Tide prepares for Hawaii and its pass-happy offense

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/ncaafootball/lindys/inde....xml&coll=9

Crimson Tide prepares for Hawaii and its pass-happy offense

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Matt Lowe

LindysSports.com

When the Hawaii Warriors arrive in Tuscaloosa on September 2, expect an air barrage like no other and a coaching philosophy that is almost on the brink of extinction.

Hawaii head coach June Jones -- who was 19-29 as head coach of the Atlanta Falcons -- is the only coach in either college or pro football that still employs the run-and-shoot offense. Of course no one will argue about the offense's success rate (476.2 yards per game), but the amount of championships that have been won in this type of system are basically nil, zero, nada.

But that doesn't mean Alabama coach Mike Shula is expecting this to be anything less than a battle.

"This is the best opponent we've played for an opening game," Shula said. "They are very talented and very fast, very opportunistic.

"I think it will be a big test. We talked about their offense all spring and all fall. This is a group that tries to spread you out and throw the ball downfield. They get you all spread out and then they can beat you with screens," Shula said of the Warriors' run-and-shoot offense. "We will have to be able to mix up our defenses. They do a good job of breaking tackles, so we have to be a good tackling football team."

Shula believes his team has prepared well for the opener that will also be the unveiling of Alabama's expanded Bryant-Denny Stadium, which now seats 92,138 fans.

"We feel good coming out of training camp," Shula said. "We've had a good camp. We feel like we found out more about our football team. We're a young football team, but these guys are eager to make a name for themselves.

"We've got to go out there and play well and see what these guys can do."

The Hawaii air show may take the pre-game headlines, but the Alabama ground game may take all the single-game records. The Warriors were one of the worst teams in Division IA last season stopping the run allowing almost 200 yards per game. Ouch!

With Alabama's steadily improving offensive line and a great offensive backfield featuring Kenneth Darby, Alabama could spell a lot of trouble for the guys from the Pacific. Knowing the Warriors a susceptible to the run should take some pressure off quarterback John Parker Wilson, who will be making his first start with everything riding on his shoulders.

Darby recently tweaked his knee on August 21, but is ready to go. The senior running back is the school's seventh all-time leading rusher with 2,489 career yards. He enters the season needing 1,077 yards to break the career record currently held by Shuan Alexander, the 2005 NFL's Most Valuable Player. Darby has rushed for over 1,000 yards each of the past two seasons and in the past three seasons and is attempting to become the first Alabama back with three consecutive 1,000-yard seasons.

Defensively, the Alabama secondary will be tested early and often, as in every play, so it must be on its toes at all times. Cornerbacks Ramzee Robinson (senior) and Simeon Castille (junior) have good size and solid cover skills and should be able to hold their own against the smaller Hawaii receivers. Sophomore receivers Ryan Grice-Mullen and Davone Bess are both 5-10, but both caught over 85 passes last year and are perfect run-and-shoot receivers. Strong safety Marcus Carter and free safety Jeffrey Dukes have game experience but will need to play solid games facing this style of play.

Hawaii's run-and-shoot philosophy consists of four receivers, one running back, solid pass-blocking lineman, and a quarterback who has a strong, accurate arm. That quarterback for Jones again this season is returning starter Colt Brennan.

Brennan, a junior, led the nation in total offense with 4,301 yards passing, 35 touchdowns and only 13 interceptions. He is an immensely talented player who could give Alabama fits throwing the football. Considering the Rainbow Warriors were last in Division IA rushing the football last season, stopping Brennan and the passing-attack will be the focus.

It will be important for Alabama to apply pressure on Brennan with its' defensive lineman, forcing him into quick decisions. The Tide linebackers will be tested with this style of offense, but they must be patient and stay in there defensive alignments.

Over the years, teams have been successful in stopping this offense by employing 3-3-5, 4-1-5, and sometimes 3-2-6 defenses -- which allow the freedom of the defense to sit in zone coverage and then punish the receivers. Expect multiple defensive schemes from defensive coordinator Joe Kines and the defensive staff which won't allow his players to get burned by the deep-ball.

The run-and-shoot relies on quick, option routes in which the receiver (usually small, quick and fast) reads the defense and then chooses one of three routes to run. Usually defenses that don't blitz a lot are generally the ones that don't have a problem with this pass-first offense. Sounds like a Bama win to me.

It will be a shootout, but you have to wonder how the islanders will adapt to the heat and humidity of the deep south after a 4,322-mile road trip.

Darby's gonna have a field day on this defense. If it were up to me, I wouldn't pass until they stopped him.

Darby needs to get at least 25 carries.

Darby's gonna have a field day on this defense. If it were up to me, I wouldn't pass until they stopped him.

Amen.

I'm gonna be highly PO'ed if we come out throwing screens and fade routes and crap. Last season, we didn't start a single game with a running play... So who knows.

Being the Tampa Bay Bucs fan that I am. That's what use to frustrate me about Shula there. We had Alstott and Dunn in their prime but yet we started every drive off with the play action pass. With the inexperience at qb he needs to ride Darby.

