Trev Alberts speaks

DKW 86

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/082506aar.html

The Return of Trev

Alberts' No. 1 isn't Ohio State

Aug. 25, 2006

By Trev Alberts

It has been a long time since I've had a chance to comment on college football. I realize there are probably a few of you who really enjoyed the fact that Trev was nowhere to be found last year as I took a redshirt (actually a grey shirt; I had to pay my own way).

But I'm thrilled to be back. I'm so blessed that CSTV has given me the chance to work with some of the most passionate college football fans out there, and I promise to be the same egomaniacal, know-it-all analyst that you have come to hate.

I promise that my analysis will go beyond the mundane and the obvious. Mundane and obvious analysis comes from people who have never played the game. Football is a great game, but just because you once covered a team for your local college rag or watched a lot of games does not make you an expert.

Analysis must be about more than simply saying a team is "making a statement" or commenting on how "athletic" a team is. True analysis takes courage. It takes grit and it takes work. That is what you are guaranteed with CSTV.

Enough with the self promotion! Let's move on to mind-numbing ramblings from the off-season...

Is it just me or were there an awful lot of off-season arrests, suspensions, etc?

I just don't buy the argument that increased media scrutiny is the reason for all the unrest. And it's not just the usual suspects; many big-time programs have suspended players for really important contests. See Miami. The `Canes get Florida State on Labor Day. No Ryan Moore and no Tyrone Moss. I just don't understand. These kids have so few opportunities and yet so many seem willing to squander them. Larry Coker's job status depends on 18-year-old kids making proper choices. I guess that's why top coaches make $2 million a year for coaching an amateur sport.

Speaking of amateurs, it seems as though these kids are less willing all the time to persevere at all. At such an early age they're told how special they are. Many institutions will go as far as guaranteeing them playing time. And so, when adversity comes, many simply leave. I remember my recruiting class at Nebraska in 1989. We had nine players of the 22 that were signed either transfer or quit. Most were highly-touted All-Americans. They hadn't had to work much in high school, so they were shocked when they found out they might have to earn something in college.

It seems that handling highly-touted incoming freshmen is one of the most demanding jobs that current head coaches have to deal with. I remember some very successful signings, and others that continue to haunt programs to this day.

Take Tennessee, for example. Brent Schaeffer and Erik Ainge were both highly-touted incoming quarterbacks. Two years ago, the Vols rotated quarterbacks and never established a team leader. Last year, Rick Clausen was thrown into the rotation. The end result? Schaeffer is now at Ole Miss, Ainge's development was retarded and Tennessee didn't develop the most crucial element of all successful football teams: leadership. Coach Phil Fulmer vows not to let that happen again. Needless to say, this is a very important year for Fulmer.

Two other high-profile schools face the same situation this season. Arizona State has already had its quarterback choice blow up in coach Dirk Koetter's face after he flip-flopped from Sam Keller to Rudy Carpenter. I really don't care about any report of "off the field" issues with Keller. To name him the starter and change your mind the next day smacks of a coach who realized that having a senior transfer was better than having a sophomore transfer at that position.

Meanwhile, Texas has two very talented freshmen at quarterback, Colt McCoy and Jevan Snead. One must be the starter. One must be the backup. The latter can play, but he cannot be co-starter. Longhorns fans must hope that the whole Chris Simms-Major Applewhite issue doesn't reinvent itself. Texas has enough talent to repeat, but not with rotating quarterbacks.

It is very simple to me. Look at most Top 25 polls. Teams at the top have solid, entrenched leadership from the most important position in college football, quarterback.

Speaking of top teams, here is my Top 10. It must be noted, this initial list is simply the best 10 teams. I am not predicting how they will finish based on their schedules and opponents, just identifying the 10 best teams.

1. Auburn - The Tigers are loaded and new def. coordinator Will Muschamp is a stud.

2. Michigan - Relax. The talent that you oooohed and aaaahed about two years ago is back.

3. LSU - Great skill players. Sept.16 at Auburn will tell the tale.

4. Florida - If Urban can stay out of the way!

5. Ohio State - The only question is defense. Anyone better at reloading than Tressel?

6. USC - Best defense in the country.

7. Notre Dame - Just play zone!!

8. Texas - Just pick one QB, please.

9. Georgia - Three all star running backs.

10. West Virginia - Toughness defined.

Please note...once again the SEC is the best conference in football.

I really liked Trev Alberts. I am glad to see that he is coming back. I think ESPN did him wrong. He is opinionated, but isn't that what an analyst should be? I didn't always agree with him, but respected the fact that he was man enough to state his opinion regardless of the backlash he would receive.

Its funny how people seemed to hate him. "He picked against my team, he is horrible! He made a bold prediction and it was wrong!"

He and Mark May constantly bickering was entertaining, and the critics don't realize that its impossible to make bold entertaining picks without being wrong quite a bit.

I guess they enjoy having Mark May and another guy just agree all the time.

Will he be on TV to watch?

I know Trev. I'm not a huge fan. He does have a hot wife.

