To the Auburn Family, Part II

DKW 86

We just got thru another week. Games were played and ultimately, we came out alright by the pollsters. I am slightly suprised.

The thread I put up Friday was supposed to pose some questions and get you to REALLY think about the polls etc. I will try and summarize here as much as possible.

1) I am extremely weary of hearing "Screw the polls..." comments: Polls are a part of the National Scene. Learn it. Live it Love it. Even if you dont want to win the BCS, the polls do provide a lot of positive fan excitement with the "Upset" angles, etc.

2) I am extremely weary of hearing "Polls are biased" comments: White is White. Black is Black. With the Tim Tebow Docu-Drama last year we saw a network whore out its credibility to push this "manufactured" for tv story about the Tebow Recruitment. Tebow was never going anywhere but Florida. The Networks are pro-actively manufacturing strife in college football. They are going all MTV on us now. It makes perfect sense that they will be doing the same thing during their regular sports broadcasts.

3) Do you want to compete for an MNC/BCS? If you want to win the MNC/BCS you better get ready to "PAY THE PRICE" to Whore yourself out to the media. You know, run up scores, buy into the ass-kissing etc. The catch here is that you get to make the decision whether you are going to play the game or not.

4) I will say without reservation that CTT and the AU Family would rather keep our collective virtue and just do as CSS said and concentrate on the SEC Title. Read the poll results yourself.

NCAA Genie says you can have one wish for next ten years. What do you pick?

Beat Alabama 10 straight? [ 9 ] [37.50%]

Win ten SEC Titles? No Bama nor BCS Title Wins [ 2 ] [8.33%]

Win 10 BCS Titles? No Bama or SEC Titles? [ 3 ] [12.50%]

Have a school team with highest character and no championships?All other SEC teams go on probation. [ 10 ] [41.67%]

NCAA Genie says you can have two wishes for next ten years. What do you pick?

10 Bama Wins and 10 SEC Wins? No BCS Titles. Lower Char. [ 0 ] [0.00%]

10 BCS Wins and 10 SEC Wins? No Bama wins. Lower Char. [ 0 ] [0.00%]

10 BCS wins and 10 Bama wins? No Sec Titles. Lower Char. [ 1 ] [4.17%]

Highest Character & 10 Bama Wins. No BCS. No SEC. [ 13 ] [54.17%]

Highest Character & 10 SEC Titles. No BCS. No Bama wins [ 5 ] [20.83%]

Highest Character & 10 BCS Titles. No SEC. No Bama wins. [ 5 ] [20.83%]

You read those results you will see the fingerprints of Dr. Petrie all over that. Feel real good about the answers. It shows the AU Family as a whole would rather keep our integrity than lose outr self respect to win. That is what I thought would come up as we got through this long winded process.

5) We stayed right where we were and even closed on :sc: Nothing negative from the results of the week.

6) The Two Polls and the Two Threads were about proving two things.

A ) That when AUN expressed its own opinion, We want our integrity more than the wins.

B ) We would like an MNC, that we 'say' we want to win an MNC. In reality, as a Family, we realize that we arent ready to pay the price to get there. That we arent going to sell out what makes Auburn "Auburn" to get there.

C) CTT and the AU Family really agree about this. That is why he is such a good match for us.

Summation:

DO: Enjoy the polls for the fan interaction, the "We just beat #1 Florida" in 2001 feeeling. Cherish those.

DO: Ignore the BCS and simply work on the SEC Title. Just like CSS said.

DO: Have Faith. You know there a lot of games left to be played. On Football Talk they were very emphatic that Cal or Oregon would easily beat USC. So stay tuned...

If the BCS Stars align, we still have our cherry. But dont worry yourself to death about the ESPN talking heads either. They are simply Media Whores doing their jobs. Whores whore themselves out.

I fully expect that the thread with the TV Market National Champiobship will become more and more apparent to everyone. The tv folks do not want the relatively much smaller SEC Fanbases dragging down their ad revenues.

Bottom Line? I hope the SEC leaves the BCS until we get a real playoff. That takes the media out of it once and for all.

If it comes down to "whoring" ourselves and changing who we are in order to win a trophy, I say they can keep the damn thing. I want to be able to enjoy watching the game for the game itself. I don't give a rats patootie about "style points" or what Herbstreit and those other jackasses say about my beloved :au: . Yes, I want to see Auburn win the NC, but I refuse to buy into the media overlordship to get it done.

I want our team to go out and be competitive, win with class, and represent our university in the highest possible manner.

Screw the BCS and work on winning the SEC title ONE GAME AT A TIME. You do that and the rest will fall into place.

If it comes down to "whoring" ourselves and changing who we are in order to win a trophy, I say they can keep the damn thing. I want to be able to enjoy watching the game for the game itself. I don't give a rats patootie about "style points" or what Herbstreit and those other jackasses say about my beloved :au: . Yes, I want to see Auburn win the NC, but I refuse to buy into the media overlordship to get it done.

