Bailey Woods to AU

DKW 86

http://www.ajc.com/gatech/content/sports/g...EPORT0713a.html

Woods runs different route

By MICHAEL CARVELL

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/12/06

When Walton High School tight end Bailey Woods committed to Auburn a few months ago, he gave up the opportunity to make history at Georgia Tech.

Woods' father and grandfather both played football at Georgia Tech, and Bailey could've been the program's second third-generation player, following in the footsteps of the Rhino family.

Woods, who dreamed about playing for Tech when he attended games as a child, didn't feel the same way in his older years: He visited his older sister, who graduated from Tech, and decided the campus wasn't a good fit for him.

He committed to Auburn over offers from Tech, UCLA and Ole Miss, among others. Woods said his father, who remains an avid fan of the Yellow Jackets, was accepting of his decision.

"[My dad] wasn't upset," Woods said. "All along, my parents said it was my decision to make. And after I picked Auburn, my dad told me if I didn't pick Tech, then Auburn was the place he wanted me to go."

Oddly enough, Walton was at Tech's team camp Tuesday. Watching was Jim Woods, Bailey's father, who played center at the ACC school from 1974-76. The elder Woods chatted for about 10 minutes Tuesday with Tech coach Chan Gailey about the Jackets' season opener against Notre Dame, not his son's recruiting decision.

"The people at Tech have been great ... obviously they are disappointed he's not coming there, but they wish him well," Jim Woods said. "From a selfish view of a parent, it would've been great to see Bailey play at Tech.

"But fortunately, my wife and I were able to keep things in proper perspective and allow Bailey to make his own decision."

Archived