Update on War Eagle VII

outoftowntiger

Yeah, another article about that was posted a few days ago. But that article did not say if Tiger, Nova, or both were going to fly, which left us wondering about that. This article clears that up. I like the way they are going to do that. Tiger makes his last pre-game flight and then Nova makes her first official flight at War Eagle VII all in the same game. Wish I could be there just for that alone. I am going to have to get me one of those calendars.

i may be wrong but i thought i heard saturday that nova was the bird that flew. maybe they want a formal introduction during the georgia game, but my introduction to the bird already happened (and he/she flew well for a first flight) :thumbsup:

i may be wrong but i thought i heard saturday that nova was the bird that flew. maybe they want a formal introduction during the georgia game, but my introduction to the bird already happened (and he/she flew well for a first flight) :thumbsup:

You are right, but I think you're getting confused about what we are talking about.

All three birds...Tiger, Nova, and Spirit have flown during our pre-game at one time or another. This is about Tiger, aka War Eagle VI, retiring and Nova officially becoming War Eagle VII. Tiger has been with AU since 1986, which makes this retirement even more special.

Auburn is golden eagle university, America is bald eagle country. I want to see Aubunr return to just flying golden eagles at games.

O boy, here comes the Golden Eagle vs Bald Eagle disucssion.... ;)

Auburn is golden eagle university, America is bald eagle country. I want to see Aubunr return to just flying golden eagles at games.

Link or somehing supporting this?

I didn't realize it was such a sore spot with some of you Auburn fans. Go back thorugh the years and every time Auburn has been on major t.v. What mascot do they show? When Aubunr was on ESPN during the '90s, the mascot shown was ALWAYS the Golden Eagle Tiger. Come ot think of it, I have never seen a bald eagle protrayed as anything Auburn until a couple of years ago when we started flying them before games. Look at all the '80s logos with the eagle flying through the AU. It is a golden eagle.

All six War Eagle mascots were golden eagles and when I think of Auburn University, that is what stands out in my mind. The bald eagle has always been a symbol of America and is therefore not unique to Auburn University. You see bald eagles flying at all kinds of special events across America. Nothing against them, but the golden eagle is Auburn.

I didn't realize it was such a sore spot with some of you Auburn fans. Go back thorugh the years and every time Auburn has been on major t.v. What mascot do they show? When Aubunr was on ESPN during the '90s, the mascot shown was ALWAYS the Golden Eagle Tiger. Come ot think of it, I have never seen a bald eagle protrayed as anything Auburn until a couple of years ago when we started flying them before games. Look at all the '80s logos with the eagle flying through the AU. It is a golden eagle.

Actually, at one time, AU did use a bald eagle in the logo. Somebody posted it a few days ago. Maybe then can post it again. I really have no preference. "War Eagle" is our battle cry. Not "War Golden Eagle" or "War Bald Eagle". The story of the War Eagle does not even mention a type does it?

Flying a bald eagle does not equal the raptor being named War Eagle <insert roman numeral here>.

As long as one of those beautiful birds fly at the games, I could care less which one it is.

Debate about it is as pointless as debating jersey color. The flying of the raptor is about 1) fireing up the fans 2) showing the majesty of a powerful bird of prey. 3) showing what the Raptor Rehabilitation center is capable of doing with the injured birds.

I remember when Tiger was not allowed to fly off of a lead or tether on the ground between two handlers. The improvements in the care of her and the other raptors is remarkable since they moved her out of the center of campus and to the rehab center.

Tiger has been an amazing representative of Auburn University, during her tenure. I look forward to Nova carrying on the tradition.

And I look forward to seeing Spirit flying at games too. How often is it that people have the opportunity to see a bald eagle fly up close?

War Damn Tiger!

War Damn Nova!

I think the legend describes the juvenile bird being found on a battlefield during the War Between the States. If that is true, the bird was probably a bald eagle. The U.S. breeding range of the golden eagle extends northward from West Texas through New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana; thence west to the Pacific. Golden eagles are rarely seen in the eastern half of the country, mostly in winter. No significant battle took place in the golden eagle's breeding range, or anywhere near it.