I want our team to go out and be competitive, win with class, and represent our university in the highest possible manner.

Screw the BCS and work on winning the SEC title ONE GAME AT A TIME. You do that and the rest will fall into place.

Dont "Screw the Polls," Screw the BCS! as TIS said.

The only thing I could add is don't worry about playing for style points cause they can mess a team up. And style points can be really hard to come by in this conference.

Besides if for example, if beating UGA in 04 a 10 win team that had only lost 2 games in Richts tenure on the road 24-6 didn't get style points, why assume any margin of victory will get style points.

Just reading this board today, there are several articles from other sources discussing voters and media influence. I see this as a good sign cause it means more than just us are taking notice of the growing trend for marketing influence with college football.

3) Do you want to compete for an MNC/BCS? If you want to win the MNC/BCS you better get ready to "PAY THE PRICE" to Whore yourself out to the media. You know, run up scores, buy into the ass-kissing etc. The catch here is that you get to make the decision whether you are going to play the game or not.

For one, the fans have nothing to do with "paying the price" for the media and two, we might as well pony up for the firetuberville.com domain now because CTT has already said he couldn't care less about the voters. So I guess what you're saying David, is that Auburn will never amount to anything greater than an SEC champion.

Sorry David but I'm not buying it. Sounds like you've been watching too much ESPN. :thumbsdown:

WAR DAMN EAGLE! 5-0! Just win baby!

My 7 goals for AU Football

1. Play with class, honor, integrity, and within the rules

2. Teach the young men to honor themselves, their family, and their God/Creator/Maker

3. Educate young men for their future

4. Beat uat

5. Win the SEC Western Division

6. Win the SEC Champinship

7. Win the post season bowl game

No mention of bcs or mnc or poll ranking. None needed or required.....................

For one, the fans have nothing to do with "paying the price" for the media and two, we might as well pony up for the firetuberville.com domain now because CTT has already said he couldn't care less about the voters. So I guess what you're saying David, is that Auburn will never amount to anything greater than an SEC champion.

Sorry David but I'm not buying it. Sounds like you've been watching too much ESPN. :thumbsdown:

Goodness gracious. He's posing different scenarios. Over the course of the past couple of years, this board has been inundated with threads from ALL OF US about how the polls are biased and how the media wants to see certain teams play and how we got screwed etc. Yes, LSU made it to the championship game without being one of the "glamour teams" but tell me what the AP did anyway. Awarded USC the NC. And the media bought into it like crazy. USC has been the media darling ever since.

I don't want Auburn to "Whore" itself out to the media and pollsters. But isn't that EXACTLY what people said about CTT in 2004 when he was doing interview after interview and on every talk show, shouting from the mountain top how his program deserved to be in the title game? How soon we forget. Before the South Carolina game, our own players gave numerous interviews about how we were going to show the nation we belonged. There were threads on this board about how some of us wished they would just shut up and not give any bulletin board fodder to SC. Then AU went up there and escaped with their lives and the questions started about who's #2 now. Then we all started our, "Well, I never cared about the polls or style points or anything. A win is a win" talk.

Style points don't mean you beat a team by 70. It means a team that's considered one of the tops in the land and a contender for the national championship, took care of their business. Yes, I'm happy with the win and yes, I'll take a 1 point vicotry every single time. And YES, if we lose this weekend, I'm going to be right behind CTT and every coach and player in this program just like I have since the Barfield years. But right now, we're 5-0 and have a shot at the MNC if the stars align. I don't want to "Whore" ourselves out, but until someone hangs a loss on us, I do want to beat South Carolina by more than hanging on for dear life and I do want to be one of the top 2 at the end.

Thought I saw Lee Corso walking 9th Avenue in Huntsville an hour ago......he was giving it away for free, that sorry whore.

Numa, I havent even watched gameday but maybe 30 minutes this year. In 03, :lsu: got in because everyone had one loss that year. The Media didnt want then there. The media voted the MNC to USC after they beat a very mediocre Michigan team. In 04 and 05 the Media then disregarded :lsu: winning the bcs in 2003 and let :sc: claim twopeats and threepeats.

This is just about TV Market Share. I said so months ago. It is not necessarily Anti-Auburn etc. We are just one of the smaller schools in the SEC. UK, LSU, UF, UGA range from 48-27K enrollment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeastern_Conference

Look at local populations as well. Only the MS schools are in smaller towns. CTT says he wont play the fool for the media and what our polls showed very soundly said that we support that. We would have an MNC as a goal, but we are not ready to pay the price to win it.

If winning the MNC meant having a team like Miami or FSU with their thug reps, we dont want it. I think most here said it loud and proud that they think that way too.

Archived