamp they will know what it is like to be loud and then they will know how it feels to be badgered after the game when florida brings them back down from their cloud.

it's ok, when alabama goes to the swamp they will know what it is like to be loud and then they will know how it feels to be badgered after the game when florida brings them back down from their cloud.

241458[/snapback]

OK...the SWAMP IS OVERRATED!!!!!!!!! What a HOLE!!!! Been there, done that...not exciting...the 15,000 AU fans outyelled the UF fans!

See: SWAMP=OVERRATED!!!!!!!!!!!!...in your dictionary.

Now I hope that we don't have to have this discussion again!!! B)

:au::homer:

did y'all see this comment from LSUSMCR?

Auburn, I can say nothing about. About 20 years ago, some of my fellow LSU alumni went to the LSU-Auburn game and after LSU won, my buddies ran their mouths so much the Auburn fans tipped over their RV with them in it. Hard to top that.

Back when I was a :ua: fan, I always was astounded by how quiet the fans are. Now I note that most Tide fans are far older than the :sec: average. They just do not get upo and make noise. They frown on getting too rowdy.

Give me :lsu: , :uf: , :usc: , or :au: anyday.

Back when I was a :ua: fan

Woah, Woah

What?

:huh:

I didn't know this....your parents Bama fans or something?

241491[/snapback]

My family are Red Elephants and boosters from about 1971 on. ;)

God has a sense of humor. I got a NROTC Schollie to :au:

When I was really young.. I remember getting an Alabama football suit for Christmas from someone (cant remember who)... God I hated that thing. That is as close to being an Alabama fan as I have been. I broke that helmet pretty quick.

The Swamp is deafeningly loud!  I don't know what the hell your talking about SKCAUB.

241468[/snapback]

The Swamp IS loud, and a nice enough facility, but Gainesville is such a crap-hole town - mostly due to the largely (in my experience) degenerate student body and ornier than ornery (sp?) UF fans that populate it - it taints the entire experience. I'm convinced there's a special circle of hell reserved for UF and UT fans . . . (Speaking of which, looks like size isn't everything, eh Smokie??? Number eight??? OUCH. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: )

Although I agree with the writer that LSU's home record isn't the greatest, there's no doubt that - at least on Saturday nights when the team is right - Tiger Stadium is the loudest stadium anywhere. No matter that the rickety old place is about to fall down (or was the last time I was there), but I digress . . .

On the whole, looking at things today, I put AU and UGA at the top - best overall combination of aesthetics (campus, stadium and "scenery"), rowdiness (although I hearken back to the not-so-distant Ray Goff / Jim Donnan days when the fratties and sorors would sooner have been caught wearing K Mart clothes than entering Sanford Stadium prior to kickoff) and success.

The Swamp is deafeningly loud!  I don't know what the hell your talking about SKCAUB.

241468[/snapback]

That's funny...I could hear a pin drop from the UF folks...and my brother will back me up on this...Vandy was louder. Of course Vandy was full of orange clad fans...but that's beside the point. The Swamp is...I mean I just don't get this love afair with that dingy, dirty, library-like place.... Sorry...that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. What a disappointment, after all I'd heard. It's a tomb, and it's a dump....

:au::homer:

I was always pretty impressed with Sanford Stadium (UGA), I would list it right behing J-H.

The only downfall is if UGA gets behind by a few, like they did the last AU vs UGA game I attended, the place clears out kind of quick.

When I was really young.. I remember getting an Alabama football suit for Christmas from someone (cant remember who)... God I hated that thing. That is as close to being an Alabama fan as I have been. I broke that helmet pretty quick.

241506[/snapback]

My mother-in-law gave our baby daughter an Alabama jumpsuit when she was first born. I burned it in the BBQ grill in front of her. That ended any further attempts to pollute my children.

Archived