Croyle: My IS Course Easier than Dancing...

DKW 86

You guys missed the point entirely.

The key question was this: 'Was this class available to EVERY student at :ua: ?" If it was not then it violates NCAA criteria.  :big:

Wonder if PF or Peter Thamel will run to Turdtown to write another NYT Front page article?

Dont hold your breath.

Let me see, 6 hours for a 5 page report. You have the title page, and bibliography, so we actually got 6 hours for 3 typewritten pages, probably in double space format.

That equates to a degree (120 hours) at :ua: for every 100 typewritten pages. At that rate, I, with my Masters, would likely have dual PhDs had I gone to :ua::big:

248446[/snapback]

No degree from Bama is worth as much as my master's...

Freebody might take you up on that offer though...I hear he's in need of a master's degree. :roflol::big:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway, I had hoped PT would respond to me rather quickly. That is the only reason I really made my post. Well, that and I was a tab upset about being dragged into something that I had no part of in the first place. Being an admin on RTB.com yeah it bothers me when my name is brought up in a negitive way because I feel like that reflects directly on my site. So when need be I will go on the offensive and demand an answer to the allegations leveled against me.

Having said all that, I want to repeat this; I have not commented on this issue. I simply don't have the knowledge on it to offer up a commentary. A lot of what I have seen so far has been rumor and hearsay. So I have no idea why my name was dragged into it in the first place. I can only suspect that a certain AU fan took what was a very courtious relationship between him and I for granted and decided to score some points with the home boys. That's fine. It happens. Maybe PT thought that it wouldn't get back to me? Maybe he was simply mistaken? Maybe he just decided that since he was on his own forum he'd go with it regardless? I don't know? Anyway, what's done is done.

A couple of things since this will be my last post on the forum. (1) Vats, thanks. 'preciate it man. (2) As I have stated before....I have no idea why I have been dragged into this? Anyone that has issue with my posts regarding AU and their academic issues need only visit RTB.com and pull up my posts. Anyone here can do it. (3) Lastly, I was going to tell PT that he could always email me or come over to RTB.com and discuss this issue but I think that we're way past that now. It would be pointless. I'll just file this one away for future reference.

As I have stated before....I have no idea why I have been dragged into this?

248536[/snapback]

Maybe none of my business, but you can't be "dragged" into something you do voluntarily.

Who took control of this guy's fingers and forced him to type the URL into his browser? Was it you vat? :P

Rivals-Schmivals.

Back to THE POINT. If this class is not available to every student at :ua: . then what we have here is a clear, no problem, NCAA violation.

Folks, forget Keys for a second, forget NYT, forget etc.

If this story is true, Auburn's NYT "scandal" will be forgotten by Monday PM. Now if we can get Finebaum to stop criticizing everything and everyone connected to Auburn for a second, we may get THE REAL big story.

BTW, Thamel declared on the PFS that "I have no axe to grind with Auburn, If someone else gives me info on another school or team like this, I will certainly write about them as well." (paraphrased)

Well, Mr Thamel, consider yourself informed. I will happily await my prediction that you are totally full of it and will never even think about writing about Alabama because, you see Sir, I never once thought of this as anything other than "Smear Auburn" piece for the NYT. It was likely planted, watered, and fertilized by your friend (WSJ) and the Tuscaloosa News (CH & DW). But you and the NYT cetainly grew it to bear fruit.

Here's hoping it will be a very bitter harvest... :moon:

Well Thamel needs to look at the Pscyh department at UA then also, cause students statements indicate they got one prof that does favors for athletes.

A 5 page paper for 6 hours credit is just insane.

Sorry to drag this back to the top guys, just want to put my little 2 cents in for whats its worth.

This is the way I see it.... Whether Bama, Auburn or JP Tech.

If you have worked hard and earned your degree before the season is over IE: (Brodie and the 14 other Bama players and I am sure as also applies to a number of Auburn players mentioned in all this mess,.) THEN YOU SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO TAKE THESE TYPES OF CLASSES. Why?

1. You have ALREADY graduated ; Congrats.

2. You should not have to take the chance of lowering your GPA just because you want to go to a bowl game or finish the season.

