Actual NYT article

vatz22au

I'm sad to say this but, regardless if this story has Any Weight to it...........It's still giving My Beloved Auburn University a pretty big Black Eye....make that Two. As to who is Fannin' the Fire? The Media. It seemed to me that they made too many references to the 13-0 '04 season and that Auburn was 2nd in the Polls, to this not being anything more than the Media wanting to Justify their leaving Auburn out of the National Championship Game, which by the way we Should've been in. Because we had 18 players taking the directed reading classes that was on that '04 Squad. That's just my $.02..........I'm just a bit disappointed, The Auburn Big Wigs BETTER Get This Straightened Out........NOW. And, not let it keep going on, if it's a Violation.......Which I seriously doubt that it is, because if it is, than nearly Every Major University will be scampering to halt their Exact Same process........Even the backwooded West Vance University.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sad to say this but, regardless if this story has Any Weight to it...........It's still giving My Beloved Auburn University a pretty big Black Eye....make that Two.  As to who is Fannin' the Fire?  The Media.  It seemed to me that they made too many references to the 13-0 '04 season and that Auburn was 2nd in the Polls, to this not being anything more than the Media wanting to Justify their leaving Auburn out of the National Championship Game, which by the way we Should've been in.  Because we had 18 players taking the directed reading classes that was on that '04 Squad.  That's just my $.02..........I'm just a bit disappointed, The Auburn Big Wigs BETTER Get This Straightened Out........NOW.  And, not let it keep going on, if it's a Violation.......Which I seriously doubt that it is, because if it is, than nearly Every Major University will be scampering to halt their Exact Same process........Even the backwooded West Vance University.

247684[/snapback]

I agree D it is a black eye even if it blows over it just brings more negative press to Auburn with comments such as most penalized team in the sec and talking about JB not being able to read its just a horrible! Prowler and I both played college football at a little school in Western Alabama and there were several classes that our coaches taught that we signed up for and never went to one class and still got an A so this is not a new thing but if it happens at a little school like i went to then it happens everywhere. I also like Galen's Ballroom dancin post

In my opinion, AU has some serious problems, some academic, some athletic. 

JMO... which i'm sure means jack sh** around here...

247681[/snapback]

Based on the comment above, I think jack sh** might be giving yourself too much credit.

And your point here would be what? What a great smear piece this was?

247681[/snapback]

Based on the comment above, I think jack sh** might be giving yourself too much credit.

247688[/snapback]

just another example of why i have your posts blocked... too bad it doesn't block them when someone else quotes them huh.... :no:<_<

247681[/snapback]

247688[/snapback]

just another example of why i have your posts blocked... too bad it doesn't block them when someone else quotes them huh.... :no:<_<

247695[/snapback]

You aren't very smart, are you? No one quoted that post. In order to have seen it to begin with, you had to have seen it yourself. <_<

Take off any time you like. Don't let the doorknob hit you. You don't have to stick around on my account.

why would Professor Gundlach not go to Edward Richardson, Auburn’s interim president to handle this situation ?

When u have a problem in the family do u call up a national paper ?

i didnt take the trash out last night and now the wife is pissed and so i hope she doesnt call USA today to cover the story.

when u have problems in house u try to handle them in house.

Edward Richardson, Professor Gundlach, Professor Petee’s, Tommy Tuberville should had a meeting and talked about the findings before u run to your national paper.

why would Professor Gundlach not go to Edward Richardson, Auburn’s interim president to handle this situation ?

When u have a problem in the family do u call up a national paper ?

i didnt take the trash out last night and now the wife is pissed and so i hope she doesnt call USA today to cover the story. 

when u have problems in house u try to handle them in house.

Edward Richardson, Professor Gundlach, Professor Petee’s, Tommy Tuberville should had a meeting and talked about the findings before u run to your national paper.

247698[/snapback]

It wasnt meant to be in house. This was a Prof. with junk story giving it out to folks that made a major smear piece out of it.

And your point here would be what? What a great smear piece this was?

247694[/snapback]

Actually, I thought these article where more kind

Hmm, if you read the version of this on al.com it says Gundlach is retiring this year.

Have to admit that does make me wonder if there is more to it. It's possible the guy just wanted to go out with a bang.

turd wrangler

Thats funny!

But you are right. No offense to sociology majors out there...but wherever there is a University offering sociology as a major...there will always be an ENTIRE major of crutch classes. Its at every university...why single out AU?

247505[/snapback]

The easy answer bg is that someone has an agenda. Let's let this thing play out and see where the chips fall.

Thankfully, there are no charges of illegal activity. If the rules are broken, fix 'em.

You guys have GOT to be kidding me if you think Tuscaloosa news told NYT would tell the NYT what to write.

Isnt it just perfect...the first hint of trouble and you guys dont look at the problem or how to fix it...you blame bama for it. After 5 years of dogging us for feeling cheated by UT. It takes 37 seconds and you guys instantly blame bama.

UA didnt create your sociology dept. Blame them. But at least this way you get to keep that AU double standard going.

I guess the SACS issues were part of a big Bama conspiracy too huh?

Hey I'll bet Montae Pitts and Kevin Sears were TRICKED into getting drunk by some bama fan.

