Bama and UAB DR/IS Courses

DKW 86

Pokemon Class a UAB

News Archive

Monday, December 20, 1999

University Pokémon Classes in Birmingham

[scoots - Pokemon Village ]

Now you can go to college to learn more about Pokémon! Karol Miller, a junior at the University of Alabama-Birmingham has started a Pokémon class to teach young master trainers as part of the university's "Special Studies Division". The idea came to her after being constantly asked about Pokémon rules and strategy, by customers at the comic book store where she works.

DR/IS Classes at Bama

Just in case anybody thought Auburn was the only school with directed reading or independent research classes available to students...a little search on the UA website proves otherwise. This isn't a comprehensive list either. I just copied the first few I came across.

FR 380 Special Topics. One, two, or three hours.

Prerequisite: FR 341 or FR 351 or FR 361.

Directed reading or research. May be repeated for credit. Offered according to demand.

CHS 620 Independent Study in Preventive/Community Medicine. One to three hours.

Research or directed reading in community medicine topics, including health care delivery, preventive medicine, and health policy aspects of other related topics.

What is a Directed Study (EN 329) or a Directed Reading (EN 429)? EN 329 and 429 are individual projects designed jointly by a student and a professor. Their purpose is to address legitimate interests of the student which are not covered by the Department's regular course offerings. For example, a student might wish to study a particular literary figure or movement in depth. See the Director of English Undergraduate Studies in 103 Morgan to apply.

WS 500: Directed Reading: “Contemporary Transgender Theory” (Fall 2005)  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

405. DIRECTED STUDY: One to Three hours. Prerequisite: Sponsorship of a faculty member. Return to top of page Name your topic here....

406. DIRECTED STUDY: An independent study or directed reading opportunity for the exploration of a particular problem or topic related to America culture and experience. Return to top of page

My favorite is the Women's Studies Transgender class...

You can also make up your own degree at Alabama, no I'm not kidding.

247847[/snapback]

They got rid of new college a couple of years ago.

You can also make up your own degree at Alabama, no I'm not kidding.

247847[/snapback]

They got rid of new college a couple of years ago.

247855[/snapback]

WHAT the hey???

What are you talking about BG? This was for real?????

Please bg, do tell.

WHAT the hey???

What are you talking about BG? This was for real?????

Yeah, Alabama had a thing called "New College" where you could sit down with an advisor and map out your own degree program. You had to cover the core courses of a basic... say business or bach of science degree. But on top of that you could add your own directed program as long as it got approved.

At the end youd have basically a Bachelor Of Science degree. The program wasnt very popular and it didnt get a lot of support from the university so they dropped it.

I took a class at UAB that gave me my science and lab credits called "Space Exploration" and all i had to do was watch 3 films and write a paper..never went to class...these are at every university...so I'm not exaclty sure why ppl are acting like this is an AU thing....

Chalk up UNA as a guilty part too. I took an IS course my senior year because I dropped German after the first two weeks. My advisor let me sign up for a three hour IS history class. I was to read 3 books and write a 5 page paper for each book in order to get three hours. My topic was Ronald Reagan and I only read two books and wrote only two papers. Four days before I graduated the secretary of our ROTC department went into a fit because I hadn't passed the course and wasn't going to graduate. I only wrote two papers because I only needed two hours to graduate. To make a long story short my advisor "hooked me up" and turned my IS into a two hour course, gave me a B and allowed me to graduate.

This whole "scandal" will blow over in a matter of days when the press finds something else to talk about and then we can go back to our normally scheduled program: crushing the competition.

Archived