3. IF ALL ABOVE APPLIES (IE Brodie and the 14) then sure, one or two "easy" (There is probably a better word here) courses should be made available to athletes. WHAT!? YOU ASK?!!!! Hey, you put in double duty. Football Practice, Games, Injuries, weight room, game study, Spring Drills ECT ECT ECT. I have no problem with a guy (Or girl) who does all that.... Gets his degree (Or TWO) and still wants to finish out the last 3 or 4 weeks of the season. My hat is off to you... Here add basket weaving to your (and here is the key word ) ALREADY BESTOWED AND EARNED DEGREE.

What difference is it going to make, some of you are twisting the facts. This DOES NOT mean you can get a degree or two or three by doing this. So what if it is available to only athletes, lots of benefits come with putting out the hard work of being a student athlete. If you have graduated then no problem, if you are taking them as say a JR or Senior just to remain eligible when you don’t otherwise squeak by, then no.

I think the crux of the thing here is the difference and the word GRADUATED.

GRADUATED like the players quoted on the front page of this forum and players who have not. Like Cadillac Williams, who I think is a heck of a running back, but to be accurate did not graduate from Auburn. He played ball there. Thats not a flame in disguise, Im sure many players from Bama have done the same thing along with countless other DIV. 1 Programs. So, to sum it all up this is my opinion. For Auburn this sucks; this stuff has been going on in DIV 1 football forever by almost every program known to man and Auburn is getting brow beaten for it......... hmmmm that sounds familure; as a Bama fan I can empathize.

Sorry to drag this back to the top guys, just want to put my little 2 cents in for whats its worth.

If you have worked hard and earned your degree before the season is over IE: (Brodie and the 14 other Bama players and I am sure as also applies to a number of Auburn players mentioned in all this mess,.) THEN YOU SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO TAKE THESE TYPES OF CLASSES. Why?

2. You should not have to take the chance of lowering your GPA just because you want to go to a bowl game or finish the season.

3. IF ALL ABOVE APPLIES (IE Brodie and the 14) then sure, one or two "easy" (There is probably a better word here) courses should be made available to athletes. WHAT!? YOU ASK?!!!!  Hey, you put in double duty. Football Practice, Games, Injuries, weight room, game study, Spring Drills ECT ECT ECT. I have no problem with a guy (Or girl) who does all that.... Gets his degree (Or TWO) and still wants to finish out the last 3 or 4 weeks of the season.  My hat is off to you... Here add basket weaving to your (and here is the key word ) ALREADY BESTOWED AND EARNED DEGREE.

What difference is it going to make, some of you are twisting the facts. This DOES NOT mean you can get a degree or two or three by doing this. So what if it is available to only athletes, lots of benefits come with putting out the hard work of being a student athlete. If you have graduated then no problem, if you are taking them as say a JR or Senior just to remain eligible when you don’t otherwise squeak by, then no.         

GRADUATED like the players quoted on the front page of this forum and players who have not. Like Cadillac Williams, who I think is a heck of a running back, but to be accurate did not graduate from Auburn. He played ball there. Thats not a flame in disguise, Im sure many players from Bama have done the same thing along with countless other DIV. 1 Programs. So, to sum it all up this is my opinion. For Auburn this sucks; this stuff has been going on in DIV 1 football forever by almost every program known to man and Auburn is getting brow beaten for it......... hmmmm that sounds familure; as a Bama fan I can empathize.

248994[/snapback]

I disagree. If you want to stay on for another season after graduation and be a student-athlete then do the work a student athlete does. Take golf, swimming, or whatever and go to class or find some other crip class like our Organic Gardening. You've graduated, its your choice, continue to be a student if you want to play college, or take your degree and move to the pro's or get a job.

I'm sorry, but even if it was Auburn I can not condone a IS that gives 6 hours worth of credit for 5 pages of work.

And your right, they do have to put up double duty. They also get free tuition, free books, free meals, money for room and board, they also get free access to the universities top tutors (which is about $30 a hour these days). Just tuition, books, and rent was close to $7000 dollars for me in the spring semester.

I was a division one athlete, I know the double duty, and I still don't condone it and would be insulted if I found out a athlete at Auburn got 6 credit hours for a 5 page paper.

If anything I'd say let them have the season off (which is impossible unfortunatly for some sports) and require them to get the necessary hours in Spring and Summer.