Trey Blackmon didnt get in trouble...it was just a bama media story.

You know what...I dont think AU lost to Wisconsin...i think Bama pulled their media strings and got all the news outlets to show a staged game that never really happened.

247520[/snapback]

bg, YOU need to remember that you are a guest here and at least make an attempt to hide your glee.

If this is all you uaters have got, I really pity YOU. :lol:

bg, YOU need to remember that you are a guest here and at least make an attempt to hide your glee.

If this is all you uaters have got, I really pity YOU. 

Im not a guest here anymore than you are.

One thing a few of you guys havent touched on is the story about the player getting to take the class 10 weeks into the season where he had to read one book. Thats one thing that really stuck out to me. Easy classes is one thing...but ive never heard of someone getting to enroll in a class 10 weeks in.

I think you will find that you are mistaken.

Why is talking about PetrinoGate? What does that have to do with Academics or even the NCAA?

247646[/snapback]

That stuck out to me as well. I am sick of every preseason overview reminding everyone that three years ago there was this clandestine flight to a hanger in Cincinnati, etc. Then this article brings it up. It sticks out like a hotdog on a hamburger bun. The story of Jeff Burger would have been more appropriate, but that wouldn't be a poke in the eye quite the same.

One thing a few of you guys havent touched on is the story about the player getting to take the class 10 weeks into the season where he had to read one book. Thats one thing that really stuck out to me. Easy classes is one thing...but ive never heard of someone getting to enroll in a class 10 weeks in.

247736[/snapback]

That's about the only thing I've seen that illustrates favoritism towards athletes. The rest is just a smear attempt.

I for one, was never enrolled in a class after the first few weeks. Then again, I am an engineer. This is frickin' SOCIOLOGY. I can see a prof allowing someone in mid-semester in sociology.

What does all of this have to do with a player getting caught with illegal drugs and a stolen handgun?

247736[/snapback]

I know of one incident that this happened, and it was another school. Friends girlfriend was slated to graduate that semester and midway through the advisors realized that they had made a error. She actually dropped the course she needed, because they said she didn't need it. She already had a job lined up and living arrangements made in the city she was going to. They got her into some online independent study thing to get the 3 hours that she needed to graduate.

I know of one incident that this happened, and it was another school.  Friends girlfriend was slated to graduate that semester and midway through the advisors realized that they had made a error. She actually dropped the course she needed, because they said she didn't need it. She already had a job lined up and living arrangements made in the city she was going to.  They got her into some online independent study thing to get the 3 hours that she needed to graduate.

247769[/snapback]

It happens everywhere, in this case it helped a player maintain eligibility. In other cases it helps people graduate and get a job. I don't know why people act all surprised and uppity about it. Independent Study is a fact in college these days.

247736[/snapback]

My sister went to Clemson. She found out in the middle of what was to be her last semester that her advisor had miscalculated somewhere down the line and she was going to fall one credit short of being able to walk. She found a sympathetic dean and got a similar solution.

It happens.

I know of one incident that this happened, and it was another school.  Friends girlfriend was slated to graduate that semester and midway through the advisors realized that they had made a error. She actually dropped the course she needed, because they said she didn't need it. She already had a job lined up and living arrangements made in the city she was going to.  They got her into some online independent study thing to get the 3 hours that she needed to graduate.

247769[/snapback]

It happens everywhere, in this case it helped a player maintain eligibility. In other cases it helps people graduate and get a job. I don't know why people act all surprised and uppity about it. Independent Study is a fact in college these days.

247775[/snapback]

I did the same with a lady last year that had a shift change at work. I had the last class in CS. She didnt come in until almost the drop date. We handled it. She didnt get the grade everyone else did but she completed the work assigned. It took herself and I about 4 weeks to get her caught up. The college also left it to me discretion whether I would take her into my class.

I was a Criminology major at AU and remember some of the professors mentioned in the article. Criminology and Sociology are not as difficult as Engineering or Vet School, but you still have to go to class and study. I took some very difficult courses during my time at AU. Criminlogy is not a joke major. There were several athletes in my major, but I saw them in class often. Guys who were very well-known showed up to class on a regular basis so I can't say with certainty that anything unethical was going on. The article in the Times does make AU look bad though. I wonder what interest the NY Times has in Auburn University? I thought folks in the northeast gave two rats asses about anything southern so why a four page article about an incident that lies in the huge grey area of questionable practices? Regardless of whether other schools do it as well, I would like to see Auburn University strive ot be a cut above the rest. I hope the matter is resolved and the university strives for nothing but academic excellence from here on out.

This whole Auburn scandal is making tears fall down my corndog.  Would AU have to give back their People's National Championship Trophy?  :poke:   I keed!  I keed!

247776[/snapback]

Considering that my sister tutored athletes at Oklahoma State, do you really wanna go into Miles and academic's?

Or perhaps we could handle it the LSU way and shell out 6 digit figures in settlement.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2163579

ESPN's Cold Pizza also broke the story this morning, and Woody and Skip basically did what everyone was expecting. Skip said that it happens everywhere and that the NCAA had no case. Woody, my favorite delusional sports writer, said that players took easy classes and so what he did too in college.

Archived