Injuries leave Tigers short of players

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/huntsvill....xml&coll=1

Auburn notebook

Injuries leave Tigers short of players

Friday, August 11, 2006

Huntsville Times

AUBURN - With the season opener against Washington State 22 days away, injuries are mounting for Auburn's football team. The Tigers are getting so short-handed that coach Tommy Tuberville says a game-type scrimmage scheduled for Saturday could be moved to Sunday or Monday.

Redshirt freshman cornerback Jarraud Powers, senior linebacker Karibi Dede and sophomore safety Lorenzo Ferguson all left Thursday morning's practice with shoulder injuries and did not practice Thursday afternoon. Freshman linebacker Hendrick Leverette suffered a leg injury. Nose guard Tez Doolittle sat out Thursday's practices with a bruised Achilles. He is expected back today, Tuberville said.

Senior center Joe Cope, who suffered a sprained knee last Friday, has still not returned.

Tuberville said none of the injuries is considered serious and the players should return "in a few days."

Linebacker Steve Gandy remains hospitalized with complications from a bruised quadricep muscle, but Tuberville said he is improving.

"It looks like they'll finish closing up his wound tomorrow and he'll be on the road to recovery," Tuberville said. "How long that's going to be, a month, two months, we'll have to wait and see. The prognosis looks good, barring complications."

On the plus side, safety Tristan Davis returned to practice Thursday after missing Wednesday with headaches.

Berry goes to tackle: Freshman Mike Berry, who started preseason camp as a center and then moved to right guard, is now a right tackle.

Berry, 6-foot-3 and 296 pounds from Brentwood (Tenn.) Academy, shows plenty of promise, offensive line coach Hugh Nall said.

"He has real good feet and some great fundamentals from high school," Nall said. "He's been well-coached. He's a big body that can move. It's just a matter of learning everything he has to do."

Muschamp wants more: First-year defensive coordinator Will Muschamp said he saw some good things in watching the tape of Wednesday's scrimmage, but he didn't see enough of what he wants.

"Effort, toughness and leadership, that's what we need here," Muschamp said. "We don't have enough guys that buy into that."

Duckworth, Groves on list: Senior offensive guard Tim Duckworth and junior defensive end Quentin Groves have been named to the watch list for the Rotary Lombardi Award.

The award is given annually to the nation's top down lineman. Duckworth and Groves are among 101 players on the watch list.

I've got to admit...I'm starting to get a little worried about how far we're getting down the depth charts, particularly at linebacker. Hopefully most of these injuries are minor, meaning days, not weeks, of recovery.

I think these are all very minor/nagging injuries. A slight delay in a full scrimmage isn't really a big deal. It happens to alot of teams. There's no sense in having game-type situations if most of your projected starters won't be available for the experience. Besides, the delay is only for a day or two.

Gandy's injury sounds like a pretty deep thigh bruise, but I'm not a doctor. I know those take a while to heal, especially if it has to be drained. But 7-8 weeks sounds like a bit too much. Maybe the injury is much worse than what my understanding of it is.

I think these are all very minor/nagging injuries. A slight delay in a full scrimmage isn't really a big deal. It happens to alot of teams. There's no sense in having game-type situations if most of your projected starters won't be available for the experience. Besides, the delay is only for a day or two.

Gandy's injury sounds like a pretty deep thigh bruise, but I'm not a doctor. I know those take a while to heal, especially if it has to be drained. But 7-8 weeks sounds like a bit too much. Maybe the injury is much worse than what my understanding of it is.

Gandy's injury is worse than a lot of people are thinking. This is a serious complication to the initial deep thigh bruise. With this type of injury, if that part of the leg isn't drained from the swelling it can cause the limb to need to be ambutated. Sometimes this can happen as fast as 6-8 hours, but the pain with this type of swelling is so severe that most people realize they need to get to a doctor. Luckily, once the swelling started, he was taken to the hospital in plenty of time to avoid that. Still, from what I've been reading, I would be surprised to see him any quicker than 2 months..possibly out for the year.

Auburn has always been known for its depth, but this does bother me that everyone is getting hurt. Thankfully its now and not the week before the WSU game. That game still has me worried. I don't know why everyone thinks they are a pushover

Offensively, I think we're going to be okay. Q-backs, R-backs, WRs are all okay. The O-line will be back together once Joe gets back.

The defense is what worries me. These guys keep going down and yes, depth is a problem here. My main concern is what Muschamp has been saying about there's no leadership, no intensity. I find that hard to believe with Will Herring and Quentin and Marquis out there. Same for David Irons. Why is there no leadership? Maybe its just a psychological ploy by Muschamp to get them fired up. Maybe its just early in practices and they'll get tougher when its closer to gametime. But I am nervous.

Ryan

Injuries this time of year are very norma, especially the nagging/strained type. I would not look for Gandy to be able to contribute this year. From a game perspective the suspensions have more impact than anything right now, especially if they are through the LSU game. To me most of this is very common, even though Cope needs to get back to practice. I consider his injury more serious than the others and he is more critical to return than the others.

Washington St. is no pushover. If we don't come out ready, another Wisconsin will happen. Auburn is not a dominant program yet, we better not take anyone lightly, especially a quality opponent from a BCS conference. As far as the injuries go, it is a little concerning that so many guys are getting banged up. Tennessee plummeted last year partly because of this. I hope the nucleus will be healthy come gametime.

I would not look for Gandy to be able to contribute this year.

WHAT? Okay, so it's gone from the team not announcing how long it will be, to "7-8 weeks", to looking for him to not contribute this year??? You guys are a bunch of Negative Nelly's!!! The injuries that are listed in the article are all pretty minor (except for Gandy's possibly). A sore shoulder and a bruised knee and a sore Achilles are all just normal aches and pains from playing such a brutal sport. Don't think for a second that even if we are a little light on the depth chart that CTT won't be FULLY prepared for anything.

The Joe Cope situation is a prime example. When Joe went down in an early practice with a minor injury, CTT reacted by saying that it was a point that he was going to have to deal with at some time during pre-season workouts anyway. This is just as much a practice for the coaches as it is the players. They move people around to see who would work best where given different situations. The Joe Cope situation just made it happen a little earlier.

Washington St. is no pushover. If we don't come out ready, another Wisconsin will happen.

First, I agree with you that Washington State is no pushover...and we better take them seriously they lost 5 games last year by a combined total of 16 points and they return a large portion of their squad. However dont expect a Wisconsin game (maybe GT but not Wisc.) I was at that game and I can tell you that was not Auburn that was a bunch of guys who didnt give a crap....they looked like they spent more time with Mickey then they did with the head coaches.....if we come out looking like that I would be very....very...disappointed.

As far as injuries go...look at it this way it means the back-ups are getting some much needed practice time as well...I wouldnt worry about it to much, it happens most of the summer these guys are rusty they are sloppy and thats when this kind of thing happens. Come game day they will be good to go!!

Archived