3. IF ALL ABOVE APPLIES (IE Brodie and the 14) then sure, one or two "easy" (There is probably a better word here) courses should be made available to athletes. WHAT!? YOU ASK?!!!!  Hey, you put in double duty. Football Practice, Games, Injuries, weight room, game study, Spring Drills ECT ECT ECT. I have no problem with a guy (Or girl) who does all that.... Gets his degree (Or TWO) and still wants to finish out the last 3 or 4 weeks of the season.  My hat is off to you... Here add basket weaving to your (and here is the key word ) ALREADY BESTOWED AND EARNED DEGREE.

248994[/snapback]

There is ZERO difference in taking a class to remain eligible to participate in a bowl game and taking a class to remain eligible to participate in a bowl game -- no matter WHAT the graduated status of the player may be.

I disagree. If you want to stay on for another season after graduation and be a student-athlete then do the work a student athlete does. Take golf, swimming, or whatever and go to class or find some other crip class like our Organic Gardening. You've graduated, its your choice, continue to be a student if you want to play college, or take your degree and move to the pro's or get a job.

You say you disagree, but c'mon isn't golf or swimming or whatever pretty much the same thing. I know.. I get it, your disagreement is you dont get 6 hours of credit for it. I agree with that, FWIW I dont know how many credits Brodie and company got for the psuedo classes they took. I doubt it was six credits . Peprah for sure did not need it as well as DeMeco, heck Peprah had two degrees already and DeMeco is an academic all sec.

As for the second part of your post.. good points. You may have a solution there. Enjoyed your insight.

Now on to Mr. Galen:

There is ZERO difference in taking a class to remain eligible to participate in a bowl game and taking a class to remain eligible to participate in a bowl game

Huh?

Amen, the class was a 6 hour IS for Closner and Croyle that required only a 5 page paper. Thats whats in the Dallas paper article thats linked around the board. It took one of them about a week and half to complete. I've no idea if you did go to college or didn't, but do you know how much work is required of classes that can give 6 credit hours usually and how rare 6 hour classes are?

Peprah I believe was doing graduate work, and made the comment that he wasn't taking crip classes. I'm not grouping Peprah in that, and believe him legit. Its not rare for an athlete to do some graduate classes in this instance.

And your right, swimming etc is easy and a crip class. And if a regular student takes one of those crip classes then they have to go to the class as alot of them while easy on the work tie in attendance. I took a super easy IS class at Auburn, but it was still something that I couldn't complete in two weeks. The PE classes at Auburn allow for 3 unexcused absences and all have a mandatory skills test and written at the end of them.... like I said easy, but still have to go for those 2 credit hours.

If I as a regular student save up all my electives till my final semester, and I have all the core and all my major classes done and passed they don't say well we will let you off the hook cause all you have to take is swimming. I have to go to those classes. If I am completly done with my degree and decide not to declare graduation and sign up for 4 PE classes so I can get one more football season, I still have to attend those classes and if I don't I fail and it affects my GPA negatively. (which the players that don't do grad work I believe have to delay graduation or least some chose to do so).

Now on to Mr. Galen:

There is ZERO difference in taking a class to remain eligible to participate in a bowl game and taking a class to remain eligible to participate in a bowl game

Huh?

249021[/snapback]

Brodie Croyle took a class to remain eligible for a bowl game in his senior season. Doug Langenfeld took a class to remain eligible for a bowl game in his senior season.

ZERO difference. No difference whatsoever. To claim otherwise is absurd.

Brodie didnt go to class until Dec, allmost after the semester was over.

5 page paper= 1 title page, one bibliography page, and likely 2.5-2 double spaced pages. There are posts on this site that have more work in them than was turned in for those 6 hours.

It boiled down to 2 hours credit for PAGE. If had gone to bama, hell I would have dual PhDs and change...

Now on to Mr. Galen:

Huh?

249021[/snapback]

Brodie Croyle took a class to remain eligible for a bowl game in his senior season. Doug Langenfeld took a class to remain eligible for a bowl game in his senior season.

249032[/snapback]

Brodie has / had a diploma.... Doug did / does not.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/huntsvill...ll=1&thispage=2

Also, Doug was dropped from a class which put him in a bind. So I have to disagree, not declaring righteousness, but there is a difference. Whether or not it should or should not matter is where the point of view and debate comes in.

