Big games suit Taylor

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/mobilereg....xml&coll=3

Big games suit Taylor

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

By EVAN WOODBERY

Sports Reporter

AUBURN -- The Catch is still immortalized in a photo in his mom's home in Carrollton, but Courtney Taylor doesn't think much about it.

Two years ago, Taylor's game-winning touchdown reception defeated LSU and sent Auburn on a path to a historic undefeated season.

That first touchdown reception of his career also helped transform Taylor from a promising young player to one of the SEC's most prominent receivers.

"The only time I ever see that catch is when I go home," Taylor said Sunday. "I'm happy I had the opportunity to be in history, but it's over with. I'm trying to start a whole new campaign my senior year and trying to make more big plays like that."

He's off to a good start. The senior caught nine passes for 103 yards in last week's SEC opener against Mississippi State. It was one of the best statistical games of his career and a clear indication that offensive coordinator Al Borges wants him to play a major role in this year's offense.

"That's what we were expecting out of Courtney," said Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville.

The expectations rise in big games, and Saturday's game against No. 6 LSU is the biggest in a while. In 2005, the season-opening loss to Georgia Tech bounced Auburn out of the national-title picture quickly. This year, the No. 3 Tigers are right in the thick of things.

"This is the game you come to college for, you come to the SEC for," Taylor said.

Although nagging injuries caused him to slump last season, Taylor has an impressive big-game résumé from his sophomore season in 2004.

In the three season-ending games against Alabama, Tennessee and Virginia Tech, Taylor caught 15 passes for 287 yards and two touchdowns.

But Taylor is best remembered for two crucial catches on Sept. 18, 2004.

The first catch came on a fourth-and-12 play when Auburn's last-ditch drive against LSU seemed doomed. Taylor sprinted out several yards past the first-down marker and came back to grab quarterback Jason Campbell's 14-yard pass.

Two plays later, Taylor caught the 16-yard touchdown. As the crowd erupted, Taylor knelt down in prayer.

He later said he was almost oblivious to the pandemonium around him, including the brief moment of fear that shot through the crowd when John Vaughn missed the extra point. (An LSU penalty gave Vaughn a second chance, and he kicked the point to win the game).

Two years later, Taylor finds that few fans have forgotten the moment. But after a lackluster 2005, he wants to create some fresh memories.

"Sometimes I get tired," he said. "It's to the point that 2005 was a disappointing season, so it's like (the LSU play) is all anybody remembers about me. At the same time, I want to do something, have a better year, so (fans) are like, 'OK, he had that year and 2004.'"

The Mississippi State game is a start, but now Taylor wants to make a mark in a big game. While getting taped up in the training room Sunday, he was kidded by student assistant Travaris Robinson about his lack of big plays against MSU.

"T-Rob was just messing with Courtney about having nine catches for only 100-something yards," said quarterback Brandon Cox. "He was telling him he should have 150. CT was like, 'Just wait until the LSU game, when the lights come on. I'm going to be ready.' That's the kind of player CT is. When those lights come on, he's ready. I think he'll have a big game this week."

Archived