Tigers tackle season of great expectations

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/mobilereg....xml&coll=3

Tigers tackle season of great expectations

Auburn opens season as favorite to capture conference championship

Sunday, August 27, 2006

By EVAN WOODBERY

Sports Reporter

AUBURN -- The recognition is nice, but the Auburn Tigers would just as soon do without all the praise.

Auburn has learned there's something to be said for avoiding magazine covers and oppressive preseason expectations.

The Tigers' undefeated season in 2004 arrived without the benefit of preseason hype. A year earlier, Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville barely survived an attempted ouster when results failed to match expectations.

"I appreciate the target you put on my back," Tuberville joked to the writers at SEC Media Days who had just picked his team to win the conference. "The last time you did that, you almost got me fired."

Tuberville's job security is much more stable than it was in 2003, but that doesn't mean there aren't eerie similarities between the two seasons. In both years, Auburn had a star-studded offensive cast, a new coordinator and a home opener against a Pac-10 opponent.

The days of SEC teams turning up their noses at Pac-10 opponents has long since passed, so it's unlikely the Tigers will overlook Washington State on Sept. 2. But the rest of the schedule is also loaded with land mines.

Home games against LSU, Arkansas, Florida and Georgia are all dangerous. Two trips (at South Carolina and Alabama) also stand out on a slim 2006 road schedule.

Additionally, Auburn has no bye week in the 12-game schedule.

"The schedule is very competitive," Tuberville said. "It's going to be fun to watch, week in and week out. It's going to be a long year."

So, why, after all that, is Auburn still such a popular pick? It starts on the offense, where coordinator Al Borges has crafted an efficient scoring machine in his two years on the Plains.

During his debut in 2004, he helped turn Jason Campbell from a struggling, middle-tier quarterback into a first-round NFL pick. Last year, he helped Brandon Cox navigate a few bumps in his first year as an SEC quarterback.

This year, Cox is cool and confident, and he has an impressive supporting cast. Kenny Irons and Brad Lester form a solid running back tandem, and the beefed-up Carl Stewart is an intriguing option in two-back sets.

Like all good, crusty offensive line coaches, Hugh Nall has poor-mouthed his unit during preseason camp. In reality, the line should be fine this year, even with the loss of tackle Marcus McNeill to the NFL.

Center Joe Cope, guards Tim Duckworth and Ben Grubbs and tackles Jonathan Palmer and King Dunlap form one of the more experienced units in the country. Auburn has three tight ends who will get snaps -- starter Cole Bennett and redshirt freshmen reserves Gabe McKenzie and Tommy Trott.

"(Experience) is really valuable -- particularly when the seniors are in the core, where all the calls are made," Borges said. "Our center is the quarterback of the offensive line. To have him back is tremendous. He gets everyone on the same page."

The only real concern is at receiver, where Auburn lost three veterans. Several youngsters are ready to take on a larger role, but senior Courtney Taylor and junior Prechae Rodriguez will probably get most of the early snaps.

After David Gibbs' one-year tenure at Auburn, new coordinator Will Muschamp will try to work some magic on a defense that has battled injuries and attrition.

Most of the concern surrounds the secondary and the linebackers.

Three potential starting linebackers -- Tray Blackmon, Kevin Sears and Steve Gandy -- will miss time because of suspensions and injury. Senior Will Herring has moved to linebacker, leaving a hole at the safety position he vacated.

"I don't care who it is, I don't care where they're from, we need somebody to stand up and take control of the defense," Muschamp said.

In close games, the Tigers do have the benefit of John Vaughn, one of the country's best kickers.

I love the optimism and am pumped for this year. But anyone who thinks Vaughn is one of the nations best kickers - is living in fantasy land. He has the potential to be great, but in three years - well I think the stats speak for themselves.

You might want to re-think that assesment of AU's starting kicker. From Vaughn's player bio on the official AU site:

2005:

Lou Groza Award Preseason Watch List ... Preseason All-SEC First-Team ... Coaches' Preseason All-SEC First-Team ... Lindy's Preseason Second-Team All-SEC ... Athlon Sports Preseason First-Team All-SEC ... Made 12-of-20 field goals and all 50 extra points attempted ...

His 1-6 performance against LSU was his downfall, and that's why he isn't getting the same accolades this year as last year. He's still an outstanding kicker. Remember the kicker from Oregon St in 2004 that missed all those PATs against LSU? He went on to win the Lou Groza award. Every kicker is going to have one of those games. Vaughn is still an outstanding kicker despite your negative pessimism.

