Kyle Coulahan OL 3*

Jared Cooper OL 3*

Adam Herring LB 3*

Wes Byrum K 3*

A.J. Greene DE 3*

Adam Herring LB 3*

Jermaine Johnson OL 3*

Wilfred Journet LB 3*

Okay, I posed this question on another thread when Enrique Davis verbaled and I never got a response. I don't ask this in the sense of the old argument about "Well, Bama's guys are automatically rated higher and our guys drop...." I just want to get a better insight on how these ratings come about. You recruiting gurus help a brother out.

I've seen it on everything I've pulled up about the guy. RIVALS has him as one the TOP 5 BACKS IN THE NATION.....Right??? I've read that more times than I can count. To put it in perspective, out of the hundreds...no, thousands of running backs in the ENTIRE country, this guy is considered one of the top 5.

And he is rated a 4*????

Is what I've been reading wrong? Does Rivals really consider him top 5 or not? I know it makes no difference. If the kid can play, the kid can play...period. I don't care what he's rated. But, I'm just curious as to what it takes to be given top billing.

i was of the understanding that 5* vs. 4* isnt that different. At 5* player is just ranked it the top 50 players in the country regardless of posititon.

That is why I like Rivals so much more than Scout.

The Rivals star ranking is also followed up by a numerical rating.

The 5 star guys are listed at 6.1 ranking, as they are all supposed to be top 50 overall players nationwide basically.

Then, the 4 star guys are rated anywhere from 5.8 up to 6.0 depending on the awesomeness quotient.

For example, Davis is rated at 6.0, which means he may be in the 50's on the top 100 list nationwide.

The 3 star guys go from 5.5 up to 5.7. Typically a guy rated lower than 5.7 would be redshirt material at a bigger school.

Soooo, to make a short story long, Davis is within an eyelash of being a 5 star, and he IS the #5 running back in the country according to the site. There are just some QB's, WR's, etc. that are rated higher than he is on an overall national scale.

Enrique Davis RB 4*

Chris Slaughter WR 4*

Johnnie Lee Dixon ATH 4*

Eltoro Freeman LB 4*

Tim Lamb DT 4*

Ryan Pugh OL 4*

Bailey Woods TE 4*

Man, that's a beautiful list. Can't friggin wait.

Far too many "stars". uat's loyalist in the "media" will take 'em down a star or two before signing day.

it looks good to get the stars but i could really care less how many stars someone has as long as we keep seeing those W's

It also seems like there won't be any more commits coming in until after the new year when they start taking official visits.

Rumor is that we got a "silent" commit from a certain running back...sadly this is just a rumor and can't be substantiated...I really hope its true though...

I'm really getting amped up about this signing class...they're looking really athletic and have a lot of potential without too many "projects"

i read in rivals that big time out-of-state commits tend to wait til close to signing day even though they pretty much have made up there mind because of the pressure they get from their communities. If the commit early sometimes the home town will almost turn their backs on them. Past recruits say they've seen changes in attitudes towards them when they commit to an out-of-state or rival school.

List updated with Kodi's commitment and Tim Lamb's destaring....

Lamb dropped to a 3* in the updated rankings

That's funny....Just a loss of one star?

But of course, why didn't I think of that before! It's okay, it just means our recruiting class looks that much weaker but in reality, is just as strong as it every was.

He went ahead and made a first strike on the stars. He is not nearly as good now that he committed to us.

I have trouble understanding how it could be an accident when two or no stars commit to Alabama and become 4 stars and then we get a four star and now he is a three. Has anyone on our list ever been upgraded? How bout Ryan Williams who at the begining of the year was in the top 100 to watch but started leaning towards The AU and drops to a three. He better be getting a fourth star in this new set of rankings. I havn't checked out Alabama's commit list yet, can't wait to see how many of their commits got upgraded.

BTW, heard about Burns, i can't wait to see a QB that can escape pressure and throw it deep.

WDE

• 3 weeks later...

New Comittment....A.J. Greene out of Brentwood Academy. 6-5 250 4.8 .......... Very Raw but a good project. Just turned 17 so he probably has room to grow

info? what positiom? etc..

Archived