Sour Grapes for Mack Brown?

Bluemound Freak

Ticked off: Brown faults clock rule in loss to OSU

By Joe Schad

ESPN.com

Add Texas coach Mack Brown to the list of critics of the NCAA's new football clock rules.

Brown said Monday during the weekly Big 12 teleconference that the new rules, which were designed to limit the time of games, hurt the No. 8 Longhorns in Saturday's loss to No. 1 Ohio State.

"They scored with six minutes left and the game was over before we had a chance to do anything," Brown said. "I really hope whoever made these changes will go back and look them over."

Under the rule changes, the clock starts on a kickoff when the ball is kicked, not when the receiving team touches it; and on a first down, when the ball is marked ready for play, not when it is snapped.

Brown said while games are being shortened, the fans are being shortchanged.

"One of the great things about college football is a team's ability to come back," Brown said. "Now that's limited. Our game was 22 minutes shorter. That's a little under 10 percent of our game. That's not fair to our fans. We worry about them sitting there?"

Brown said, at worst, the old rules should be in place for the last two or five minutes of each game.

Of the new rules, Brown said: "I hate it."

I watched that game............You could have given Texas another Quarter and they would still have lost!

I wonder what his thoughts were on this matter before he lost on Saturday night?

he's bitching about 6 minutes....what was wrong with the other 54?....i don't like the rule either,but he got his ass kicked and is hunting excuses.....had the game lasted longer, the score wouldn't have been as close as it was

I have also noticed this. At the Miss State game last weekend it literally felt like we were getting 30 seconds of football to every 5 minutes of commercials.

It sucked bad. GET RID OF THE COMMERCIALS AND GIVE US OUR FOOTBALL BACK.

For what its worth, none of which will happen....

Change the clock rule back

Eliminate the 12th game

Add a Plus 1 championship

Have TV work commercials around the game, not the otherway around

But then I'm delusional.

He might have a valid point if the game had been close, but since his team didn't do anything for the first 54 minutes, what makes him think the last six minutes were going to be different?

I agree with him about the new rule. They should have the last four minutes or so be under the old rules. They really have eliminated the last 30 second comback potential.

He can blame the NCAA. The only reason the new clock rule was installed by the Rules Committee (made up of coaches) was to compensate for the wear and tear of the 12th game (approved by the NCAA Board of Directors). The coaches will revisit the rule in the offseason and may make some changes to it. As for Mack Brown, with another 6 minutes he probably would have lost by 7 more points.

I forget, was Ohio State using the same clock? <_<

The losers whine and the winners burn cars! :rolleyes:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

OSU Winners looked like national losers Sunday morning.

he's bitching about 6 minutes....what was wrong with the other 54?....i don't like the rule either,but he got his ass kicked and is hunting excuses.....had the game lasted longer, the score wouldn't have been as close as it was

In his defense, whinning did get his team into a BCS bowl a couple years ago.

Offensive coaches have been complaining about it since it was implemented, Brown isn't the only one, and he didn't like the change prior to the game either.

If it was Tuberville we would be saying, well Tommy is just telling it like it is.

Considering all our comments on ESPN, media bias, and making it out to be conspiracy theories we do quite a bit of whining ourselves in Auburn.

I'm used to the Texas haters in these parts though lol, just like I'm use to the SEC haters in Texas.

I agree with him about the new rule. They should have the last four minutes or so be under the old rules. They really have eliminated the last 30 second comback potential.

This automatically provides bias towards a team with big play offenses and against a defensive minded ball control team.

Mack Brown is a North Carolina-caliber game day coach @ a premier program. He's a good recruiter (like Fulmer) but he's a living incentive to every little man that wants to have a hundred chances before finally succeeding. Not since Gene Stallings has so much been made about so mediocre (@ best) of a coach. Point: the guy has all the substance of a fart :homer: and his "learned" football opinions deserve zero attention.

Like Tigermike said, OSU was playing by the same play clock Texas was. If Texas would have scored the necessarry TDs earlier in the game as OSU did, then he would have no reason to whine about the last few minutes of the game.

One of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Blaming the fact that you ran out of time for the reason you lost. Give me freakin' break. Regardless if you like the new rule or not, to blame a loss on lack of time left in the game for you to score is just plain stupid. Why did you not score more earlier? Why did you not keep the other team from scoring? :rolleyes:

The game I saw, seems like both teams had the same clock. Poor pitiful Brown. Hey, Chizik should have stayed here. He has 15 wins at Auburn and only 14 at Texas.

That's okay though, I think I like Muschamp better!!!

Poor pitiful Texas, those clocks just don't seem to work at your own field. Hmmmm.

First off Texas lost by more than one TD so an extra 6 or 6 minutes would not help much. This game was not even close.

I do agree that the old rules should apply during the last 4 minutes of each half. That would allow some more time for comebacks in "close" games.

I think the bad Qb play and not being able to cover Ted Ginn Jr was the reason Texas lost not the clock! I agree with most on here the games are going by so fast with so many commercials! I think the last 2 to 4 minutes of each half should go back to the old way to keep the comeback in the football game alive

I agree except I would tweak that a bit. For the last minute of the game the clock should run at half speed! :banghead:

When I told my wife about Brown complaining about the pace of the game her response: " They still play 60minutes right?" Priceless.

He lost 22 minutes of Wall clock time not Football Clock time. I suggest he does 22minutes of extra preparation so the next game this will not be an issue.

Tweaks needed:

2 Minute warning (this allows for an extra timeout something I think is needed)

2:00 mins left: Go back to the old rules. (using the current average of 17 minutes of wall clock per game and a 60 min game you would get back possibley 58 seconds each half).

So the game on average would be 13mins faster seems fair.

Just a guess but we will never see a 2000 yard rusher with the new rules

Win Win?

Just a guess but we will never see a 2000 yard rusher with the new rules

Sure we will. We can't have a playoff cause that is too many games for the student athlete but when the coffers of the NCAA need to be filled some more in a couple of years we'll be on up to 13 or 14 regular season games.

Archived