In the fall of 2004, Mr. Langenfeld found himself in an academic bind. More than two months into the fall semester, he realized that he had been attending the wrong class because of a scheduling error. Mr. Langenfeld approached Professor Gundlach about adding a class, but Professor Gundlach said he could not help him because it was too late in the semester.

Mr. Langenfeld then went to his academic counselor in the athletic department, Brett Wohlers, with a plea: “I got dropped from a class and need a class to stay eligible for the bowl game,” Mr. Langenfeld recalled in a recent telephone interview. “I need a class, and I’ll take any class right now. I don’t not want to play in my last bowl game.”

He said Mr. Wohlers told him about a “one-assignment class” that other players had taken and enjoyed. So in the “9th or 10th week,” Mr. Langenfeld said, he picked up a directed-reading course with Professor Petee. Semesters typically run 15 weeks.

Now on to Mr. Galen:

Huh?

249021[/snapback]

249032[/snapback]

Also, Doug was dropped from a class which put him in a bind. So I have to disagree, not declaring righteousness, but there is a difference. Whether or not it should or should not matter is where the point of view and debate comes in.

In the fall of 2004, Mr. Langenfeld found himself in an academic bind. More than two months into the fall semester, he realized that he had been attending the wrong class because of a scheduling error. Mr. Langenfeld approached Professor Gundlach about adding a class, but Professor Gundlach said he could not help him because it was too late in the semester.

Mr. Langenfeld then went to his academic counselor in the athletic department, Brett Wohlers, with a plea: “I got dropped from a class and need a class to stay eligible for the bowl game,†Mr. Langenfeld recalled in a recent telephone interview. “I need a class, and I’ll take any class right now. I don’t not want to play in my last bowl game.â€Â

He said Mr. Wohlers told him about a “one-assignment class†that other players had taken and enjoyed. So in the “9th or 10th week,†Mr. Langenfeld said, he picked up a directed-reading course with Professor Petee. Semesters typically run 15 weeks.

249061[/snapback]

What in Aunt Clara's bloomers does "graduated or not graduated" have to do with it?

What was the motivation for Brodie taking the class: Remain eligible.

What was the motivation for Doug taking the class: Remain eligible.

Apples to apples. PERIOD.

Brodie didnt go to class until Dec, allmost after the semester was over.

5 page paper= 1 title page, one bibliography page, and likely 2.5-2 double spaced pages. There are posts on this site that have more work in them than was turned in for those 6 hours.

It boiled down to 2 hours credit for PAGE. If had gone to bama, hell I would have dual PhDs and change...

249037[/snapback]

He didn't need to. They (he i should say) had taken their core classes and had (were on track) to graduate and recieve the diploma. I have not seen where Brodie recieved 6 hours for these assignments. But even if he did, so what. They did not count towards completion of his degree. Like I said add basket weaving to your bachelors DK.... does it matter?

Now on to Mr. Galen:

Huh?

249021[/snapback]

249032[/snapback]

Mr. Langenfeld then went to his academic counselor in the athletic department, Brett Wohlers, with a plea: “I got dropped from a class and need a class to stay eligible for the bowl game,” Mr. Langenfeld recalled in a recent telephone interview. “I need a class, and I’ll take any class right now. I don’t not want to play in my last bowl game.”

He said Mr. Wohlers told him about a “one-assignment class” that other players had taken and enjoyed. So in the “9th or 10th week,” Mr. Langenfeld said, he picked up a directed-reading course with Professor Petee. Semesters typically run 15 weeks.

249061[/snapback]

What in Aunt Clara's bloomers does "graduated or not graduated" have to do with it?

249065[/snapback]

The difference is whether or not it counts toward the completion of your degree. If it is just to remain eligible with no bearing on your diploma because you have already earned it.... then no... your right... no difference.

The difference is whether or not it counts toward the completion of your degree. If it is just to remain eligible with no bearing on your diploma because you have already earned it.... then no... your right... no difference.

249069[/snapback]

The only purpose in taking the course was to remain eligible. For Brodie and for Doug.

Doug was a senior playing in his last game.

Croyle was a senior playing in his last game.

