Kenny not playing this saturday....

An Auburn Fan

"Auburn tailback Kenny Irons missed practice Tuesday and could sit out Saturday's non-conference matchup against Buffalo" - Source: rivals.com

If he doesn't play on saturday against buffalo, Will that hurt his heisman chances...????I am sure he is capable of putting huge numbers on saturday...

War Eagle!! :cheer::au:

I'm not sure he had a solid shot at the Heisman anyway. The media has its darlings before the season started and Kenny wasn't one of them, plus he's playing "catch-up" now after the last two Saturdays. Secondly, I think Kenny is more interested in what's good for the team, and the best thing for the team is to get him healed up for bigger fish to come. Thirdly--I'm not jumping ahead--one game at a time--but I think he'd rather have MNC ring and the best route to that is for him to be at his peak in bigger games.

Finally, he needn't worry about the pros--the Heisman might add a few million to his signing bonus, but the NFL is drooling over him already and he'll have a great career on Sundays. Risking more serious injury by playing wounded could have a much bigger impact on his pro options than the Heisman would.

His hopes may have been damaged for good when he failed to gain more than 2-3 ypc in his last two games. You know how the media are. They have their sites in someone before the season and unless someone like Irons runs for 200 ypg and 15 ypc they will not change their minds. Their sites are on the guy from OSU now that Quinn got beat. It sucks, but that's how it is.

I'm hoping his aspirations are more along the lines of what Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown and Rudi Johnson have done in the NFL...and to be truthful, fewer carries now = less wear and tear for later in the year.

It makes total sense for Irons and several others to sit this one out...that was a hellacious slugfest on Saturday.

On a tangent, but the arrangement of our schedule is damn near perfect...breathers either immediately before or after tough ball games.

he hasn't really had any spectacular games. Should have had more TD's against WSU. Didn't do very well at MSU or against LSU either. Stats are everything in the Heisman, and Kenny just doesn't have them.

Everyone knows that Kenny has been less than 100% healthy so why would he be expected to put up 200yards per game? I would rather him sit out against a team like Buffalo and get much needed rest for the rest of the season than have him hurt himself further in a game where we should not need him. Lester and company will gaine valuable playing time so let the 2nd and third team play.

We will need Kenny as close to 100% when we reach amen corner(Florida, Georgia and Bammer)

I've heard many LSU fans comment on Kenny running the ball during last game's slugfest.... Comments such as," I will say this... Kenny fought for every yard he earned... I wish we had a back like that."

Sure... we can all bet the house Kenny will not win the heisman....It takes a big media butt licking to get to that point. I will say that if Kenny keeps it up (he is the SEC leading rusher at this point in time I believe) he will be a 1st round draft pick.

While it was nice to think of the Heisman and Kenny Irons in the same sentence, he would have needed to put up monster #'s to have made the top 3. When that didn't happen vs MSU, and than again vs LSU , any hopes of a run at the trophy were toast.

Best he sits this one out, heals up, and comes back to have a great season.

I agree with most posters here that the Heisman (like the MNC) has become sort of a beauty contest awarded to the player who looks the best to the media. On the other hand, NFL scouts couldn't care less if a back had 200 yards against Buffalo. They would be much more impressed with watching a film of his 70 yard performance against LSU. He was able to create a spark in the offense against what is possibly the best defense in the country.

No need to risk a career ending injury in a game where he won't be needed. The NFL knows who he is and he has nothing else to prove to them.

I couldn't care less whether Kenny wins the Heisman, and I imagine it's not foremost in his mind. Forget about the Heisman. Forget about MNCs. Think wins, one at a time, starting with Buffalo, and everything else will take care of itself.

We learned the hard way recently that "wins are not all it takes to win the MNC." Regardless of whether Kenny wins the HC or not, if we don't score a lot of points on a team we are supposed to beat like Buffalo, we will drop in the polls, perhaps not to return, considering who ESPN and others would like to put ahead of us. Sorry, but that's just the way it is...... :au:

For a player to win the Heisman @ media-remote places like Auburn, Texas A & M, Oklahoma State and Penn State (all of which HAVE had Heisman winners), not only does the athlete have to be astoundingly good, but the University's hype machine has to be in overdrive. There's a reason USC has 7 Heismans, LA is media central. Kenny is terrific, but unless he's like a 2,000 yard rusher or does several amazing things on national TV (and ESPN stops sulking over Tubs comments), he's leaving as a first rounder w/ no Heisman, Buffalo game or not.

I really hate the Heisman.

Why? Because rather than building an offence around what it takes to win football games, offenses are designed and called to showcase one athlete. The last time I checked, football was a team sport.

"Auburn tailback Kenny Irons missed practice Tuesday and could sit out Saturday's non-conference matchup against Buffalo" - Source: rivals.com

If he doesn't play on saturday against buffalo, Will that hurt his heisman chances...????I am sure he is capable of putting huge numbers on saturday...

War Eagle!! :cheer::au:

His Heisman chances are already dead.

He had a great first game against WSU, but he's done nothing against SEC defenses. I realize that they're banged up, but both Darby & Irons have removed themselves from any consideration.

He had a great first game against WSU, but he's done nothing against SEC defenses. I realize that they're banged up, but both Darby & Irons have removed themselves from any consideration.

Not trying to start anything here but in order to remove yourself from it don't you have to be in it to begin with?

Heisman, shmeisman.

I would be willing to bet that an SEC championship and possible shot at a MNC would be more appealing. Tuberville was asked about Kenny Irons and the Heisman before the season started and he said that "We are going to do everything we can to help him win it, but this is a team sport, and that is where our priorities are at Auburn."

So, again :thumbsup: to CTT.

Not trying to start anything here but in order to remove yourself from it don't you have to be in it to begin with?

Bingo!

WHEN and WHERE was darby EVER mentioned? :headscratch:

Hmmm....I wonder...How many yards did Kenny have at this point in '05?

Archived