I love the optimism and am pumped for this year. But anyone who thinks Vaughn is one of the nations best kickers - is living in fantasy land. He has the potential to be great, but in three years - well I think the stats speak for themselves.

It never ends. :rolleyes:

I once had a date to the prom with the homecoming queen. She was not a great kisser. B)

pchamp...Have you EVER met a negative statement that you didn't embrace? :moon:

Ohhhh God man, you sir have the patience of a jack-rabbit.... :homer:

I can only hope after you graduate, you don't have to deal with people with an attitude like yours.

There is a distinct difference between constructive criticism and, well, lets just say, looking for the bad in just about everything.

I'm pretty sure JV beat himself up over that LSU game enough already. And yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing about Oregons kicker.

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?act=boardrules

Please...

Ohhhh God man, you sir have the patience of a jack-rabbit.... :homer:

I can only hope after you graduate, you don't have to deal with people with an attitude like yours.

There is a distinct difference between constructive criticism and, well, lets just say, looking for the bad in just about everything.

I'm pretty sure JV beat himself up over that LSU game enough already. And yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing about Oregons kicker.

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?act=boardrules

Please...

Preach on brother man! PC, pay special attention to rule #4 as you seem mostly have a problem with that one.

It's not the LSU game guys. I'm probably the only person I knew that didn't blame the game on him (or at least that would admit it immediately afterwards). I was not upset with or at John Vaughn at all and was very displeased with everyone that was. But hasn't he like never made a 40+ yard field goal in SEC play? And I love how you bring our 2005 preseason awards, when many of you admit that preseason awards mean nothing. Which even makes it more interesting when you are on a preseason list and then the next year not even mentioned. Damon Duval was a great kicker in 2001 and then 2002 he was on all these preseason lists and I think we all remember what happened to him. Anyone can be on a watch list - hell Jason Campbell wasn't on the watch list of many (if any) QB lists and we all saw what that lead to. Preseason awards are as good as ... most of Alabama NC's - meaningless

But again - my point to all this was: Do you really think he is one of the greater kickers in the nation? Honestly can you tell me "yes?" If you can't, then you are upset at me for bringing up negativity or making a point that happens to not be pro Auburn? I hope when you get through the day, that you can get along with people that bring up points of a different point of view. If you can't handle that, then you have a lot of growing up to do.

It's not the LSU game guys. I'm probably the only person I knew that didn't blame the game on him (or at least that would admit it immediately afterwards). I was not upset with or at John Vaughn at all and was very displeased with everyone that was. But hasn't he like never made a 40+ yard field goal in SEC play? And I love how you bring our 2005 preseason awards, when many of you admit that preseason awards mean nothing. Anyone can be on a watch list - hell Jason Campbell wasn't on the watch list of many (if any) QB lists and we all saw what that lead to. Preseason awards are as good as ... most of Alabama NC's - meaningless

Fair enough, lets let the season play out then. I know where you are going with the preseason watch lists and awards. I still think we can exercise some patience and see where he ends up at the end of the year.

Just reminding all, he is just a young man trying to do his best for OUR team.

O I agree. I hope John does, and he will do, his best. If he misses a kick then he misses a kick. He doesn't want to purposely miss them. I wish him the best and hope he ends up as one of the best kickers in the nation

But again - my point to all this was: Do you really think he is one of the greater kickers in the nation? Honestly can you tell me "yes?" If you can't, then you are upset at me for bringing up negativity or making a point that happens to not be pro Auburn? I hope when you get through the day, that you can get along with people that bring up points of a different point of view. If you can't handle that, then you have a lot of growing up to do.

Not my point at all.... I don't mind negativity, but as you should know, we are not going to skirt the board rules to satisfy your desire to be objective.

O I agree. I hope John does, and he will do, his best. If he misses a kick then he misses a kick. He doesn't want to purposely miss them. I wish him the best and hope he ends up as one of the best kickers in the nation

OK

Being objective is one thing, but your "objective" seems to have a big slant towards the "negative".

