Anyone else miss the days when coaches wore ties?

BamaGrad03

Style is all in the head--there is nothing wrong with casual dress.  If you have to be dependent on some goofy image for importance, something is wrong.  Innovation, productivity and customer staisfaction is all that matters in buiness.

How many employees of Microsoft wear ties?  Yet Bill Gates is the richest American alive.

If pomposity yielded results, I would be all for it.  Gimme results, and dress any way you want.

253235[/snapback]

There's the rub. For some businesses, dress does make a difference and can affect results. I imagine if you're an undertaker or a up-scale men's formal wear/tailor shop, wearing khackies and a golf shirt probably would hurt sales. But I agree with you, ties suck; and in the vast majority of businesses, probably don't really contribute anything.

When I was a kid attending AU football games with my father it was a three-piece suit with a Stetson dress hat. While a student at AU it was coat and tie. Upon graduating from AU and going to work it was business suit. Church was a suit.

Today church is khakis and a polo shirt. Work is khakis and polo shirt unless something unusual is haapening or client expectations. Ball games for me at AU are khakis and polo shirt. This change took a while for me ot get used to, but now that I am I never care to go back.

I want the coaches to me neat, comfortable, and fully focused on the game.

WAR EAGLE!!!

Absolutely not. Especially when it was 98 degrees outside...made no sense.

I think a coach should wear what he wants. Let it fit his style. If he is a polo shirt and slacks dresser, then wear that. If his style is to be dressed up, then do that. No big deal either way.

This topic has obviously brought up the broader issue of dress. I understand, but don't agree with, statements like: "Dress for success; Better represent your employer." Don't get me wrong, there are occasions that you NEED to be dressed up. But my common sense tells me that it is not in early September, on a sideline, where the field temp is around 103. I don't think you become less "classy" by not dressing up. Plus, many intrapreneurs of my generation (who are retiring around age 35) never dress up, staying "true to themselves." I suppose making 6 figures by working from your computer at home never demands a dress up time.

And let's not even begin to talk about how this topic has affected the church in the past 20 years! (ok, I will a tad...i like the change...the less barriers we put up to people coming to church, the better...ok, i'm done, promise).

War Eagle! Let's win em all...suit or no suit! :au:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Coach Jordan ever wearing a tie on the sidelines. He never seemed to me to be someone who put a lot of thought into what he was wearing. Anybody here want to second guess HIM?

If I were a coach I wouldn't want to wear a freaking tie on the sidelines and couldn't care less that they don't wear one these days. It's all about marketing.

Another thing, semi-related:  Can anyone remember the last time they were actually cold at a football game?  In my high school days ('60's-'70's), part of the fun of football season was having an excuse to cuddle with your date under a shared blanket on a chilly night (even in Alabama).  I cannot recall needing a blanket at a ballgame in 2-3 decades--I practically have a heat stroke just thinking about it these days!

253187[/snapback]

I like the weather in Auburn. Cuddling with date is good and all, but I went to OU games with girlfriend in HS and sleeting with the temperatures at -12 with windchill I can do without and the cuddling under a blanket didn't help.

I hate being cold though no matter what so I'm biased lol.

Guest Tigrinum Major
What....this is very gay or prep in my opinion to think of "what not to wear" during your college game day experience.So I don't care if a fancy pants wants to wear a button-up with a sweater tided around their neck or hillbilly boy wearing their number 8 nascar shirt.Do I miss tie's?About as much as I miss the fur coat and up turned vaudeville hat....break out the ukulele's as the accessory. :rolleyes:

253189[/snapback]

What do you wear to games at RCHS?

I obviously touched a nerve with you TexanforAuburn. I think you said you were in a fraternity because you moved 1000 miles and didn't know anyone. We just have a difference of opinion on the importance of fraternities and how cool the traditions are. I have no issue with khaki pants either. I just never understood fraternities and their dates going totally all-out with for a football game. Just my opinion.

The shirt and tie thing was a football coaches "uniform" for 100 years, thus it took a while to die out. Seems silly now (especially in the humid South) but it sure beats those Sansabelt slacks or Bike adjustable-waistband polyester shorts coaches STILL sometimes wear. Fulmer's all orange jogging suit is the worst. Remember Morrison, the coach @ South Carolina? He looked like a bada$$ in his all black (before jerry glanville and every sawed-off-tough-guy-wannabe...like Jim Rome...started wearing urban camouflage). Morrison wouldn't even stand out today. A long (never short) sleeve oxford and a tie looks appropriate on a cerebral-type football coach @ a Big 10 or Ivy League school. Don't agree the shirt & tie look gay. Bubba polyster Sansabelts w/ a can of Copenhagen in the back pocket on the other hand...

As far as cold regular season games (many memories of cold Dec./Jan games), I remember going to a Georgia game @ J-H that was FREEZING. One side was whipping up so bad on the other and enough fans had left by the 4th quarter, that people were moving into the sun as the shade made its way around the stadium.

My friend and I spent the entire half time of the 1984 Tangerine Bowl ( Bo vs. Doug Flutie) standing in line waiting for coffee. It was mighty cold in Orlando that night, but Bo was on fire.

Where have you guys been? Its every football season (especially in the playoffs).. its in the 30s and 40s during the games.. Whoever said in 3 decades they havn't had to wear a jacket.. Are you from Florida? lol. Last season wasn't too bad.. but before that one.. I remember games where I couldn't stand it from the cold weather.. and I LOVE cold weather.

Where have you guys been? Its every football season (especially in the playoffs).. its in the 30s and 40s during the games.. Whoever said in 3 decades they havn't had to wear a jacket.. Are you from Florida? lol. Last season wasn't too bad.. but before that one.. I remember games where I couldn't stand it from the cold weather.. and I LOVE cold weather.