Being the Tampa Bay Bucs fan that I am. That's what use to frustrate me about Shula there. We had Alstott and Dunn in their prime but yet we started every drive off with the play action pass. With the inexperience at qb he needs to ride Darby.

I know what you mean.

A lot of the time it worked (see opening play going for 87 yds against UF). But I want KD to get his Saturday. Let's win with him.

If Darby gets 25-30 touches ya'll prob. win. He gets ANY less and that means Flipper is Trying the Run and shoot yourself in the foot offense.

If Darby gets 25-30 touches ya'll prob. win. He gets ANY less and that means Flipper is Trying the Run and shoot yourself in the foot offense.

Ahhhhhhh, someone's backing off the "Beatdown Coming" rhetoric right here at gametime. Smart move. ;)

Amen.

I'm gonna be highly PO'ed if we come out throwing screens and fade routes and crap. Last season, we didn't start a single game with a running play... So who knows.

And this is why many question his coaching ability

Amen.

And this is why many question his coaching ability

I really only remember it not working 2 or 3 times the whole season. I'd rather pick up 20 yards on the first play if I can, than be staring at a 2nd and 7.

If I were coaching, I'd rather play to my strength and not have to rely on last second GW 35 yard field goals to beat 5 easy teams on my schedule.

If KD were my RB, I'd run him until he needed an IV.

If I were coaching, I'd rather play to my strength and not have to rely on last second GW 35 yard field goals to beat 5 easy teams on my schedule.

Picking up an 87 yard TD on the first play doesn't sound like a bad idea...

I'm all for running KD until he drops Saturday. But it's unfair to say that b/c we connected on nearly every first play/pass of the game last year that CMS can't coach.

Its not even supposed to be hot this weekend, so throw the heat/humidity arugement (that never works) out the window. The low Saturday is supposed to be around 65.

Ahhhhhhh, someone's backing off the "Beatdown Coming" rhetoric right here at gametime. Smart move. ;)

Nah...Still fully believe that the beatdown is a distinct poss. unlike most of you. Ofcourse I also acknowledge that Washington St. could win.

Picking up an 87 yard TD on the first play doesn't sound like a bad idea...

I'm all for running KD until he drops Saturday. But it's unfair to say that b/c we connected on nearly every first play/pass of the game last year that CMS can't coach.

Please enlighten me on this one. My memory isn't as good as it used to be. Other than Florida and one of the cupcakes on the schedule last year (Utah State, I believe), when exactly did the Tide offense show any signs of being prolific? I remember a lot of 3 and out, 3 and out, KD run up the middle, GW 35 yard FG as time expires.

Oh I agree. We *could* lose, I just highly doubt it.

Allow me to rephrase. The probability of SPUAT taking a beatdown looms MUCH larger than AU taking one. Ya'll are gonna have to pass alot so Laura Ingles Wilder gets those total yards up. You can't win the heisman with low totals.

Please enlighten me on this one. My memory isn't as good as it used to be. Other than Florida and one of the cupcakes on the schedule last year (Utah State, I believe), when exactly did the Tide offense show any signs of being prolific? I remember a lot of 3 and out, 3 and out, KD run up the middle, GW 35 yard FG as time expires.

Im pretty sure Alabama finished with more passing yards that auburn last year. We moved the ball pretty well...we were just abysmal inside the red zone. Once Closner went down, we didnt move the ball that well until the cotton bowl.

Do you guys realize that Hawaii hasnt done ANY tackling since their last real football game last season? Nobody gets tackled in their spring and summer practices.

Im pretty sure Alabama finished with more passing yards that auburn last year. We moved the ball pretty well...we were just abysmal inside the red zone. Once Closner went down, we didnt move the ball that well until the cotton bowl.

Do you guys realize that Hawaii hasnt done ANY tackling since their last real football game last season? Nobody gets tackled in their spring and summer practices.

We all know what having no contact before a big game can do to a team. "See 05' Iron Bowl" :poke:

"This is the best opponent we've played for an opening game," Shula said. "They are very talented and very fast, very opportunistic."

Not trying to flame here, but did Bama open with OU a few years ago? Or was that the second or third game, can't remember.

Yeah, :ua: had 8 more yards. Doesn't matter if you can't put it into the end zone.

June Jones is a unique coach. He hasn't done tacking practice since he became a college coach, if I'm not mistaken. I recall an ESPN interview a year ago or 2 that brought this up.

"This is the best opponent we've played for an opening game," Shula said. "They are very talented and very fast, very opportunistic."

Not trying to flame here, but did Bama open with OU a few years ago? Or was that the second or third game, can't remember.

Yeah we opened with OU in 2002 and 2003. UCLA in 2000 and 2001

Yeah we opened with OU in 2002 and 2003. UCLA in 2000 and 2001

Cool, I'm going to send that to an Ok State alum sitting next to me, so he can mock his friends. Thanks.

Archived