He had a bad game last year at LSU, but besides that, he had never given me any reason to doubt he is one of the top kickers in the nation. If we would have moved the ball better in the LSU game, he would not have had to attempt six field goals, a couple of them being pretty good distances. Give me a reason why he is not one of the top in the nation, not why he isn't. Sure, pre-season watch lists don't mean anything until the year is over with, but you don't get on those pre-season award watch lists withough having the stats from the previous year to back it up. Since he has been on a few of those, that means he obviously has stats that puts him up there with the top kickers in the nation. So why question his ability when apparently his stats speak for themsleves?

CAREER:

Tied for seventh in Auburn history with a .667 field goal percentage (30-for-45) ... First with 129 PATs attempted and 128 PATs made and third with a .992 PAT percentage ... Fourth among kickers with 218 points ... Eighth with 30 field goals made and seventh with 45 field goals attempted.

Link

PAT's - no offense but I could get a six year to hit a PAT.

And I said he is not one of the top in the nation because he has never hit a 40 yard FG in SEC Play. I'll say again - I did not blame him for the LSU game and I never will. I agree we should've moved the ball better. I don't look at the LSU game as why I don't think he is one of the best. But the Georgia Kicker (Coutou or whatever?) is a good one.

And those stats you brought up (anyone who wants a 67% FG Kicker is like an Alabama fan settling for 10-2 and 3rd in the West) - PATs attempted and points are not because of Vaughn, but our offense gave him those attempts.

Have to get PC's back here . . . While I agree wholeheartedly that we shouldn't engage in personal attacks against any particular player, I don't think taking an objective look at particular team / player strengths and weaknesses constitutes an attack, bashing, etc.

JV's a decent kicker, for sure - I'd certainly rather have him than many of the other SEC kickers - but I just don't see how, at this level, you can make him an All-Star when, in three years, he hasn't made a 40+ yard FG in a game that mattered (or at all?) - especially considering that Brandon Coutu made THIRTEEN 40+ yard FGs LAST YEAR.

Again, I'm not attacking the guy, just defending PC. He's got a point, so cut him some slack. Nothing wrong with objectivity. :)

And let me preface this by saying I have nothing against JV personally; like PC, I hope he proves me (in what I'm about to say) absolutely

PAT's - no offense but I could get a six year to hit a PAT.

And I said he is not one of the top in the nation because he has never hit a 40 yard FG in SEC Play. I'll say again - I did not blame him for the LSU game and I never will. I agree we should've moved the ball better. I don't look at the LSU game as why I don't think he is one of the best. But the Georgia Kicker (Coutou or whatever?) is a good one.

And those stats you brought up (anyone who wants a 67% FG Kicker is like an Alabama fan settling for 10-2 and 3rd in the West) - PATs attempted and points are not because of Vaughn, but our offense gave him those attempts.

You have no idea what you're talking about. No one is blaiming JV for the LSU loss (reading comprehension & stuff.) He was thought of before the season by sportswriters & coaches to be good enough to be reconized as one of the better kickers. His 1-6 FG record in that game blew any chance of him getting the same preseason recognition by the sportswriters & coaches this year, plus it really did a number on his stats. JV will have to be nearly perfect this year to improve his overall FG percentage. He's still the same guy.

Also FYI -- you cannot find an average 6-yr old to kick a PAT. I coached an 8-9 yr old team last year and we had only one 9-yr old kid who was coordinated & strong enough to kick it far & high enough to make a PAT. And I'm talking with a snap & hold ... in practice. We never used him in a game because his accuracy wasn't good. It's not as easy as it looks. Vaughn has missed one PAT in his career at AU.

Other things to note:

1. John Vaughn was 2nd in the SEC last year in scoring. Beating out players such as Irons, McFadden, and Rice.

2. 2nd in scoring in the SEC when just concerning kicks.

3. I dont know the national stats... but only three players in the SEC made all of their PATs. Georgia's Kicker, Tenn.'s kicker, and Auburn's John Vaughn. As a matter of fact, Vaughn also attempted the most PATs with 50 out of 50.

Good post vatz.

I am going to say it one more time...if anybody thinks that being objective means being negative about everything a player does, then you need to go back to school and go over your vocabulary again. John Vaughn had one bad game in which he had to attempt 6 freakin' field goals. Yet many wan't to remember that one game and judge his whole career so far on that one game. His stats are still pretty dang good and if you take that one bad game, in which no kicker should be attempting 6 FGs in one gae, his stats look even better. JV did not lose the LSU game, our offense lost that game!!!

Objective means seeing the whole picture. Objective does not mean looking at only the negative, PC! :angry:

Archived