9-Game Starts at Auburn

StatTiger

The 2006 AU Tigers became the 7th AU team to start the season at 8-1 since 1951. Here is the average yards and points gained and allowed through 9 games. I've also included the total number of D1 opponents faced with a winning record and the win pct of our opponents.

Year (W)...Yds/pt...Yds/pt...(SOS)

1963 (3)...283-20...187-11...(.506)

1972 (5)...281-19...291-14...(.569)

1974 (6)...342-26...239-10...(.510)

1983 (7)...384-30...324-17...(.610)

1986 (3)...426-38...276-9....(.435)

1988 (3)...440-33...210-7....(.422)

2006 (5)...352-27...287-13...(.520)

Undefeated teams through 9 games:

Year (W)...Yds/pt...Yds/pt...(SOS)

1993 (1)...418-32...292-17...(.467)

1994 (3)...414-36...306-17...(.451)

2004 (2)...434-35...265-10...(.461)

I do not have the game stats from the 1957 or 1958 season. Note the teams that faced at least 5 opponents with a winning record during the first nine games of the season. Over the last 48 seasons, the above teams have posted the best 9-game start to a season in terms of W-L record. It basically happens once every 5 years and this is CTT's 2nd in 3 years.

As ugly as it's been, AU should be 9-1 after next Saturday, which just doesn't happen very often. Enjoy the wins as they come folks because it could be a whole lot worse. Just look back to the other 38 teams since 1958 that failed to reach the 8-1 mark after 9 games into the season.

:au::football::cheer:

Thanks for the info - it's good to to see more "sunhine pumping" :rolleyes: posts. Don't worry though someone will find something in there to b!tch about.

90, I think it's the # of teams with a winning record that we've played to this point (in the case of '06, WSU, FL, LSU, Ark, SCar)

So far those that keep trying to compare this team to the 2004 team:

The 2006 offense is not as efficient as 2004, but the 2006 defense is about the same statiscally and against a stronger schedule also. The difference is that one loss so far. The one in which every aspect of our game was asleep that day.

Heck the 2006 defense even looks better on paper then the undefeated 1993 team.

Hmmm.....

Quick question Stat, and I know I'm going to feel stupid after the answer. What is the number in ther parans () after the year?

I would guess that is the team's final ranking.

Quick question Stat, and I know I'm going to feel stupid after the answer. What is the number in ther parans () after the year?

That the number for D1 opps with a winning record?

That the number for D1 opps with a winning record?

yeah, you're right, that is what that is.

"that chart just reinforces in me that 1983 was a monster year for the Tigers".

Amen brother. That was probably my favorite year as a fan. We had a young Pat Dye, a defense that practically ALL ended up in the NFL, Bo had his best year, we got out of the doldrums, played Nine (9) bowl teams...including a top 10 Maryland and boomer Esiason for HOMECOMING, had exciting finishes (FSU, Ala, the Sugar Bowl), you could tailgate w/in a 1 minute walk of the stadium, and Randy Campbell ran that funky wishbone like nobody else (except maybe Okla.'s Jamelle Holliway). :au:

I still have a coke bottle and a Blondie's Pizza cup (1 topping pizza $3, 2 pizzas for $5) w/ the '83 schedule on them to remember those days.

Good work as usual, ST. However, there's one notable omission. What about the 1971 Season? If memory serves me right, we were undefeated to the Iron Bowl, when we were blown out by Alabama, and then performed a considerable pantswetting against Oklahoma.

Good work as usual, ST. However, there's one notable omission. What about the 1971 Season? If memory serves me right, we were undefeated to the Iron Bowl, when we were blown out by Alabama, and then performed a considerable pantswetting against Oklahoma.

I think I can answer that. Stat is looking at teams that are 8-1, not undefeated. Note the 1993 and 2004 teams are not included, either.

"that chart just reinforces in me that 1983 was a monster year for the Tigers".

Amen brother. That was probably my favorite year as a fan. We had a young Pat Dye, a defense that practically ALL ended up in the NFL, Bo had his best year, we got out of the doldrums, played Nine (9) bowl teams...including a top 10 Maryland and boomer Esiason for HOMECOMING, had exciting finishes (FSU, Ala, the Sugar Bowl), you could tailgate w/in a 1 minute walk of the stadium, and Randy Campbell ran that funky wishbone like nobody else (except maybe Okla.'s Jamelle Holliway). :au:

I still have a coke bottle and a Blondie's Pizza cup (1 topping pizza $3, 2 pizzas for $5) w/ the '83 schedule on them to remember those days.

And THAT, of course, is the year when # 5 Miami, jumped OVER # 3 Auburn to become MNC, though as we learned in 2004, that is not even possible.... And # 1 only fell to #2, leaving Auburn # 3 after a Sugar Bowl win over Meechigan. So it must have all been our collective imaginations. :puke:

:au::homer:

Did anyone mention we suck?

p.s. Thanks Stat. You are on top of your game, as usual.

Archived