Having noted that, I prefer to see the golden eagle, since it's the one we've always had. I would note in fairness that Spirit conducted an awesome flight at the LSU game, circling twice, and served as an inspiring symbol of the Auburn Spirit.

I think it is likely that the first modern mascot was a golden eagle by happenstance, though that is a bit speculative on my part. Does anyone know? I think the live mascot was introduced in the early 1960s. I do recall one of them, either War Eagle I or II, escaping and being shot by a farmer prior to the 1964 AU- Georgia Tech game.

I think the legend describes the juvenile bird being found on a battlefield during the War Between the States. If that is true, the bird was probably a bald eagle. The U.S. breeding range of the golden eagle extends northward from West Texas through New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana; thence west to the Pacific. Golden eagles are rarely seen in the eastern half of the country, mostly in winter. No significant battle took place in the golden eagle's breeding range, or anywhere near it.

Having noted that, I prefer to see the golden eagle, since it's the one we've always had. I would note in fairness that Spirit conducted an awesome flight at the LSU game, circling twice, and served as an inspiring symbol of the Auburn Spirit.

I think it is likely that the first modern mascot was a golden eagle by happenstance, though that is a bit speculative on my part. Does anyone know? I think the live mascot was introduced in the early 1960s. I do recall one of them, either War Eagle I or II, escaping and being shot by a farmer prior to the 1964 AU- Georgia Tech game.

Actually, War Eagle I was really ever had any hard "evidence" about it. War Eagle II was in 1930 and I think was rescued by a farmer also. Then in 1960 War Eagle III started the modern War Eagles that continued on without any breaks in between them. I think War Eagle III was rescued by a farmer also.

Is Spirit the eagle that flew at the LSU game??? Because which ever bird that was (Don't get me wrong they are all magnificent) but whichever bird that was did an AMAZING JOB... I mean he flew for a very long time and circled twice and both time this bird must have only been 10 feet above my head. I have seen the eagle fly but this was definitely the most unique for me.

Is Spirit the eagle that flew at the LSU game??? Because which ever bird that was (Don't get me wrong they are all magnificent) but whichever bird that was did an AMAZING JOB... I mean he flew for a very long time and circled twice and both time this bird must have only been 10 feet above my head. I have seen the eagle fly but this was definitely the most unique for me.

They way you will know which one is flying is that Spirit is a bald eagle and Nova is a golden eagle. With Tiger retiring, I am guessing Spirit and Nova will be the only two in the battery until another eagle can be trained, if one is not already.

By what I have seen before, it seems like Spirit does take a little more time in the air then Nova or Tiger does.

That was Spirit.

Spirit has been a nice fill-in, but the official War Eagle is a golden eagle, period.

Link or fact to back this up?

I may be wrong but I think the reason we used golden eagles exclusively for a long time had nothing to do with the "official" bird being golden or bald but rather that it was prohibited to use the bald eagle (endangered species thing). As Whiskey points out above, the eagle in the legend was likely a bald eagle.

Guest Tigrinum Major

While the existence of the first War Eagle cannot be verified, all the ones since then have been golden eagles. I don't know of the official stance of the University, but War Eagles II-VII have all been golden eagles.

Will Nova be renamed Tiger?

Honestly I think a lot of people are turning this into more than it is as far as if the official bird is a gold or bald eagle... Honestly I think the official bird is simply just "the eagle" I mean the whole point is that they rescue these animals and nurse them back to health while giving them a good home and they train them to fly during our halftime game... The flights are mainly because the birds have to fly everyday and as I saw in some video on youtube about the birds... "The birds fly everyday just sometimes theres 87,000 people there.

.....I mean the whole point is that they rescue these animals and nurse them back to health while giving them a good home and they train them to fly during our halftime game...

Please remember that we've had a golden eagle mascot long before Fish and Wildlife (the Raptor center) came to the Eagle's Cage with a pair of boltcutters. Long before there were pregame flights to "promote wildlife conservation", there was simply Tiger, the symbol of Auburn University. The point is not the flights (although they are nice), the point is the bird - OUR Bird - the WAR EAGLE.

Archived