Book recommended

TigerOne

Pretty good book. I got my copy signed by Fullwood B)

No bash intended, but I didn't enjoy that book very much. It didn't accurately depict what Auburn means in my view. Of all the AU books I own, that's my least favorite by far.

No bash intended, but I didn't enjoy that book very much. It didn't accurately depict what Auburn means in my view. Of all the AU books I own, that's my least favorite by far.

what did he say..

stooges3.gif

Could you explain a little more?

I just didn't like it. It wasn't particularly well-written and I didn't find the stories to be all that compelling or representative of what the Auburn experience means to me. They seemed to all be told from basically the same viewpoint and centered on a fairly small sample of people. Not asking for crucifixion, I just didn't enjoy the book very much. I read it once and gave it away soon after.

A much better book, to me, is "The Uncivil War".

i highly reccommend God's Receiver by Terry Beasley. kind of hard to find, but i know most big bookstores can order it (at least books-a-million). great book, not just about his time at auburn, but his life in general...goes into alot about his brain troubles as he got older. very spiritual book too.

i highly reccommend God's Receiver by Terry Beasley. kind of hard to find, but i know most big bookstores can order it (at least books-a-million). great book, not just about his time at auburn, but his life in general...goes into alot about his brain troubles as he got older. very spiritual book too.

Amen brother. This is must reading for any Auburn fan.

"Through the Eyes of a Tiger" is OK but I agree with GG it's not high on my list of best books about Auburn. The stories are good but for the most part most of us have lived the same things they talk about. It's just a make you feel good book. Read the Beasley Story and you will have tears in your eyes and be ready to suit up to play bama!!!!!!

"Through the Eyes of a Tiger" is OK but I agree with GG it's not high on my list of best books about Auburn. The stories are good but for the most part most of us have lived the same things they talk about. It's just a make you feel good book. Read the Beasley Story and you will have tears in your eyes and be ready to suit up to play bama!!!!!!

the quotes in my sig are just 2 of many great ones. read it in one sitting.

the quotes in my sig are just 2 of many great ones. read it in one sitting.

Yeah those two quotes alone get me pumped.

the injuries he talks about are pretty horrific. the hit on him in the 1970 iron bowl. he was out on his feet and fell face first into the turf and it dragged his lip onto his teeth. had to get 20 stitches the day after but during the game they just put cotton and juicy-fruit in it. was out cold for 50 minutes. or the hit in a UT game by bobby majors where he got up and was so out of it he went into the UT huddle. me being a youn-un (23) i can't imagine what that was like. amazing man.

Anyone who missed Sullivan-Beasley missed one of the great chapters in Auburn history. Reading the Beasley book will get insight into why I picked him as the best Auburn player ever on another thread here a week or so ago. As I said then, no one ever left more guts on the field than Terry Beasley.

Thats understandable... I haven't read any other Auburn books other than Cliff Ellis's little biography so I can't make the comparison with the other books.

Just found one copy of God's Receiver on ebay for $22 and it's signed by Beasley. Amazon wanted $60 a copy. :o:o

I bought my Dad Pat Dye's book a few years back. Anyone read it? I never did, but it was probably a good read.

Just found one copy of God's Receiver on ebay for $22 and it's signed by Beasley. Amazon wanted $60 a copy. :o:o

I bought my Dad Pat Dye's book a few years back. Anyone read it? I never did, but it was probably a good read.

If you are talking about "in The Arena" yes it's a good one.

If you are talking about "in The Arena" yes it's a good one.

Agreed.

Here are some books that bear reading:

Saturdays to Remember by David Housel (This book, as much as anything, made me an Auburn fan)

The Aubie Story by Phil Neel and David Housel

Shug: The Life and Times of Shug Jordan

Pat Dye: In the Arena

Stadium Stories

The Uncivil War (one of my favorites)

A War in Dixie

A Tiger's Walk

Any of the books about the 2004 season

The book I will one day write about AU

Actually, I was referring to the Pat Dye book: "I belive in Auburn and love it". It's a collection of essays and letters from Auburn people. Anyone read it? I'll ask my Dad tomorrow and see if he finished it.

Archived