Butch Davis: Alabama?

DKW 86

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/foot...le_over/?page=2

Right job for the man?

The rumor mill has former Miami coach Butch Davis the front-runner to get the North Carolina job, which opened when Tar Heel officials fired John Bunting, effective at the end of the season. Davis says he wants to get back into coaching, but does he want to coach at North Carolina, where football is not the main act? UNC officials would like to get someone in place by mid-December at the latest to take advantage of a full recruiting season. But Davis might hold out to see what opens up. One long shot possibility could be Alabama. Although coach Mike Shula's team was 10-2 a year ago and went to the Cotton Bowl, the Tide are 6-4 this season after a stunning (to Tide fans) loss at home to Mississippi State Saturday. With a game at LSU this week and then the regular-season finale against Auburn, the Tide could finish 6-6, which would irritate more than a few backers. Whether it would prompt a switch is uncertain, but if it does, count on Davis, if he is still available, to get a call. One thing is sure. At Alabama, football is very much the main act. And that is why UNC officials may push Davis for a decision sooner rather than later.

http://www.collegefootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Updated Friday, November 3, 2006 at 10:44 p.m.

Davis Still Wants Miami Job?

There is speculation tonight that former Miami/Cleveland Browns coach Butch Davis is being heavily courted by North Carolina to be their new football coach for 2007. Sources tell CFT, however, that even though some media outlets are reporting the deal is done, no agreement has been reached.

Several NFL sources tell us that Davis may be using the UNC interest to leverage a better deal from the University of Miami, which has supposedly settled on Davis to be its new coach after Larry Coker is fired at the end of this season.

Another source tells CFT that he doesn't "think that Davis will go to UNC since football will always be second fiddle to basketball there ... and Butch wants to be the number one guy wherever he goes." Davis's mind could change, however, if he "is given a boatload of money, even though he still gets four million next year from the Browns for the last year of his contract."

Check back all weekend for more.

Another source tells CFT that he doesn't "think that Davis will go to UNC since football will always be second fiddle to basketball there ... and Butch wants to be the number one guy wherever he goes."

If this is true, he won't go to uat since they're second fiddle to Auburn (and apparently Mississippi State).

Another source tells CFT that he doesn't "think that Davis will go to UNC since football will always be second fiddle to basketball there ... and Butch wants to be the number one guy wherever he goes." Davis's mind could change, however, if he "is given a boatload of money, even though he still gets four million next year from the Browns for the last year of his contract."

I actually disagree with this. Having a number of UNC friends I think they will not only support a winning program but wil do the things they need to do to help get one. This is not a high pressure situation. The folks there will let anyone who comes in have the time required to field a consistant program.

From all accounts I hear, Shula will get at least one more year to prove he's the right coach for the job. Hell, he's already proved that to me! :roflol:

Say it with me, "ONE MORE YEAR, ONE MORE YEAR!!!" :cheer:

Would it cost a butt load to buy out Shula's contract?

Not that they couldn't ocme up with the money...I just don't see it happening this year.

FWIW, Finebaum reported that the buyout for Sheila's contract is $4 million. Hopefully that's enough to keep him there!

WDE!!!

:au:

Archived