Strength of Schedule

BanditQb

From Sagarin:

Auburn is 1 of 4 teams in the top 20 (per Sagarin) that has played 2 top 10 teams (Tenn has played 3). Auburn is the ONLY team in the country that has beaten 2 top 10 teams.

Auburn is 1 of 6 teams in the top 20 that has played 4 or more top 30 teams.

Yet Auburn's schedule is ranked 40th.

Tidbits:

California - played no teams in top 10 and 3 teams 11-30. Schedule rank 3rd.

USC - no teams in top 10. Rank 4th.

Of the top 10 hardest schedules, 7 belong to the Pac-10 with only Oregon (17), Oregan State (11) and Arizona State (14). Therefore all Pac-10 teams, who play each other mostly, are in the top 17. The SEC only has 2 teams with a schedule ranked in the top 25.

Does anyone know how the schedule rankings are calculated? Is it based on how far West the stadium is? So shouldn't Hawaii have the hardest schedule?

Does anyone know how the schedule rankings are calculated? Is it based on how far West the stadium is? So shouldn't Hawaii have the hardest schedule?

Never understood it myself. I do know that Hawaii would have had a monster of a tough schedule except UAT was on it so that really brought it down.

PAC-10 has the hardest schedule in all the computer polls. Looks good for USC or CAL to jump a 1-loss SEC team. Even though a two loss SEC team waxed CAL.

And a 1 loss Pac-10 team waxed Arkansas.

From Sagarin:

Auburn is 1 of 4 teams in the top 20 (per Sagarin) that has played 2 top 10 teams (Tenn has played 3). Auburn is the ONLY team in the country that has beaten 2 top 10 teams.

Auburn is 1 of 6 teams in the top 20 that has played 4 or more top 30 teams.

Yet Auburn's schedule is ranked 40th.

Tidbits:

California - played no teams in top 10 and 3 teams 11-30. Schedule rank 3rd.

USC - no teams in top 10. Rank 4th.

Of the top 10 hardest schedules, 7 belong to the Pac-10 with only Oregon (17), Oregan State (11) and Arizona State (14). Therefore all Pac-10 teams, who play each other mostly, are in the top 17. The SEC only has 2 teams with a schedule ranked in the top 25.

In my opinion, it is based on last year's results computed into this years. Its all math, algebra, calculus or some crap like that (I use the word 'crap' in regards to math, due to the BCS BS, even though I love to do math - don't ask me why I do)!

PAC-10 has the hardest schedule in all the computer polls. Looks good for USC or CAL to jump a 1-loss SEC team. Even though a two loss SEC team waxed CAL.

OK I'll play...AU waxed WSU and LSU embarassed Arizona. The PAC-10 is not great shakes and their schedules should not be overrated the way that they are...Period. How in the Hell USC is anywhere near the MNC after losing to a bad Oregon State team is beyond me. Cal did get waxed by UT and yet they are a media darling and now in the MNC mix (how does a MNC contender get 42 hung on them?), but you don't hear about Arkansas (50, 42? What's the difference?) being worthy of a MNC shot in the same conversation do you? The BcS is a joke...I would love to see Rutgers be the only undefeated team and then get left out of the MNC, boy what great conversation that would make for everyone! Except as usual, we still won't have a real National Champ. I am sick to death about hearing that we are the best conference and yet we constantly get crapped on, like a newly washed car. It would be a travesty if UF, AU or even Arky didn't get a shot if they run the table and win the SEC title...just as it was in 2004.

Schedule A)

#1 & #101

Schedule B)

#50 & #51

Comp SOS says they are equal. This is true if you average the difficult that every team in the nation would have with that schedule. But for a top 10 team, its obvious schedule A is tougher.

The problem is that playing against Buffalo instead of Temple rewards you in the SOS department. While it is true that teams better than Temple but worse than Buffalo would have an easier schedule that included Temple but did not include Buffalo, the two teams are virtually identical for any team in the top 50 or so.

There is no cut off in the SOS that basically says "this team is a guarenteed win". While both Temple and Bufallo are gaurenteed wins, someone who plays Buffalo instead of Temple will have a better computer SOS, but the logical SOS will be the same.

OK I'll play...AU waxed WSU and LSU embarassed Arizona. The PAC-10 is not great shakes and their schedules should not be overrated the way that they are...Period. How in the Hell USC is anywhere near the MNC after losing to a bad Oregon State team is beyond me. Cal did get waxed by UT and yet they are a media darling and now in the MNC mix (how does a MNC contender get 42 hung on them?), but you don't hear about Arkansas (50, 42? What's the difference?) being worthy of a MNC shot in the same conversation do you? The BcS is a joke...I would love to see Rutgers be the only undefeated team and then get left out of the MNC, boy what great conversation that would make for everyone! Except as usual, we still won't have a real National Champ. I am sick to death about hearing that we are the best conference and yet we constantly get crapped on, like a newly washed car. It would be a travesty if UF, AU or even Arky didn't get a shot if they run the table and win the SEC title...just as it was in 2004.

Believe me... I'm not against you. But what can we do? Money makes the world go round... until it stops making the Earth spin you wont ever see a college football Div 1-A playoff.

I'll paraphrase from Bull Durham:

CRASH

You think I could make it to the

BCS as a coach?

ANNIE

You'd be great, just great...

(rattling quickly)

'Cause you understand non-linear

thinking even though it seems

like the BCS is a linear equation

'cause of the lines and the box

scores an' all--but the fact is