New state law may decrease BDS attendance

GalensGhost

New state law requires restraints for children 14, younger

Sunday, June 25, 2006

DAVID WHITE

News staff writer

MONTGOMERY - Children 14 and younger must be restrained by children's car seats, booster seats or seat belts when riding in cars and other motor vehicles, under a state law that takes effect Saturday.

Drivers of cars, pickups, SUVs and small vans traveling on roads, streets and highways could face fines, and even suspension of their drivers licenses, if they ignore the law.

The law will require children riding in motor vehicles to sit in children's car seats or booster seats until they are 6 years old, two years longer than now required.

The law also will require children 6 through 14 to wear seat belts no matter where they sit in a vehicle, including a back seat. They will be prohibited from riding in the bed of a pickup truck traveling on a road, street or highway.

University of Alabama athletic director Mal Moore reacted angrily to the new regulations.

"It's a conspiracy by all them barners in the legislature," Moore said. "They know most of our fans brings their children to the games. We can't exactly ask ever body who comes to the games to buy cars and stuff. Heck, ridin' in the back of the truck was good enough for me and my own kids. This is going to cost us a bunch of money in lost hot dog and half-cup of coke money.

"I know what it is," Moore continued. "Them dang barners is just jealous because we beat them most every year and cause we win the SEC championships just about ever year."

When reminded that Alabama hasn't won a football title of any kind since 1999 and that Auburn currently owned a four-game winning streak over his Tide, Moore seemed taken aback.

"What year is it?" he snapped. "Ain't it still 1975? Don't try to tell me what's up. I know what's up. We done been the premier program in the SEC since forever and that ain't likely to change. If you think different, you're a BARNER!"

The remainder of Moore's comments were unintelligible.

Current law requires seatbelt use by older children and adults only in the front seat of a vehicle.

Doctors who lobbied for the law predict it will save children's lives and reduce injuries, and be well worth any extra cost or inconvenience to parents.

"This is a good step in the right direction," said Carden Johnston, an emergency room doctor at Children's Hospital in Birmingham and a past president of the American Academy of Pediatrics.

"I think it does show that the Legislature is concerned about children's safety," Johnston said. "It's not easy for a legislator to pass a law during an election year to ask parents to do something that costs money and is inconvenient. But it's good for the kids' lives."

State lawmakers passed the tougher child-restraint law in April, and Gov. Bob Riley signed it into law.

Archived