I knew Jack Kennedy...and you're no Jack Kennedy (and you have only God to thank for that). :big:

:au::homer:

I've liked Mr. Trev since his playing days at Nebraska........Then when he was signed with the Colts, they also had Quentin "Face Breaker" Coryatt......Then when he became a anaylist for ESPN, he always told it like it was........unlike Geezer (aka Holtz) who just smiles and has that look on his face like, "Did I change my diaper, this week?". Whenever Trev and Herbstreit talked I would listen because they Know how it is.......They've been there and they've been usually right most of the times and when they weren't they would be the first to admit it. As I recall, wasn't it Trev that said "Somebody should go down to South East Alabama and pick up Auburn, because Choklahomo (not his exact word) is getting Smashed." Anyway, Welcome back Trev..........and War "BY GOD" Eagle

I was always a big fan of Trev because he brought LOGIC into his analysis and the logic was of a different prespective than everyone else's. In 2003 he didn't like Auburn and everyone on this board seemed to hate the guy.

Well, I used to like Trev Alberts, sort of, until he chose Auburn #1. Mark May always seemed to be the lesser of two evils, or the smarter of the two goofuses. I don't know for sure. But Trev always seemed like a tool to me. Now Rece Davis chaps my fanny because of his Iron Bowl prediction this year. He, an Alabama grad, picks Auburn to beat Bama. Mark May chose Alabama. Yea May! As for Trev, I wish him luck at CSTV or where ever he went.

How do you pick against your own school? Kirk Herbstriet chose Michigan over OSU once. He got a lot of flack for that. If Pat Dye was a broadcaster and he picked Alabama over Auburn, I'd flip out. I'd begin to think that the Twilight Zone was in fact real. Because you know it wouldn't happen. I'd rather him chose Auburn over Bama and then when Auburn loses, I want to see him speechless.

I know the feeling is mutual. :ua:

323, change your sig to..."House of Tommy Tuberville."

But he doesn't live there..... :no:

As far as ESPN commentators, Trev was probably the one I respected the most when he was there. The rest seemed to go with the popular team. It goes without saying who my least favorite is...the same guy that is everybody's least favorite.

I've liked Mr. Trev since his playing days at Nebraska........Then when he was signed with the Colts, they also had Quentin "Face Breaker" Coryatt......Then when he became a anaylist for ESPN, he always told it like it was........unlike Geezer (aka Holtz) who just smiles and has that look on his face like, "Did I change my diaper, this week?". Whenever Trev and Herbstreit talked I would listen because they Know how it is.......They've been there and they've been usually right most of the times and when they weren't they would be the first to admit it. As I recall, wasn't it Trev that said "Somebody should go down to South East Alabama and pick up Auburn, because Choklahomo (not his exact word) is getting Smashed." Anyway, Welcome back Trev..........and War "BY GOD" Eagle

I agree with Prowler! nice to see you back! Trev has a great football mind and I missed seeing him on Espn, I hope he has a show on Saturday

he doesn't live there, but he does own the place. think of it as an autumn home that he visits for a boost of confidence.

It's been a couple of years since he left so I don't exactly remember what happened. Does anyone remember the exact reason why ESPN canned Trev? I seem to recall he either had a run-in with a superior or they thought he was too opinionated. Either way, I think they did Trev wrong.

6. USC - Best defense in the country.

What am I missing? This isn't the first time I've heard someone claim this. Maybe I'm stupid, but I think there are several SEC defenses that are better than the Trojans.

Guest Tigrinum Major

You never fail to amaze me.

You know, if this post were on woopig...

"Rules, man, rules! We live in chaos without rules!"

You never fail to amaze me.

You know, if this post were on woopig...

"Rules, man, rules! We live in chaos without rules!"

I'll try and find a picture of her.

I guess I could ride over to his house and ask him if I could take a few black and white tastefully done nudes to post on the internets.

For the record, Trev and I don't hang out every weekend. Our boys play basketball together.

O-N-E game at a time?...What a concept!

Well, he wasn't ever my favorite. I thought he was an obnoxious tool and I wasn't at all surprised he was canned when he was. Not that any of the others on ESPN were all that much better: Lou Holtz was an EMBARRASSMENT as a replacement. Maybe some of y'all were comaring Lou to Trev and thinking that was a bad trade, and I don't disagree at all with that assessment.

Many of you remember Trev saying AU was the most overrated team in 2003, I'm sure. And on the surface, he was right -- he was prescient in saying so. I'll give him that much credit. Few of you remember his explanation for why he said it. I do, and that's why I thought he was an idiot for expressing it out loud. Did he go into analysis of AU's 2-headed Nallsminger OC experiment, or discuss the legitimacy of starting Daniel Cobb at QB, or the relative youth/inexperience at WR? No, he said AU didn't deserve the #1 ranking because "they've never been there before!" Pffftt ... straight from the Delusional Bammie Playbook. And then, after AU started 0-2, he looked right into the camera, smirked and said, "and that's why they're called Auburn." :puke: People, he got lucky with a 50-50 guess and that's all. Don't make him out to be the return of the prodigal son analyst. He's better than Lou Holtz but, just remember that ain't saying much.

Whatever, maybe he's changed. I'll at least give him the benefit of the doubt starting this season.

323, change your sig to..."House of Tommy Tuberville."

But he doesn't live there..... :no:

but he owns it :moon:

Kind of like Auburn has made the Capital One Bowl their home away from home. You guys own that too. :poke:

Archived