Team focused on Wash. St

Ranger12

"We are not going to just show up, show the other team our helmets and have them give up," Herring said. "We've got to play, and make plays, if we want to win games."

A year ago, there were question marks at quarterback and running back. Now Brandon Cox returns as an experienced, savvy quarterback and Kenny Irons is one of the country's best tailbacks.

Still, when the Tigers lost at home to USC in 2003 those same intangibles could be found in the home locker room at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

So what gives?

"It's not a question of why," Irons said. "It's just preparing yourself. You've got to prepare yourself for teams. You've got to eliminate the errors. The more you prepare yourself, the better you are."

Said Cox: "I don't know if there's a reason. I know this year we put a big emphasis in starting better. We've been thinking about this first game ever since spring practice started. Know there's a lot of hype, but a lot of the seniors were here a couple of years ago. They experienced what happened (in 2003)."

If anything, Auburn's players can hope that the past helps with the future. When you've been through the down times, it's easy to remember what it was like.

Cox said that's why Saturday's game against Washington State will be different.

"We've been reminded of that, of what happened the past few years," Cox said. "Everybody on the team has stayed focused on that first game unlike previous years. This year, I've seen everybody stay focused on Washington State."

Decatur Daily Link

I think this year is going to be different then the last few major conference opponent season openers. I would guess that CTT and the "veterans" of the team have used the past mistakes as a focal point for our game against WSU. I am anticipating an :au: team that is going to be all about business on Sept. 2, 2006!

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!

All I want to know is - "Is it Saturday yet?!?!?" I know all week I will be focused on WSU!!

If memories of 2003, Ga Tech, and Wisconsin weren't enough, I think Coach Muschamp's enthusiam has had a contagious effect on both sides of the ball. I don't remember much excitement attached to new coordinators when Nallsminger or Gibbs took over, but I'm constantly reading about how much excitement Muschamp's contagious personality has brought to the team. Much like when CAB came in in 2004.

All I want to know is - "Is it Saturday yet?!?!?" I know all week I will be focused on WSU!!

Yeah, I will not get too much done this week either. Not like I am doing much right now anway. :lol:

It will make it hard to focus on schoolwork and I live 3 hours from the campus! I wonder how hard it is for the students on campus to focus during the week leading up to the first game of the season? Some of you fortunate enough to be alumni and current students need to fill me in on the "atmosphere" on campus leading up to the season opener.

Yeah, I will not get too much done this week either. Not like I am doing much right now anway. :lol:

It will make it hard to focus on schoolwork and I live 3 hours from the campus! I wonder how hard it is for the students on campus to focus during the week leading up to the first game of the season? Some of you fortunate enough to be alumni and current students need to fill me in on the "atmosphere" on campus leading up to the season opener.

Unless things have changed drastically, I would describe this as the calm before a storm, kind of like the quiet on the battlefield before a big battle. Things will start popping on Friday.

I'm going into my senior year and right now campus is still pretty calm.

Things will really get going on Wednesday when the RV's show up in the fields on Donahue. That is when I really know it is almost game time.

I won't get anything done Thursday or Friday. The plan is to start tailgating/drinkin watch the Miss St.-South Carolina game and then head out to the bars. Friday will begin one long build up to our game saturday night.

It's almost here...

Archived