CTT,defense, O-line

Tygerman34

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AUtygerman34, I totally agree with what you said despite numerous disagreements. Yes, we do run short of Offensive Linemen quite often OR they haven't developed the ones they have. Otherwise, they wouldn't be shifting ones they have around. Tubs said long ago that they prefer to recruit athletes and make them into either O line or D line. In other words, develop them. That's ok but I would prefer to recruit a pure O linemen and a pure D linemen when we can. Trouble is, I don;'t know how often we are able to do that since linemen are harder to sign than RB's and QB's according to the experts.

We've had one of the best o-lines in the country the last 2 years, leading the conference in rushing and being at or near the top in total offense even after losing 3 first round draft picks from our backfield last year. I'm reticent to call our o-line recruiting philosophy unsound based on 6 games of this season and one bowl game last year.

Yes, we do seem to hold our breath when our "D" takes the field of late. When they are playing a predominant running team and a nationally recognized team they seem to fall apart. Those teams we praised the D play on were minor compared to LSU and Ark. We were exposed as weak on D OR our schemes and preparation or lack thereof was exposed. In any event, what you said about OUR fearing our defense is TRUE! Others sure don't!!!! We are unusually small in the interior line and they are being manhandled by the opponents O line. The DB's are having to make the plays that the D line and LB's are supposed to make as well as cover pass routes. Can't be done all the time!

Again, we employed this same philosophy in 2004...speed over size...and we had one of the best defenses in the nation. With the exception of Wisconsin last year, our defense was pretty darn good. While the Arkansas game was not good, the LSU game isn't exactly one I'd put up there as evidence of defensive decline. We held them to 3 points. They had only 42 yds rushing with a good offensive line and two power back running straight at us. They did have 311 total yds, but 76 of that came passing on the last drive against a prevent defense...again, not exactly a weakness of the speed vs size argument. So minus the last drive you held an offense with the weapons LSU has to 3 pts and 235 yds of offense. That's a pretty good day at the office where I come from.

Our wide receivers are not up to par for whatever reason. CT seems to be getting his wheels under him again if he can remain healthy, but Rodriguez, Smith and others have been erratic. We have to have go to receivers and we have none right now and 1/2 the season is over. Coaching? Talent?

It could be those things, but you might want to add "experience" to the list of possibilities. Only CT saw any significant playing time last season. The rest of the guys either didn't play or played sparingly last year. We lost 3 starters, two of which had started for at least 3 years for us. There's bound to be a drop off unless you're getting all-world WR recruits and never missing on one.

This team may have missed Sears and Blackman more than people thought and I am certain that the absence of Cope was monumental despite what Tubs said. (why advertise a weakness before Florida)

Losing Pitts and having Wilhite injured didn't help either and losing Cole Bennett was a huge blow. Next comes a banged up Cox and Irons. All these factors have played together to render the team inconsistent and unpredictable. We'll have to live with it and hope they get better and get it together. As for Muschamp, Tubs will review him at the end of the season and pretenders will be unmasked and dealt with.

Let us remember, the same Gene Chizik that coached the great 2004 defense got torched by Arkansas a couple of years before that for over 400 yds rushing in J-H Stadium. Like it or not, this is our 3rd D-coordinator in three years. It could take just a little time for everything to settle in.

Tygerman, one line in some ESPN article doesn't prove anything. It was one game. That doesn't make a trend. Personally I think the Wisconsin game was more a function of basking too long in the glory of 11 sacks and reading that they were the best team in the SEC leading up to the bowl. But you know what they say about opinions.

What is your opinion now after Buffalo, USC, and especially Arkansas (who ran the ball down the throat of our "fast" defense)?

Tygerman, one line in some ESPN article doesn't prove anything. It was one game. That doesn't make a trend. Personally I think the Wisconsin game was more a function of basking too long in the glory of 11 sacks and reading that they were the best team in the SEC leading up to the bowl. But you know what they say about opinions.

Yes, I know what they say about opinions. Thanks for proving that point with your post.

Look, I don't know what your problem is, but if it doesn't clear up soon, I'm going to solve it for you as far as this board is concerned. My post wasn't snide, but that didn't stop you from acting like the south end of a north-bound mule.

You either need to develop thicker skin to handle it when people disagree with you, post better, or get lost.

Is that point getting through?

Another case of someone not agreeing with the mods and being threatened with a ban. Never happens when a mod, or long time poster makes threats.

One thing that bugs the piss out of me is when Brandon Cox lets the pocket collapse on top of him. It's almost like he doesn't sense the pressure. He needs to learn that no offensive line in the country can keep him safe for more than 4 seconds with out having to eventually move out.

I like that the kid doesn't get happy feet when his 2nd and 3rd recievers are covered, it shows confidence but sometimes you can have to much confidence in your O-Line.

WDE,

Michael

Good point about BC staying in the pocket while it collapses around him. I have to ask, are any of the receivers working back toward him in an attempt to get open? Where did the RB go who could have received a dump off pass?

These are basic options in any offensive game plan. I have to ask why they are not being employed. Unfortunately I've only seen the games on TV so I cannot see the entire field to answer these questions. I'd appreciate a response from anyone who has been to a game this year.

Archived