Whether or not Doug had any intention of graduating makes no difference whatsoever. A course is a course. Eligible is eligible. Both could have counted toward completion of a degree.

Now on to Mr. Galen:

Huh?

249021[/snapback]

249032[/snapback]

249061[/snapback]

249065[/snapback]

249069[/snapback]

I'm not getting into the did he have a diploma or not issue. The fact remains: there is a 6-hr credit class taught (probably should say "given") at uat that only requires students to turn in a 5-page paper. Now, I assume it's open to the entire student body & not just for athletes only because the NCAA hasn't commented on it. (Maybe they don't know about it?) Whatever AU has done with the sociology department pales in comparsion to this "academic" course. Reminds me of the walking course "given" at UT.

Whether or not Doug had any intention of graduating makes no difference whatsoever.

:blink::poke:

So your saying there is the possibility that Doug went to Auburn University strictly to play football with no intention of ever recieving a degree. Thats a possibility?

Amen, here is the link for the 6 credit class we are talking about.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...er.2d1ca13.html

I understand what your saying, what does it matter what they take or how its structured because they already have done the work they need. But you can't just structure a special course for athletes that involve basically no work cause they have finished their degree.

That same course with the same workload has to be offered to regular students, if it isn't then its considered preferential treatment and a NCAA violation.

You also can't rule out that maybe somewhere they could decide to get a second degree, and its possible that IS course could be considered a core course for the second degree. So they just got a freebie 6 hours toward that second degree.

I think what Galen is getting at is that there is requirements credit and grade wise for the current semester of sports participation and that just because they have completed a degree doesn't mean they should get a freebie for that semester for elgibility. They should have to do work in a legit class like the athletes that have not yet finished a degree.

And yes, there are athletes that go to college with no intent of getting a degree, its the step that they have to take to go pro in football. Probably alot of them that woulnd't have set foot on a campus if they could go pro after high school.

Okay, I'm going to do something that I almost never do; post on a rival forum. Since Proud Tiger is calling me out though I'll make an exception.

Hey PT, if you're going to come over here and talk sh** about me and my posts then why don't you atleast get your story straight first champ. You want to talk about my hypocritical posts regarding AU and the investigation then why don't you do your brethren a favor and really expose me properly. Go over to RTB.com and link my posts over here for everyone to read. That would really teach me a lesson wouldn't it. Problem is, since I have not one time ever responded to that thread you decided to just go ahead and link me in with it anyway, and I have a problem with that.

If anyone here is the hypocrite it is you. Check your sh** before you go telling stories.

248447[/snapback]

porkchop....sorry to be late responding to your post but I just now saw it. Let me begin by saying I WAS WRONG in attributing anything negative to you. I went back and realized it was another poster and I saw your name with it somehow. Having duly apologized, let me make a few points:

1. if you read my post, I said I was sad about what I was reading on CT. I stand by that. While I was wrong in attributing anything to you, I still think there are a lot of CT posters in a hypocritical frenzy. I say hypocritical because a lot of CT posters are saying the same things about us thye get mad at other school's fans saying about bama. They are gloating over the fact Auburn could get probation saying it serves us right. Nevermind that bama fans have rubbed it in our face since 1957.

2. You say "if I'm going to come over here.....". and say things....What do you mean come over here? This is my home board and note I was responding to a bama poster here....on an Auburn board.....who was saying we were in a hair trigger mode. Damn right we are so why is he here from CT stirring the pot?

3. You were always polite to me when I posted on CT. That's why it saddened me to think that you would be part of the CT sharks. But in my post, I in no way attacked you with the venom you came here with.

4. I didn't quote you here as saying anything. I don't translate posts from one board to another without permission. Most folks here know that I don't even know how to do it.

5. I will post an apology on CT, even though I didn't say anything about you there.

Then I will move on.

4. I didn't quote you here as saying anything. I don't translate posts from one board to another without permission. Most folks here know that I don't even know how to do it.

249084[/snapback]

Yep, PT is a link/cut/paste dolt!! :poke::poke:

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Ok hold the phone...

PT I am not stirring the pot. Read my posts, I have done nothing but debate the issue. I have agreed ( Texan 4 Auburn) and disagreed ( Galen). Im sorry if you feel otherwise. The hair trigger comment had no hiden agenda to it. It was rhetoric at best.

Archived