Richt

WAR-MATT

I posted this on the Logan Gray thread and thought it deserved it's own thread.

Quick question about Richt though. His recruiting classes are always ranked in the top 10 year in year out. Should he have won a MNC by now?

UGA is right up there with USC, Texas, OSU, LSU and OU every year, all have MNC’s.

If UGA was in the PAC-10 or Big 12, they would have won a MNC by now.

The only reason LSU got a shot was that there were no undefeated teams.

That's what makes what AU accomplished in 2004 even more unbelievable, UGA always has good teams, but they wind up having a conference loss or two, and it keeps them out of the running for the NC.

UGA will always be at or near the top of the SEC as long as Richt is there(as will AU), however, it will take a performance out of the ordinary to push ANYONE from the SEC into the championship game.

Quick question about Richt though. His recruiting classes are always ranked in the top 10 year in year out. Should he have won a MNC by now?

UGA is right up there with USC, Texas, OSU, LSU and OU every year, all have MNC’s.

249741[/snapback]

Recruitment is only one component. You also need a favorable schedule, preferably with an early season win over a big-time opponent to get all the love from the sportswriters (ref UT over OSU last year.) It really helps to have a front runner for the Heisman because the sportswriters go gaga over this and start making inane pronouncements like: "The 2003 Oklahoma team with Jason White at QB is the greatest football team in history" (this was said 1 week before OU lost to KSU, 35-7 in the Big XII CCG.)

Simply by being in the SEC East & having AU as a traditional rival, UGA can't expect to have an easy schedule any time soon. Richt has recruited well, no doubt but that hasn't produced any Heisman candidates as of yet.

You could make the case that Richt is the new Mack Brown b/c he can't beat Florida (career 1-4).

You could also make the case that, unlike Mack Brown, he's got TWO monkeys on his back:

a. career vs. everyone else (per SouthLink): 49-6

b. career vs. UF and AU: 3-7 (2-3 vs. AU) :cheer:

Just a class act as far as I know and am concerned. Sometimes get the feeling that a true O.C. would be good for him to have but that is just me looking in from the outside. That may not really be the case.

You could make the case that Richt is the new Mack Brown b/c he can't beat Florida (career 1-4).

Richt has won 2 SEC Titles in his first 5 years of being a HC

The Brown comparisons are a joke.

People find anything to bash some people.

I have nothing but respect for Mark Richt. He seems like a personable fella and seems to connect well with his players.

IMO, just because you have a great recruiting class doesn't mean you're automatically going to win a National Championship. I'd be willing to bet money that he has one or maybe two up his sleeve somewhere in the (near?) future.

That being said, however, I know Tommy Tuberville.....and he's no Tommy Tuberville!!!

Recruiting only goes so far. You've got to have great coaches and program to get the recruits to realize their full potential. Richt's a good coach not great, the rest of his staff are so-so. Put Muschamp and Borges with Richt over the past 3-4 years and you're looking at a dominant program with at least 1 MNC. Tubs is a good coach not great, but he's surrounded by an excellent staff from the coordinators all the way to Yox, that's why we've been so successful and have had recruiting classes that have barely cracked the top 10.

249939[/snapback]

Didn't mean to bash Richt. I agree with all the complementary posts above - he's a class act, and he's made UGA the top program in the SEC (just ahead of AU and LSU, IMHO). The SECCs speak for themselves. Think of my post as me playing devil's advocate - the point was just that, now that Mack Brown's got a MNC, that "monkey" might pass to Richt, specifically because he may the strongest program in America that hasn't won an MNC (in his tenure).

(And YES, you could say something similar about Auburn, maybe, but let's not go there . . . )

I didnt mean to imply you were bashing him...I just meant I have heard the Brown comparisons yet never understood why Richt was compared to him.

Brown had never won a Conference Title before this year. Richt has done it twice.

People act as if Richt hasn't done something that numerous coaches have done...hell...Tubs went undefeated yet still didn't get one just showing you how flipping hard it is to get one.

Spurrier has yet to put together an undefeated season.

People act as if Richt hasn't done something that numerous coaches have done...hell...Tubs went undefeated yet still didn't get one just showing you how flipping hard it is to get one.

Spurrier has yet to put together an undefeated season.

249958[/snapback]

Spurrier won't put up an undefeated season unless he finds another Stoops-like DC AND gets lucky. Getting through the SEC east or west undefeated is a miraculous accomplishment, no mater what the retarded sportswriters say. I'm not surprised that CMR does not have a MNC because it is so blasted hard.

I would not be suprised at all if Richt got a MNC while at UGA. Richt is a damn good ball coach and good guy all around. I obviously don't know if he will ever get a MNC, but it will not be from lack of trying or coaching ability.

A mass of raw clay does not always turn into a work of art, no mater how much effort goes into it. Recruiting is step 2 in a 645 step process. If you don't get through the other 643 steps correctly, then you are not going to win a MNC. It freakin' voodoo to get a MNC and I do not think it is a knock on CMR that he does not have one yet.

I'd say richt has been extremely successful while at UGA.

249997[/snapback]

Yep, he's definitely made Georgia the Auburn of the SEC East. ;)

Richt is a class act and represents this conference as well as anyone in a long time. I hope he and CTT both retire at their respective schools and we have many classic battles just like this past year. It doesn't get any better than that.

:cheer::au::cheer::uga:

Richt is a fantastic coach. And based on what he's done in his first 5 years with the UGA program (only like 13 losses I believe), it's amazing.

UGA will win a NC/MNC sometime in the near future if Richt hangs around. I do think he'd be well served to hire an OC though.

The only reason LSU got a shot was that there were no undefeated teams.

249773[/snapback]

Ewww...I can hear the cajun grumblings over on TF.com right about now. No way in heaven was luck involved in their 2003 run. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

But about Richt...he made it the Sugar Bowl easily in '02. It's just that there were better teams that year. He's made the dawg faithful proud though...good coach.

249741[/snapback]

In the summer of '91, Spurrier read an article in a Georgia fan magazine claiming the Bulldogs had recruited better than anybody in the SEC under Ray Goff. Florida, Spurrier said, was ranked No. 5. After beating Georgia 45-13 in Jacksonville a few months later, Spurrier uttered the words that still live in infamy for Georgia fans:

"How is it when Georgia signs people, they get the 'best' players, but when we play, we've got the best players? Georgia has signed a lot of good players. Something just happens to them at Georgia, I guess."

Spurrier was 11-1 against Georgia in 12 years at Florida. :uf:

249939[/snapback]

The only thing that has kept him from being a exact copy of Brown atm is the fact that Spurrier left Florida and they slipped. Though I guess it is debatable that Spurrier wouldn't have made it to the SECG one of those years.

I'd say richt has been extremely successful while at UGA.

249997[/snapback]

Yep, he's definitely made Georgia the Auburn of the SEC East. ;)

249999[/snapback]

If he keeps dropping games to us he will soon be one of my favorite non-tubby coaches, lol.

Archived