Come on Brandon Cox.... BRING IT!

StatTiger

I'm from the old school in terms of good southern football. I love a strong running game and a dominating defense. Come September 2nd, it would be wonderful to see Kenny Irons, Brad Lester and Carl Stewart stomp a major mud hole in the Cougars but I want more...

How many of you remember the 1995 Ole Miss game? Coach Tuberville decided that he was going to load up the box and force Pat Nix to beat the Rebels. After all, Nix struggled the year before at Ole Miss completing only 7 of 20 passes and it was Stephen Davis and a strong defensive effort that won the game in 1994.

Pat Nix looked like a million dollars against Ole Miss in 1995. He was a precision passer that night, hitting 28 of 39 passes for 382 yards as the Tigers rolled to a 46-13 victory along with 527 yards in total offense.

Will this be a championship year for the 2006 Auburn Tigers? As much as I want to see us run all over the Cougars, a part of me wants to see our Tigers challenged Saturday night. Can you imagine those Cougars taking our running game away and Brandon Cox stepping up to lead Auburn to victory? The talent, depth, experience and coaching is there for this offense to be one of the best in school history. I want to see our opponents fear our offense as they did our defense during the lat 80's.

I want our opponents to know what "BALANCE" truly means and for the opposing coaches to feel helpless when preparing for our offense. The thought that no matter what they do as long as Auburn executes, we cannot be consistently stopped.

One of the best offenses in SEC history was the 1992 Georgia Bulldogs. They had the ability to hang 300-yards rushing or 300-yards passing on you. If you took one element of their offense away, they could still hurt you with the other.

Brandon Cox had a good season in 2005 and the door is open for a terrific 2006 campaign. Until Auburn finds it's identity on defense, the offense just might have to carry the team for a few games.

Good luck this Saturday night Auburn and go get some Mr. Cox!

War Eagle...

Yeah...what he said! :)

:au::homer:

How many of you remember the 1995 Ole Miss game? Coach Tuberville decided that he was going to load up the box and force Pat Nix to beat the Rebels. After all, Nix struggled the year before at Ole Miss completing only 7 of 20 passes and it was Stephen Davis and a strong defensive effort that won the game in 1994.

War Eagle...

Don't get me wrong. A great post. But wasn't Tater Tot the coach in 1995?

Yes. Tubby was at Ole Miss, which is why it states that Tubby "... was going to load up the box and force Pat Nix to beat the Rebels." As the coah of Ole Miss, Tubby wanted to take away AU's run game and make Pat Nix beat them. Which he did.

Don't get me wrong. A great post. But wasn't Tater Tot the coach in 1995?

I probably could have worded it differently but I was referring to Tuberville being the HFC of Ole Miss in 1995.

I'm from the old school in terms of good southern football. I love a strong running game and a dominating defense. Come September 2nd, it would be wonderful to see Kenny Irons, Brad Lester and Carl Stewart stomp a major mud hole in the Cougars but I want more...

Pat Nix looked like a million dollars against Ole Miss in 1995. He was a precision passer that night, hitting 28 of 39 passes for 382 yards as the Tigers rolled to a 46-13 victory along with 527 yards in total offense.

Will this be a championship year for the 2006 Auburn Tigers? As much as I want to see us run all over the Cougars, a part of me wants to see our Tigers challenged Saturday night. Can you imagine those Cougars taking our running game away and Brandon Cox stepping up to lead Auburn to victory? The talent, depth, experience and coaching is there for this offense to be one of the best in school history. I want to see our opponents fear our offense as they did our defense during the lat 80's.

I want our opponents to know what "BALANCE" truly means and for the opposing coaches to feel helpless when preparing for our offense. The thought that no matter what they do as long as Auburn executes, we cannot be consistently stopped.

One of the best offenses in SEC history was the 1992 Georgia Bulldogs. They had the ability to hang 300-yards rushing or 300-yards passing on you. If you took one element of their offense away, they could still hurt you with the other.

Brandon Cox had a good season in 2005 and the door is open for a terrific 2006 campaign. Until Auburn finds it's identity on defense, the offense just might have to carry the team for a few games.

Good luck this Saturday night Auburn and go get some Mr. Cox!

War Eagle...

I've got no problem with the sentiment, but hasn't the offense been pretty balanced and succesful statistically (particularly re: the stat that involves W's and L's) during CAB's tenure?

I've got no problem with the sentiment, but hasn't the offense been pretty balanced and succesful statistically (particularly re: the stat that involves W's and L's) during CAB's tenure?

Yes, the overall numbers have been balanced but the difference between a great and good QB is his ability to carry the team. Not every game mind you but those few games when the running game is taken away. Cox struggled in this department last year (GT, Wisc) but it was his first year. I have no doubt he has potential because he made "plays" last year in a few of our critical games.

Yes, the overall numbers have been balanced but the difference between a great and good QB is his ability to carry the team. Not every game mind you but those few games when the running game is taken away. Cox struggled in this department last year (GT, Wisc) but it was his first year. I have no doubt he has potential because he made "plays" last year in a few of our critical games.

The thing I am really looking foreward to seeing is B. Cox & how he performs. This will be the first time coach Borges has had a returning Q.B while at AU. And our offense has led the SEC the past 2 years. Follow?

ala Jason Campbell in 2004. That is the way everyone started out, b/c it had worked previous years. Stack the box force Campbell to make things happen. In 2004, Campbell stepped it up, as teams tried to shut down Caddy and Brown, Campbell consistently made the big plays to win games.

Like 867530...I mean 302089 said...This is BC actual third year under CAB, second as starter. I am excited to see how much he has grown since Jan 1!! Should be an exciting year AUBURN!!!!!!!!

I think we're pretty balanced. Cox didn't exactly light it up with deep balls last year but he was good when he did pass. He didn't get a ton of yards because that wasn't necessary. I think running is safer and we have a heisman candidate in the backfield. I have no problem handing it off to Kenny and letting him do his thing

Great post Stat. The mark of a great team is to have a QB that can carry the team when the running game gets shut down or that the coaches have confidence enough in to change the gameplan to fool a team.

I'd say he did a helluva job passing against Ga Tech. I know he had all the turnovers but he should have passed the ball 50 times in his first ever start. He had a ton of yards and gave us a chance to win pretty much the whole game.

I agree it would be great, but I bet after last year's attempt to beat GT through the air, CTT pulls the ball down in this one.

If it did go this way, it would do wonders in experience for our young receivers; that would be as important as showing balance to the rest of the country...

Archived