253291[/snapback]

What "playoffs"? :blink:

...and where have YOU been? Unless you're talking Celsius temperatures, I don't think we've had 30's & 40's in Alabama before January in a very long time. [...or else the cold froze my memory cells. :big: ]

I obviously touched a nerve with you TexanforAuburn.  I think you said you were in a fraternity because you moved 1000 miles and didn't know anyone.  We just have a difference of opinion on the importance of fraternities and how cool the traditions are.  I have no issue with khaki pants either.  I just never understood fraternities and their dates going totally all-out with  for a football game.  Just my opinion.

253284[/snapback]

No problem with anyone not wanting to do it, or not understanding it, or even not liking it. But the words you used were silly and gay. Some people wear jerseys to games, its not my thing, but I'm not going to insult them cause they chose to do so.

And ya, thats a major reason why I joined one.. not the elite I'm special thing people want to paint. I had alot of fun with the date thing, we would make a whole day out of it, I also enjoyed the parties and socials and the intramural athletics etc.

The post comes out like you got a chance to take a shot at them and did. The nerve with me is I can't stand the hypocrits that were not in one that do the exact same things (be judgemental of people in one, or think they are special cause they didn't take that path, or have to rag everything they do cause its different) they come down on them for. And the ones that are in one that think they are special cause of a couple of greek letters or three need to get over themselves also and deserve the criticism.

Different strokes for different folks, why attack the way someone choses to live their life if it isn't hurting anyone else? I try and judge people on a individual basis and that means accepting what they like and dislike and respecting that without insulting it.

I grew up with alot of things that required that type of dress (church, job, dinner, banquets etc) so it didnt bother me to wear it and I don't even notice ties if wearing one. Plus I had khaki's and button downs that were designed for summer weather, which were more comfortable and cooler than jeans and knit polo's. I didn't mess with a coat unless the weather was coat weather.

The undressing was really fun also if the day went right. :lol:

I forgot, Bama fans are my exception to the live and let live rule, but then they usually cast the first stone.

having large legs from soccer

253176[/snapback]

I solved that problem in college through a cross-training regimen of rugby and basketball with copious amounts of fermented beverages. Add in a couple of quarters of sedentary research during graduate school, and I was set. Now, with my beer gut and bedonkadonk ass, pants fit perfectly!

What....this is very gay or prep in my opinion to think of "what not to wear" during your college game day experience.So I don't care if a fancy pants wants to wear a button-up with a sweater tided around their neck or hillbilly boy wearing their number 8 nascar shirt.Do I miss tie's?About as much as I miss the fur coat and up turned vaudeville hat....break out the ukulele's as the accessory. :rolleyes:

253189[/snapback]

What do you wear to games at RCHS?

253281[/snapback]

Hehe usually a Type O Negative t-shirt...or an Auburn Jersey, they're both just as cool to me. :thumbsup:

having large legs from soccer

253176[/snapback]

I solved that problem in college through a cross-training regimen of rugby and basketball with copious amounts of fermented beverages. Add in a couple of quarters of sedentary research during graduate school, and I was set. Now, with my beer gut and bedonkadonk ass, pants fit perfectly!

253583[/snapback]

:lol:

Of course, I really have a problem with casual dress in the workplace. While I don't believe in three-piece suits, I make my employs wear a jacket and tie every day. It is a way of demonstrating respect for the employer, the clients, and the work one does.

253134[/snapback]

Note to self....never move to Birmingham and work for Otter. :D

I don't mean this at all disrespectfully, but I'm guessing you're on the "back nine" of life? No real need to answer that, it's just that usually there are generational differences with respect to attitudes towards work casual. (FWIW, I'm 35)

I certainly respect the fact that not everyone shares the same opinion as me (oh what a wonderful world it would be), and I have no idea what type of work atmosphere you're in, but would you answer this - do you deal with the public/clients on a daily basis, or are you in an office all day and there are no "surprise" client/public drop ins? I can kind of see it, depending on the type of profession and whether you have clients/public coming into the office daily, but othewise, I just don't get it. I work in a "white collar" profession, and I personally feel fortunate that business casual is our rule of thumb. If I (or anyone else) is going to a client's, we of course wear a coat and tie. Otherwise, my daily outfit is khakis and a polo. (We don't have public walk-ins or clients just dropping by.)

I just never understood the POV of having to dress "professional" to be "professional". Wearing a coat and tie is not going to improve my efficiency or make me any smarter. (If anything, it would slow down my efficiency due to the amount of time I'd be bitching about having to wear a tie every day.) I've always felt that being comfortable was more important than making sure my tie doesn't clash with my socks.

When I first started working in this profession, I did have to wear a tie everyday and hated it. Then, we eventually went to business casual, but the CEO outlawed white crew neck undershirts under polos. He for some reason thought it was too "college". (He was only in his 40's, but he perpetually had a stick up his butt. After he left, that rule went away in a hurry.) Thankfully, the industry norm now in my profession is business casual. Personally, it would take a LOT to get me to have to wear a tie everyday.

253190[/snapback]

Hey. I'm 39 and I run a marketing consultancy. And I have graphic designers and other arty people working for me. Jacket and tie doesn't not mean looking like a square. It means always being prepared for a meeting. Because one never knows if one will be seeing clients that day. And, quite frankly, it sends a very distinct signal to the client regarding your professionalism. It also sends a subtle signal to employees that we are expected to look and act the part. After all, when the client is paying thousands of dollars for your ideas, you should look buttoned down in every possible sense of the word.

Aside from attire, I run a pretty casual ship. If we produce good work on tme for our clients, and do so profitably, then we can kick back in the afternoon. Or take off between Xmas and New Years, etc. etc. etc. That's why I have a good track record keeping employees.

Archived